Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #511
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

I'm actually surprised to learn that you haven't run before. I know you work on the elliptical, but you look to me like a person who has a body that's made for running. Now I know we can all run (case in point, I've run a 5K and my body is NOT made for running ) but I didn't realize you hand't. A warning - it's addictive. I'm glad you have someone to guide you through the process, to know when it's healthy to continue and stop to prevent injury. After my knee surgery, I'm extremely leery of injury. My doctor would never fully commit and say I caused my knee issue by running, but did once describe it as damage to the bone after repetitive use (every time I bent my knee, overgrowth on my cartilage would scrape my bone). So it could have been something that developed my whole life or something that I made worse pounding on it running. Who knows?

Sorry for the life story! My long and rather convoluted point is enjoy yourself but be careful! Listen to your body, and it won't steer you wrong.

And as to the Southwest checking flights question, this may reveal a bit more about my personality than I'd like, but we're all friends here, eh?

I check every day, multiple times, when I think of it, when I'm looking for a flight to go down. And there is no rhyme or reason. It's cheaper to fly on certain days than others, yes. It's also cheaper to buy one ticket at a time, put in 4 people and watch the cost go up. But to me, it seems completely random as to when flight prices get lowered, and I've gotten credits (or points back) on days I didn't even think I'd see a decrease. I hope that helps a little bit. It's obsessive, I realize but I don't think we'd be on the DIS if we didn't have a little bit of that in us.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #512
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on the running. So glad you've found something that you can enjoy (as much as one can enjoy exercise anyway ) And how terrific to have a Disney race to motivate you!!

Thanks for the shin splint info. I'm not really running but still struggle with them just doing regular cardio sometimes. I think I need to look into some new shoes.

The Starlit Hui looks super fun (and hurrah for free!) and Monkeypod is for sure going on my to-do list. I entered to win the trip the DIS is giving away... fingers crossed!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #513
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Okay I am all caught up with the chats !!I was soooo tired last night I went to bed at 8 p and slept till 7a this morning !! I do feel much less exhausted !! 11 hours of sleep will do that!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #514
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
The Hui looks like a lot of fun! I understand your comment about a full blown Luau, but boy do I love the roasted pig! Of course, I can easily do without the poi!
I agree with you about the roasted pig, YUM!!!!

Quote:
Looks like another great time at Monkeypod, and your food looks good! Of course like Jeff, they would have me at the mashed potatoes!!!
He could live on mashed potatoes! Dinner was outstanding, we couldn't have been happier.

Quote:
Jeff's app is really cool!!!
It is! I actually downloaded it to my phone last night as we had such a pretty moon here and were enjoying wine on our front porch. Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I'm actually surprised to learn that you haven't run before. I know you work on the elliptical, but you look to me like a person who has a body that's made for running.
Looks are deceiving! I tried to run several times in jr. high and HS and it was disastrous. Of course being told that I looked like a frog playing basketball (the way I "hopped" down the court) didn't do much for my self esteem or motivation in that area either. I imagine the monstrous bunion I had at the time didn't help either. I've bounced around on the cardio stuff over the years good old aerobics back in the day, cycling, then zumba, stair-master, elliptical, cross trainer, both kinds of bikes (but no spinning) but nope, never running. And never anything all that intense in general. I'm a 30-60 minute cardio gal unless it's hiking. Then I can go for hours.

It's funny though, they say cross training doesn't help with running but I totally disagree. I can't imagine how much harder this would have been were I not doing the things I'd been doing and I know the lower body strength stuff has definitely helped avoid hip flexor issues

I had technically run twice before this started in late April, 2 5K training runs with Evan for black belt tests. But that's it and I did not enjoy either one! It did tell me, much as I really didn't want to know it, that I could do it.

Quote:
Now I know we can all run (case in point, I've run a 5K and my body is NOT made for running ) but I didn't realize you hand't.
I disagree with this. Your body is made just as much for running as mine is, possibly more. Everyone was made to walk and arguably to run if they want to. It's like the 6foot + person being made for basketball. Maybe, maybe not. The 5'8" guy may be more scrappy, motivated and aggressive and a far better player.

Quote:
A warning - it's addictive. I'm glad you have someone to guide you through the process, to know when it's healthy to continue and stop to prevent injury. After my knee surgery, I'm extremely leery of injury. My doctor would never fully commit and say I caused my knee issue by running, but did once describe it as damage to the bone after repetitive use (every time I bent my knee, overgrowth on my cartilage would scrape my bone). So it could have been something that developed my whole life or something that I made worse pounding on it running. Who knows?
Cardio is addictive in general I think, I just feel better after some of it. I really should do more weights on my gym days but hate to give up the cardio entirely (and the calorie burn lol). It is nice to be moving towards a point that feels more natural in stride and breathing and have moments of just enjoying it. I had a cool moment this morning of that, it was nice.

Are you going to try to run again?

Quote:
Sorry for the life story! My long and rather convoluted point is enjoy yourself but be careful! Listen to your body, and it won't steer you wrong.
Well with all my injuries I am pretty paranoid and careful so hopefully I can listen appropriately. My neck is not 100% at the moment but I don't think it's from the running, I think it's a combo of attempting light weights twice and then pruning. Which sucks and really ticks me off but I don't think it's from running. Still, I'm off to see my active release gal on Tuesday to see what's what and did made sure to spend a good 20 minutes stretching yesterday.

Quote:
And as to the Southwest checking flights question, this may reveal a bit more about my personality than I'd like, but we're all friends here, eh?

I check every day, multiple times, when I think of it, when I'm looking for a flight to go down. And there is no rhyme or reason. It's cheaper to fly on certain days than others, yes. It's also cheaper to buy one ticket at a time, put in 4 people and watch the cost go up. But to me, it seems completely random as to when flight prices get lowered, and I've gotten credits (or points back) on days I didn't even think I'd see a decrease. I hope that helps a little bit. It's obsessive, I realize but I don't think we'd be on the DIS if we didn't have a little bit of that in us.
I always put it in for 1 person, have for years. I need to probably check the flight a little more often than I do but it seems a bit early for much movement but I do agree, no rhyme or reason sometimes on drops. Sure wish I could track in Yapta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Congratulations on the running. So glad you've found something that you can enjoy (as much as one can enjoy exercise anyway ) And how terrific to have a Disney race to motivate you!!
exactly, as much as anyone can enjoy exercise. I do admit, a lot of my run this morning was quite pleasant, that was cool.

Quote:
Thanks for the shin splint info. I'm not really running but still struggle with them just doing regular cardio sometimes. I think I need to look into some new shoes.
I've gotten them from walking and from Zumba. Really bad in Zumba, my first pair of zumba shoes just gave out one day, it was crazy and the next pair just never seemed quite right. I now realize that I probably should have had inserts in them and it would have helped quite a bit.

Quote:
The Starlit Hui looks super fun (and hurrah for free!) and Monkeypod is for sure going on my to-do list. I entered to win the trip the DIS is giving away... fingers crossed!
You would love Monkeypod! It is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really liked the Hui and we also really liked the fact (largely time of year) that it felt like the crowd was 50% adult only at least. We met so many couples and adult groups it was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Okay I am all caught up with the chats !!I was soooo tired last night I went to bed at 8 p and slept till 7a this morning !! I do feel much less exhausted !! 11 hours of sleep will do that!!
YAY! Sounds like you needed it Rosie!

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-21-2013 at 10:56 PM.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #515
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Loved the commentary on the Hui. Sounds like a great relaxing activity. And Free helps too.

I really need to get running again. The weather, the lack of time and my general laziness right now is keeping me from starting. Once I do I will keep it up but I need to start..... soon.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #516
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

YAY! Sounds like you needed it Rose
I sure did !! Tomorrow I can sleep in a bit too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Loved the commentary on the Hui. Sounds like a great relaxing activity. And Free helps too.

I really need to get running again. The weather, the lack of time and my general laziness right now is keeping me from starting. Once I do I will keep it up but I need to start..... soon.
I never had the energy to run!! But was the time when I could dance the night away!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #517
TarzansKat

I should probably clarify my previous statement in regard to running. I don't think my body is made for running, but I think anybody can learn the right way to run for their body, if that makes sense. Some people have a natural build that will lend itself to an easier learning period, but again, that's all dependent upon what kind of shape they're in to begin with.

And I agree in regard to cross training absolutely being helpful! When you're in better shape over all, it's MUCH easier to run and get back into running. Case in point, I haven't been able to do anything but the elliptical really since my surgery. I've tried to run a couple of times, but I still have pain in my knee. If I use KT tape, it's much better.

Now a couple of days ago, for the first time, I was on the treadmill and thought, I'm just going to run. This had been after weeks of alternating walking and the elliptical machine as my means of exercise and in the past few weeks, I've been exercising 5 times a week. Now with that build up when I was feeling good on the treadmill a couple of days ago, I said, I think I feel like running. So I did. For about ten minutes, 2 five minute intervals with walking in between. I tried for another five minute interval and after a minute I could "feel it" in my knee, so I stopped. No KT tape, no assistance really, just me, running. That was a big deal.

So yes. Cardio (and strength training) absolutely do help. And like you, I'm reluctant to give up the calorie burn of cardio completely, since it's significantly more than running until I get back to my 5K status.

And now, to bring it all back around and talk Disney, look forward to all the running you can do around the resorts when you're there!

See? I tie in.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #518
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I am a big fan of free, Hawaiian music in general, ukelele and guys with fans and flames...well that part didn't hurt either.

Quote:
I know what you mean, once I committ to something then I have to stick with it so you need to be ready to just go there. I'll buy weather and lack of time but not general laziness. You have more energy in your little finger than I have in my whole body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I sure did !! Tomorrow I can sleep in a bit too!!!

I never had the energy to run!! But was the time when I could dance the night away!!!
I bet you could dance the night away yay for sleeping in

Quote:
I should probably clarify my previous statement in regard to running. I don't think my body is made for running, but I think anybody can learn the right way to run for their body, if that makes sense. Some people have a natural build that will lend itself to an easier learning period, but again, that's all dependent upon what kind of shape they're in to begin with.
We can agree to disagree on this one

Quote:
And I agree in regard to cross training absolutely being helpful! When you're in better shape over all, it's MUCH easier to run and get back into running. Case in point, I haven't been able to do anything but the elliptical really since my surgery. I've tried to run a couple of times, but I still have pain in my knee. If I use KT tape, it's much better.

Now a couple of days ago, for the first time, I was on the treadmill and thought, I'm just going to run. This had been after weeks of alternating walking and the elliptical machine as my means of exercise and in the past few weeks, I've been exercising 5 times a week. Now with that build up when I was feeling good on the treadmill a couple of days ago, I said, I think I feel like running. So I did. For about ten minutes, 2 five minute intervals with walking in between. I tried for another five minute interval and after a minute I could "feel it" in my knee, so I stopped. No KT tape, no assistance really, just me, running. That was a big deal.
The elliptical is great for the knees but that's great you were able to to do a little bit and see some progress, very exciting. Take it slow

Quote:
So yes. Cardio (and strength training) absolutely do help. And like you, I'm reluctant to give up the calorie burn of cardio completely, since it's significantly more than running until I get back to my 5K status.

And now, to bring it all back around and talk Disney, look forward to all the running you can do around the resorts when you're there!

See? I tie in.
Ah well ultimately it's about runDisney events so it's all about Disney as far as I'm concerned. LOL! I do think the strength training, even a little, can really help new runners avoid some of the common hip issues in particular and upping the incline resistance on the elliptical is a great way to work on muscle balance and can help as people start to run hills. I am just a bit surprised literature from folks like Galloway don't push that at all, seems really silly to me. Foam roll and stretch...great but those aren't conditioning items, they are pre-post treatments...getting everything else stronger works on the bigger picture.

Which is not to say I do all of that mind you, I'm about as tight as they come! It is fun to think of doing some running at Disney around the resorts, hopefully I can test it out in Dec!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #519
TarzansKat

There's really nothing like a Disney race. Once you've done one, you'll be hooked, believe me! I've done on 5K and I'd love to be able to do another.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #520
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
There's really nothing like a Disney race. Once you've done one, you'll be hooked, believe me! I've done on 5K and I'd love to be able to do another.
I am looking forward to it. Part of me wishes it wasn't so far away and the other part is glad
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #521
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Monks and Trading Winds

We had been lounge lizards for two days straight. Today we planned to mix that up a bit. Yes, it was time to get off the lanai and out of the loungechair! When I was planning the trip well, I didn't do much planning. Booked it, got flights, kept getting the car price down and really that’s about it. Got a few notes on places to eat and shop but not much more. The weekend before we left I got serious. Emailed my cousins for hiking info, went online and dug around for hikes, biking and kayak options. My cousin responded with a "We don’t hike but my dad says that Ka‘ena Point is a popular one up by where you are". That was a good starting point as far as I was concerned. Looking it up, this is what I found.

Trail Length: 3.5 mi.
Activity: Pedestrian, biking
Difficulty: Moderate
Terrain: Open coastline
Elevation Gain: Negligible
Park Name: Ka'ena Point State Park
Description: The trail to Ka‘ena Point follows an old railroad bed and former dirt road that ran along the westernmost point of O‘ahu. The trail leads to Ka‘ena Point Natural Area Reserve, a remote and scenic protected area harboring some of the last vestiges of coastal sand dune habitat on the island, and home to native plants and seabirds. Whales frequent this shoreline during the winter months.

The weather is usually sunny and hot, and it can be windy - a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water are recommended. Allow 1 to 3 hours depending on your pace. Stay away from the wave-exposed coast unless you are familiar with hazardous ocean conditions.

There are two routes
From the Wai‘anae side, tale the trailhead at the end of the paved road in the Keawaula Section of Ka‘ena Point State Park and follow the dirt roadway for 2.4 miles to Ka‘ena Point Natural Area Reserve. This route follows the shoreline on your left (southwest), characterized by boulder beaches and occasional tidepools, while cliffs rise above you on your right (northeast). Midway along the trail are a pair of small blowholes. In places the old road has eroded completely.

From the Mokule‘ia side, park at the end of the paved road and follow the dirt roadway for 2.5 miles. The trail traverses a broad, relatively flat coastal plain marked by a raised limestone reef and sand dunes. Upon reaching the Natural Area Reserve, please take care to avoid damaging native flora and watch for nesting seabirds, some of whom make burrow nests. A navigational light is visible at the point. Stay on established paths. No dogs or other animals are allowed in the Reserve. To return, retrace your path.

Now what you might notice here is the route description is a bit different than the summary. Summary says it is a 3.5 mile hike. Each route would put it at a 4.8 mile or 5 mile round trip respectively, the 3.5 statement isn't clear if that means round trip or not. And this is all from the same State Park Website! We were on the Wai'anae side.

Our plan was to hike in the am and then head to the Northshore for lunch and snorkeling. We woke up at 6:57 am, perfect! Except not, it was really 6:11. Jeff can’t read the clock without his glasses these days! Oh well, guess we have time for coffee and breakfast on the lanai!

Good Morning Aulani!

As we ate and drank our coffee, Jeff checked the forecast and found it called for some decent trade winds. Hmmn, that might put a damper on the Northshore snorkeling. At least Jeff thought so.

Our plan was to fill up our mugs with coffee from the O’leo room and then hit the towel handout right at 8 when the opened, hit the snorkel gear rental after that and then head straight to the car. When picking up the towels we were informed of the 60 minute rule. What? Apparently there was a 60 minute rule. Don’t leave your stuff on a lounger longer than that or they might take it. Day 3 and this was the first we’d heard of it. We’d have been toast on day one if they were enforcing that! We figured it had to do with the holiday weekend and the fact that I think they were close to or actually sold out. Towels handled it was off to the beach rental place. We elected to get the length of stay package so we could just keep the same gear all week. We had looked at buying gear and without making a separate trip to Target just for that, this was cheaper. But...once rented we realized something. The fins they rent at Aulani are NOT normal fins. They are cut short for the Rainbow Reef. Arguably so people don’t kick each other and likely as there is no real current to deal with. Jeff was not happy about it and convinced we’d have issues but…didn't want to return them either. At any rate the very nice Lisa Marie rented us our gear and gave us tips as to where the best snorkeling at our very own beach was and best time of day to catch turtles (both, on the right side, by the rocks, early am). Missions accomplished we made it to the car and were on the road at 8:22. A bit later than we had hoped but not horrible.

The drive to our hike couldn't have been easier. Get back on the road you drove in on and keep going northwest...until you can’t anymore. As we drove we kept seeing "points" in the distance and wondered if they were our destination.

This one?

Maybe these?

Nope

As we drove I looked at our route for the rest of the day, post hike.

And realized something.

I had NOT done my homework.

I had assumed, just looking at the map, we could actually drive around the point as, end to end, you are on the west side of the Northshore But there is no road that cuts over the point. Just the trail. Oops! To get to the Northshore we'd have to drive back to Aulani, keep heading east and then turn north. Arrgh. Lunch on the Northshore may not be happening but we decided we’d just play it by ear. Had I done my homework I’d have packed a lunch to eat on the hike but...oh well.

Oops! But hey if you look at the spot between "road ends and road ends" you can see the hike.

Arriving at Ka‘ena we stopped first at the restroom.

Oops! Should have packed TP!

We had read the directions and knew the trailhead was at the end of the paved road. The restroom was not at the end, the road kept going. We saw many people park by the restroom and walk down the paved road to the trailhead and hoped that didn't mean it was full.

It did have a nice view though! And a nice beach for that matter.

Jeff was more interested in what was on the hill

I thought this was prettier

We got the last "spot" in the small area near the trailhead. Our chariot for the week. Hard to lose that in a crowd!

These kinds of signs always make you feel safe, especially when you've had your car broken into before...in Hawaii!

This way?

He looks very serious

Then again that may have been the face of "hurry up with the sunscreen, it’s my turn!"

Nope, this way!

As we walked along, we saw folks out fishing

Pretty rugged

And a darn pretty walk

Evidence I was actually there

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-22-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #522
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Monks and Tradewinds, con't.

Continued from previous

There were spots where it was eroded completely and fascinatingly, a fair amount of the way we saw tire tracks and mud! The mud was dried by the time we went back. Crazy in some spots to think people were fitting cars and trucks through there! A few folks were out but it was not overly crowded at all. We passed one pair of gentlemen, a little bit older and one was sitting down and clearly having shoe issues. "I got a flat" he said. Sure enough, the sole had come loose from his tennis shoe. And the other gentleman just so happened to have a Velcro strap in his bag and was tying the guys sole on. Talk about prepared! Very impressive.

As you start to approach the point, it is actually "gated"

Keeping all that wildlife in

Or out!

Right before the gate was a nutty narrow spot. This guy was doing it on his mountain bike and literally carried the bike up and over. Crazy! Makes my neck hurt thinking about it.

Off he goes!

Thankfully there were tradewinds. Lovely lovely ones. For the most part we were out in the open, no shade and those winds were absolutely marvelous. Can you see the grasses blowing? Looking back towards where we had started

And what was ahead

These reminded us of Vero beach and the turtle flags

Not quite sure what this is

It went from dry to very sandy pretty quickly

VERY sandy

More animal "warning" signs

Wait, I think I see something!

Not that

You aren't supposed to be within 150 feet of these guys

The Hawaiian monk seal, Monachus schauinslandi, is an critically endangered species of earless seal in the Phocidae family that is endemic to the Hawaiian Islands.

Known to native Hawaiians as ʻIlio-holo-i-ka-uaua, or "dog that runs in rough water", its scientific name is from Hugo Hermann Schauinsland, a German scientist who discovered a skull on Laysan Island in 1899. Its common name comes from short hairs on its head, said to resemble a monk.

Fewer than 100 have been sighted on the main Hawaiian Islands but it does appear to be growing.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #523
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Continued from previous

Problem is, Jeff didn't see him until he was already too close, scared the heck out of both of them I think!

The sea life continued

Walking around the point

More rodent traps...that is a BIG rodent!

What's that?

Looks like a bathing beauty

Yep, TWO monk seals!

We kept our safe distance this time, she looked quite content, she’d flip a flipper now and then as she cooled her head so we figured she was fine

I like to dip my head like that too!

Still windy..nice ponytail huh!

Rounding the point this is what it looked like in the other direction

And the point a real road that wouldn't void our rental agreement did NOT go over.

Other side of the fence

Yep, it was windy on the Northshore to be sure, technically we were around the point and "North" and it was significantly windier Jeff did not like the idea of that wind and snorkeling.

We didn't see any of these guys

We stopped to munch on some trail mix and sip some water, and enjoy the view and with that, as tempting as it was to do the full 9.8 mile loop (and we were REALLY tempted) we figured we'd get too crispy so turned around to head back.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-22-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #524
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Continued from previous

Heading back

Hang gliders. There was a lot, same thing for sky diving but hard to capture on film...just couldn't see it was too bright.

Love these

Enough with the pictures!

Hah, he wishes

It was VERY tempting to just jump into the ocean right then and there. We did have other clothes and towels with us but something more important was calling our name. On the way out though Jeff couldn’t help but get a closer look at what those satellites on the hill were for, and whose they were.

It was a really fun morning and a very nice walk. All Trails actually puts it at a 2.7 mile out and back (5.4 RT) hike that is rated as moderate. Yeah, so the state of Hawaii says it is either 3.4 (unclear as to whether that is RT or not but typically not unless it says) OR 2.4 or 2.7 according to All Trails. LOL! We are calling it a 5 mile walk. Who cares, it was lovely! We would definitely put it on the easy side of the difficulty scale. It is hot and very exposed but really it was a very nice walk and the tradewinds made it quite bearable. It can be muddy or rocky and I’m guessing that’s where the rating came from. If you want something a bit off the beaten path, out in nature, the real Hawaii AND only 45 min from Aulani, this cannot be beat. We absolutely loved it and seeing those seals was a trip highlight.

I'm sorry, we can't do that here

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-30-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #525
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I know what the satellite station is for but I can't tell you unless I kill you.

Looks like a fantastic hike!

Jill in CO

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: