Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1936
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
What would you recommend?
The Other Boleyn Girl seems to be her most widely popular. It is a good read.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1937
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf

What would you recommend?
The Other Boleyn Girl is great. I'm currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance. So far so good. It's about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry the 8th's fourth and fifth wives respectively.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #1938
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
The Other Boleyn Girl seems to be her most widely popular. It is a good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
The Other Boleyn Girl is great. I'm currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance. So far so good. It's about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry the 8th's fourth and fifth wives respectively.

Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! I bought this last night, which for me is huge because I'm cheap when it comes to books. It has been such a great read so far. I didn't want to stop but when 1:30am rolled around I figured I'd better! This is exactly the type of book I was looking for. Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #1939
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post

Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! I bought this last night, which for me is huge because I'm cheap when it comes to books. It has been such a great read so far. I didn't want to stop but when 1:30am rolled around I figured I'd better! This is exactly the type of book I was looking for. Thanks again!
I am glad you found something you could not put down
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #1940
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf

Yay!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #1941
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 24 of 30

A Dark Mind (Book 3 of Lizzie Gardner) by T.R. Ragan

A serial killer is terrorizing Sacramento, preying on happily married couples and unleashing unspeakable cruelties upon his victims. The ordeal rekindles disturbing memories for private investigator Lizzy Gardner, who barely escaped a serial killer’s clutches only years ago. But while most Sacramento residents are hiding in the shadows, paralyzed by fear, Lizzy is compelled to go after the Lovebird Killer.

So it’s no surprise that, when a routine workers’ compensation case suddenly leads her and her two young assistants onto the killer’s trail, she welcomes the chase, determined to bring him to justice before he can claim another victim. She never imagines he could be two steps ahead, watching her every move and plotting his bloodiest, most triumphant conquest of all.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 43 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #1942
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #48: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Very interesting book about a man who gets pulled into the world of London Below. They describe it as all the dark corners & dark alleys in cities which lead to where all the forgotten people (homeless, etc) go. This man finds a girl bleeding on the street & decides to help her which ends up changing his life. The characters are odd, yet whimsical. Some are frightening & horrible.

Richard Mayhew is a young man with a good heart and an ordinary life, which is changed forever when he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. His small act of kindness propels him into a world he never dreamed existed. There are people who fall through the cracks, and Richard has become one of them. And he must learn to survive in this city of shadows and darkness, monsters and saints, murderers and angels, if he is ever to return to the London that he knew.

Next book: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 61 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #1943
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Book #17 - The BoneMan's Daughter - Ted Dekker

Review:
A Texas serial killer called BoneMan is on the loose, choosing young girls as his prey, His signature: myriad broken bones that torture and kill - but never puncture.
Military intelligence officer Ryan Evans is married to his work; so much so that his wife and daughter have written him out of their lives. Sent to Fallujah and captured by insurgents, he is asked to kill children not unlike his own. The method: a meticulous, excruciating death by broken bones that his captor has forced him to learn.
Returning home after the ordeal, a new crisis awaits. A serial killer is on the loose, and his method of killing is the same. Ryan becomes a prime suspect, which isn't even the worst of his problems: Ryan's daughter is BoneMan's latest desire.

Great book --- my first one by this author.
Next book The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #1944
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I've been on vacation & read lots of fluff books.

#33 - Love You More - mystery about a policewoman who is accused of killing her husband. Pretty good & the story tied all the pieces together.

#34 - Remember Me? Sophie Kinsella - woman wakes up after accident & finds that she has lost 3 years. She realizes she is totally different than she was 3 years ago and has to figure out what happened. Enjoyed it.

#35 - Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella - really liked this one though didn't think I would from the description. Girl is approached by spirit during great aunt's funeral. It was very sweet, had a good mystery included and I enjoyed this a lot.

#36 - I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella - girl loses her engagement ring & gets her phone stolen in one night. She happens to see a phone in a trashbin and starts using it. Typical Kinsella book, cute.

#37 - All for One - 6 sixth graders are found with their prints on a murder weapon next to their death classmate at recess. Mystery to figure out what happened. It was ok, I figured it out before the storyline caught up & kept reading to see if there were any twists. Just ok because it dragged it out.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #1945
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
I've been on vacation & read lots of fluff books.

#33 - Love You More - mystery about a policewoman who is accused of killing her husband. Pretty good & the story tied all the pieces together.

#34 - Remember Me? Sophie Kinsella - woman wakes up after accident & finds that she has lost 3 years. She realizes she is totally different than she was 3 years ago and has to figure out what happened. Enjoyed it.

#35 - Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella - really liked this one though didn't think I would from the description. Girl is approached by spirit during great aunt's funeral. It was very sweet, had a good mystery included and I enjoyed this a lot.

#36 - I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella - girl loses her engagement ring & gets her phone stolen in one night. She happens to see a phone in a trashbin and starts using it. Typical Kinsella book, cute.

#37 - All for One - 6 sixth graders are found with their prints on a murder weapon next to their death classmate at recess. Mystery to figure out what happened. It was ok, I figured it out before the storyline caught up & kept reading to see if there were any twists. Just ok because it dragged it out.

I LOVE Sophie Kinsella books. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book". Another good one, cheaper on Kindle is "My Big Fake Irish Life" by Caitlin McKenna. I thought that was similar in style. I just got another of McKenna's books, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't recommend it. But I really hope it's another in the Sophie Kinsella style.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #1946
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Wow! I havent checked in for almost a month!

65. Beyond the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

This was a sequel to The Chocolate War which I previously reviewed. This took up a few months after the disastrous chocolate sale occurred at the Trinity School. There is unrest in the secret group called the Virgils who cause all sorts of chaos in the school. This book deals with the rebellion and newly found alliances. I liked it. It does not come to a firm resolution though.

66. The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago by Jackie Hyams

This was an interesting look at what life was actually like back in downton Abbey Days. The author explained all the jobs of the servants and equated them to the characters on the show. It described what a typical day was like, what the servants lives were like, etc. Very interesting.

67. State of the Union by Brad Thor

This is #3 in the Scot Harvath series. This time an old Russian General and his secret group have threatened nuclear attack by small bombs planted all over the US. They insist they will detonate the bombs if their demands are not met before the State of the Union address which is to take place in a few days. These books usually fascinate me and have very intricate plots with good action. This book however seemed to take up too much time describing the various advanced equipment they were using which took away from the story line.

68. First To Die by James Patterson

This is the first Installment of the Women's Murder Club Series. I liked it. It introduced the characters of the popular series and spun a good tale. Lindsay Boxer, a police Inspector goes out on a limb and involves her friends (the ME, a newspaper reporter and the assistant DA) in trying to figure it out. Their shared observations help solved the case. Lindsay also has to deal with a diagnosis of a serious health threat at the same time. I liked the book and will continue with the series.

69. Company Man by Joseph Finder

This books has a double story line dealing with the corporate world and a murder. Nick is the CEO of a small town company where everyone in town works. He has to lay of half the company so he is not very popular at the moment. Someone has broken into his home and caused physical and emotional damage but the police are not helping much. Finally one night he shoots and kills a former employee who is trespassing and calls his security man to help deal with the problem. Instead of calling the police the guy dumps the body. The book deals with the police trying to figure out who killed this guy they find dumped, Nicks guilty conscience in trying to keep it covered up, and the problems he finds going on in his company right under his nose. There is a really good twist as well. In the end I liked the book but the two story lines competed with each other too much.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #1947
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #45 - "Dark Passage" by Ridley Pearson

This book has been reviewed here so I won't give a synopsis. I really enjoyed this book, especially as it got a bit darker and more realistic. I was really stunned by the plot twist, as I didn't see it coming! I can't wait to read the next one, which will take place in Disneyland!

Next up: "The Sassy Belles" by Beth Albright

Now that my daughter's sweet 16 birthday party is over, I should have more time to devote to reading!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #1948
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal:25 Completed:16

Sharp Objects
Gillian Flynn

"WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, ***** on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming."

I really enjoyed this book,even if there were some boring places. I liked the underlying darkness and creepy factor that wasn't right out in your face. I do wish that Amma's character were just a little more developed...Maybe I just didn't quite get the extreme opposites of her personality.

I was surprised to like it as much as I did because I couldn't get into Gone Girl.

Up next... Dark Places, also by Gillian Flynn.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #1949
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
Book #17 - The BoneMan's Daughter - Ted Dekker

Review:
A Texas serial killer called BoneMan is on the loose, choosing young girls as his prey, His signature: myriad broken bones that torture and kill - but never puncture.
Military intelligence officer Ryan Evans is married to his work; so much so that his wife and daughter have written him out of their lives. Sent to Fallujah and captured by insurgents, he is asked to kill children not unlike his own. The method: a meticulous, excruciating death by broken bones that his captor has forced him to learn.
Returning home after the ordeal, a new crisis awaits. A serial killer is on the loose, and his method of killing is the same. Ryan becomes a prime suspect, which isn't even the worst of his problems: Ryan's daughter is BoneMan's latest desire.

Great book --- my first one by this author.
Next book The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker
I just finished a Ted Dekker book myself. Have read quite a few of his, but don't think I've read either of the ones you've mentioned. I'll have to look them up. He's a great writer of thriller/suspense.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #1950
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I liked Sharp Objects more than Gone Girl too. I did not read the third though.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 61 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: