Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA333 View Post

Wow! I'm not really sure *how*. I was just fooling around, pricing things out, when I got the free dining pin. DH didn't even want to go - we went to MK for one day last year while we were on a larger Florida trip, and he though that was enough Disney. (???!!!)

The kids and I REALLY want to go back, and since he is always the good guy, LOL, he agreed to it if it was under $3000.

Challenge!!!

So, free dining was a start - then I looked at airfare. DD10 and I went on a girls trip to Minneapolis last year through Spirit Airlines, so my $9 fare club was still in effect. I went on Spirit's website and looked for the days with the lowest fare. I also had to work around only taking up to 4 days off since we weren't expecting to take a vacation and we had used most of our vacation days for two other mini-trips this year. So, I found that Thursday - Monday were the cheapest fares - $58/each way, per person. I added a checked bag for $40 (we will bring 16X12 personal bags as well, for free), and Voila! $628.90 total roundtrip for the 5 of us.

Since we will have 5 travelling, and DS7 is a skinny 45 lbs and barely 4 feet tall, POR was the best option. AOA and the other value suite were more expensive. POR also came with the regular DDP (free, remember!). I also opted for 3-day tickets because last time we were in Fl, we stayed at the Hilton on I-Drive and my kids would have seriously stayed at the pool for the entire 6 days we were there and been totally happy.

The 3-day tickets actually work out great for us, anyway, because DD LOVES Africa/Asia animals (big cats especially) and is really the only one who is super excited about going to AK. DS13 LOVES Star Wars and would love DHS, but could care less about seeing an animal. I would like to do it all, but DH and I decided that he would take DD to AK and I would take the boys to DHS on one of the days, then we would do Epcot and MK the other two as a family. Our flight gets in around 2pm the first day, so I know that the kids are going to want to check out the pool before we go to dinner at O'Hana at 8pm. We will have to leave for the airport at about 3pm the last day, so again, another pool day, and possibly DTD if the kids want to (although I doubt they will!)

So, the resort and tickets priced out at about $2100 and the airfare at $628. So, my math is a little off....the total was $2728 out the door

4 nights/5 days, airfare for 5, and free dining! We can do it! The kids have NO idea...we are surprising them the morning of the trip. Wen they wake up, they will be heading to the airport instead of school. They will be taking a total of 2 days off of school due to the vacation wrapping around a long holiday.

Whoo-hoo!
Just wondered if you got the MYW pkg for resort and tickets as you will receive DQ vouchers if so. This may be a factor in the kids wanting to do DTD ;-)
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat73 View Post
How did you get your trip so cheap? We are there in October 6-12. 7 days, 6 nights at pop century with hopper and deluxe dining with airfare from Ohio 4 people with insurance is 5,800$!
Simple answer: you're paying for your deluxe dining.

6 nights, makes it over $600 per adult (which is anyone over 10) and about $180 per child 3-9. So if you've got, say, 3 "adults" and 2 children, you're paying $2200 just for the dining. If you've got 4 "adults" then you're paying $2600 for the dining. It adds up, especially with the deluxe plan.

The OP is taking a free dining plan (regular plan, not deluxe). All they are paying for is room and tickets, above their airfare cost, and insurance if they added that - it's $150 or so if bought through WDWTC with the package.

They are probably getting a break on flights too, since they are using Spirit - it's one of the least-expensive airlines (they do recoup a considerable portion of that in baggage and other fees).
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
allicat73
Earning My Ears

Awesome! Yeah wish we had spirit airlines! Have fun and good job!!!
allicat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
allicat73
Earning My Ears

My dates most likely aren't going to qualify for free dining, so I'm hoping for a hotel discount!
allicat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureJumpr View Post
Simple answer: you're paying for your deluxe dining.

6 nights, makes it over $600 per adult (which is anyone over 10) and about $180 per child 3-9. So if you've got, say, 3 "adults" and 2 children, you're paying $2200 just for the dining. If you've got 4 "adults" then you're paying $2600 for the dining. It adds up, especially with the deluxe plan.

The OP is taking a free dining plan (regular plan, not deluxe). All they are paying for is room and tickets, above their airfare cost, and insurance if they added that - it's $150 or so if bought through WDWTC with the package.

They are probably getting a break on flights too, since they are using Spirit - it's one of the least-expensive airlines (they do recoup a considerable portion of that in baggage and other fees).
Yes...a whole $40 bucks with our family for a checked bag!!! LOL It's OK - I know how it works. And while I'm the first to agree that Spirit is not first class flying by any stretch, it's going to get us there safely (I hope! But if it doesn't, there will be bigger things to worry about LOL)

The "break" comes in with the $9 fare club. It's $59 annually, and I paid that to get the lower fare when DD and I went to Minneapolis last year. This time, we are still covered by it, so our flights were $59 each way, per person, out the door. The only thing we paid "extra" for was one checcked bag, which was $20 per flight, a total of $40 for the trip.

I would not want to fly Spirit on a long flight, but the 2.5 hours from Chicago to Orlando will be fine. I don't like peanuts anyway, so I don't feel like I'm not getting ripped off not being served some! And, Spirit lets you bring your own food and beverage on the plane, so I don't feel like I need to pay extra to have a snack. None of us are exceptionally tall, so legroom is fine, and as long as we have a working restroom and a seat for the flight, we're good!

is it the best airline out there? Most would say no. I see why - really, I do. Is there any that are *that* much better that I would pay a whole lot extra for the flight? Nooo......not to just go to Florida.
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Brewer View Post
Just wondered if you got the MYW pkg for resort and tickets as you will receive DQ vouchers if so. This may be a factor in the kids wanting to do DTD ;-)
Oh, that's right! We should get the vouchers, too. But, I think each party only gets 2? DS13 would probably like to go back (we went there last time, as a family), but DD10 and DS7 are too young to go in alone, so we will see if we even do it. Maybe.

SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

I've got nothing against Spirit lol... use em all the time. We're at about 2 1/2 hours to MCO ourselves, it's not a problem.

And we've more than mastered the travelling light to WDW thing, long ago - just don't need that much stuff to hang out in the parks. And hardly ever buy anything substantial for souvenirs - but even so, UPS will take it home cheaper than Spirit would lol

And on DQ: if you go later in the evening, about 2 hours before they close, they (or at least they used to) offer deeply discounted tickets - what with two freebies and the rest discounted, it might help if you wanted to go...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Rosiekins
Is going to Disney World!!

Wow! Good job on the budget trip! I think everyone is right and you will have plenty of food. However if you really don't want to have to say No to anything this trip I would plan a little extra for Snacks. I know you each get a snack credit a day but not every snack works for a credit. So if someone has their little heart set on a caramel apple you will have to pay OOP for that treat. Will your kids have spending money? Maybe you could just say if you want a non credit snack you have to pay for it yourself.

We always pay OOP for our breakfast unless we have an ADR. DH and I split a Child's breakfast plate from POP. With the refillable mugs we always grab the drink that comes with it to save for later. I can't bring myself to pay for breakfast with a quick service credit, it seems like such a waste. The kids meal is (or was) around 5 bucks so it was a pretty good deal for 2.

You could also put in an order with Garden Grocer, Breakfast foods like granola bars, poptarts, oatmeal packets (you could pack those, or a bag of the perfect portion oatmeal) and throw in a case of water so you won't spend those lovely snack credits on drinks. You could have Amazon deliver it also. You could also pack Breakfast food in your one checked bag and have the room it took up for souvenears on the way home.

We are going in NOV also from the 5th to the 20TH, and staying at POP. Maybe we will see you! I hope you have a great trip!

Typhoid Wendy spreads the Disney Pox, a PTR

DH Me Baylor Smumbert

Etsy ID: BabyBadger
Rosiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

If you only eat 2 meals a day at home then the DDP should be enough food for you.

We eat 3 meals a day at home so there is always breakfast OOP for us.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: