Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Soooo, I'm trying to think about how to reduce the amount of sodium I get when eating on the cruise. Hmmmm.. Stick to fresh fruits & veggies? I don't drink sodas so that's not a problem. I wonder if the water at the soda fountain & ice has sodium content. I don't eat seafood. Obviously it'd be good to stay away from pork. Interesting! I may just put in a call to the doctors office to ask about water pills. I especially would want to be cautious with my husband. He takes blood pressure meds.

Thanks to all for their input & sharing. Sounds fairly common. Good to hear different approaches to cause and managing it.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkin View Post
Not just the salt in the food, but also the salt in the air from the water the ship is sailing in. I swell every cruise as well as when I go to a beach.
Interesting. Moderately related (to the salt air port).... I've had a few instances in my life when a beach day turned my hair deep red. First happened when I was blond (the sun in CA, it turned out, is what caused my hair to be blond...as soon as I moved to WA it started turning brown) and the other times have been while brown-haired. It's SO weird to see my hair get all red, and I know it's some weird chemical reaction from the heavy salt air. (b/c there's no other reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
According to Drugs.com, fluid retention has been observed in some patients taking ibuprofen.
And according to my hubby, it's true. Doesn't seem to happen to me, but he can expect a really bad WW weigh-in if he's hurt something and takes more than 2 ibuprofen in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinEars View Post
This last cruise I was, and am, on an extreme low carb way of eating due to medical reasons. I had no swelling at all. I am thinking it might be all the sugar and breads I would have eaten in the past.
I know several people who cut out refined sugars and lost a bunch of bloat. But I also know people who modify their salt intake and the same thing happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Water pills don't do anything for my swollen legs, but they do cause me to visit every restroom onboard!
DH takes triampterine to reduce swelling caused by something else he takes, and he HAS TO drink a TON of water along with it. If he doesn't drink enough water, he uses the bathroom all the time, feels like crud, and is still swollen. When he gets enough extra water in, the bathroom breaks calm down as the day goes on, he doesn't feel ill, and he loses the swelling. If you ever take a diuretic in the future, try upping the water you're drinking and see if that helps more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
I especially would want to be cautious with my husband. He takes blood pressure meds.
Definitely. What DH takes for swelling is the same thing a relative of mine takes for high blood pressure. He wouldn't want to double up.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 07-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #33
LadyCP
Earning My Ears

Here I thought I was the only one! After my 4th cruise I realized I didn't need to pack all the shoes since I could only fit into flip flops by the 2nd day

The last couple of times I've tried a combination of things when we travel to Florida and they tend to help but not eliminate the whole problem.

I will detox days before travel (no alcohol, salt and heavy carbs, fats). I wear compression socks on the airplane and take water pills as well as rubbing Arnica gel on my ankles and feet where I get the most swelling. Even on the first day ( since we usually fly from the west coast we tend to add park days prior to a cruise) I don't wait for the swelling to begin. I ice my feet and prop them up any chance I get in our cabin. I've sacrifice the cute shoes for comfy wide flip flops and figure as long as I can walk I'm happy even though my outfit doesn't match accordingly.

If that doesn't help.. Just head to the nearest bar have a seat, order a mojito and wait for the pain to fade away.
DD12

LadyCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

We've been cruising for around 9 yrs. When we first started, I never had swelling, or if I did, it was barely noticeable. As I've gotten older, I've noticed swelling in my ankles any time I eat a salty meal, which isn't very often. Even pizza night makes me swell. At home, it's very obviously connected to my salt intake. With cruising, we have meal after meal full of salt so it doesn't end til we're home & get back to eating homemade food. I do take a diuretic for high blood pressure so sometimes I'll take an extra one mid-week.

I also have varicose veins & since I'm on my feet all day at work, I now wear heavy compression stockings (knee-hi's) to work, to bed & when I'm doing housework & just hanging out at home. (Never if the kids have friends over!)
It's my firm belief you should be at least 80 yrs old to wear them with shorts outside the home. I call them my Granny Socks.

So for cruising, trips to WDW, etc. I pack a couple pairs and wear them once I change into my nightgown & wear them to bed. Sometimes by then, my legs are so swollen it's hard to get them on but by morning they are back to normal.

Mine are open-toe but you get the gist of it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1L9NKXDNACY0J

hth!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #35
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
My feet swelled like crazy on my last cruise and I thought they were going to explode when I was in Cuba in May. After I figured out the bottled water we were drinking in Cuba had sodium in it and found a different kind, that helped.

"Salt" isn't the problem. Sodium is the problem and regardless of the article posted above and any debate re: longterm effects on blood pressure, increased sodium intake will make you retain water and swell. That's basic anatomy and physiology.
Water was he culprit for me too!
The processes used to purify water usually removes all minerals and the water is then treated to add back in those components. Sodium is one element. Guess who is one of the leading producers of water treatment chemicals? Morton salt!
It is unknown how much sodium is actually in the water onboard (or in some bottled water). I do know that I blamed my "cruise cankles" on the food, but after a couple of trips Ii switched to drinking mostly bottled water - no more swelling.

RCI Serenade of the Seas, Arctic Circle, June 2015
RCI Explorer of the Seas, New Zealand, Jan 2016
Past Cruises:
AAMPrima - Danube, RCI Jewel, CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun - Baltics, RCL Brilliance - Med, Celebrity Millenium - Alaska, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
faithfullyeeyore
Some of the best moments in life are the ones you cannot tell anyone about

I get cruise swelling really bad as well. Some cruises it's just so so and others its horribly painful and definitely has the "flinstone" look! I used to take water pills and they helped some. I finally asked my doctor and he recommended Midol. I know, crazy sounding right? But it has the water reducing element along with anti inflammation. It has really kept my feet swelling to a minimum! Definitely ask your doctor before taking anything though!

May 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing and B2B aka Magic to the Med! (very 1st DCL cruises ever!) 26 total days onboard, in the top 5 best trips ever!

December 2008 4 day on the WONDER!
December 2008 I'm a DVC member now!
December 2009 7 day Western on the MAGIC!
May 17 2012 3 day on the DREAM!
September 9 2012 4 day on the DREAM
September 29 2012 7 day on the MAGIC
November 11 2012 7 day MAGIC
April 21 2013 4 day on the DREAM
faithfullyeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post

"Salt" isn't the problem. Sodium is the problem
It's the same thing. Salt is sodium chloride. Most people don't sit at the dinner table saying, "Please pass the sodium chloride."

When I first starting taking blood pressure meds, my dr. warned me to try to avoid ibuprofen when possible; it has sodium in it also. Not that I can't ever have it, but it shouldn't be the first thing for me to try for a headache.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post
Water was he culprit for me too!
The processes used to purify water usually removes all minerals and the water is then treated to add back in those components. Sodium is one element. Guess who is one of the leading producers of water treatment chemicals? Morton salt!
It is unknown how much sodium is actually in the water onboard (or in some bottled water). I do know that I blamed my "cruise cankles" on the food, but after a couple of trips Ii switched to drinking mostly bottled water - no more swelling.
I believe it. My parents shore house used to have well water and the water was very hard. To soften it they had a whole-house water softener device in the laundry room with a huge drum full of salt chips. Every so often they'd have to add more. If you didn't have a softener, it would stain the sinks, tub, washer, clothing, everything a rust brown color. Sometimes you see that brown color on curbs & sidewalks where sprinkler systems have hard water.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

And I thought mine was the only body that absorbed salt from the air!
Cruises, vacations in California or Sanibel Island, FL = cankles for me!
msbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #40
bella2396
Cori Rose

Oh no, I hope this doesn't happen to me. I was born with lymphedema in my left leg so it swells like crazy anyways!
ASMovies 2010
ASMusic 2011
Counting down the days until our 1st Disney Cruise aboard the Fantasy on 8/31/13!!!
bella2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #41
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

We've been cruising for over 10 years now, and my worst swelling experience was last year on the Magic. We were on the first NYC-Bahamas-WDW 8-night cruise. About halfway through the cruise my ankles swelled a LOT (yes, I had cankles! ), and because I have high blood pressure it worried me a little. I take my BP medication religiously, and I take ibuprophen several times a week with no swelling, so this was definitely a reaction to something on the cruise.

DH was sick on the cruise and we had to visit the medical area a few times; the doctor checked my BP for me so at least I knew it wasn't high.

At bedtime I put an extra pillow beneath my ankles, to reduce swelling, and I also would run cold water in the tub and soak my feet for a little while.

I think I'll ask my own doctor for advice, before our next cruise.

P.S. I don't remember swelling while on any other type of vacation; I think it has a lot to do with the sodium levels in the food on the ship.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #42
sippican
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
It's the same thing. Salt is sodium chloride. Most people don't sit at the dinner table saying, "Please pass the sodium chloride."
When I first starting taking blood pressure meds, my dr. warned me to try to avoid ibuprofen when possible; it has sodium in it also. Not that I can't ever have it, but it shouldn't be the first thing for me to try for a headache.
A common misconception, but not completely accurate.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/molecu...ersus-Salt.htm

RCI Serenade of the Seas, Arctic Circle, June 2015
RCI Explorer of the Seas, New Zealand, Jan 2016
Past Cruises:
AAMPrima - Danube, RCI Jewel, CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun - Baltics, RCL Brilliance - Med, Celebrity Millenium - Alaska, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #43
Beechparty
While not necessary, donations to the Tag Fairy Relief fund may be made through her PayPal account. ;)
WL Vet

Try Alpha Lipoic Acid

This is an antioxidant found in the vitamin aisle. I used to get swollen ankles and rashes when traveling, during summers, and lots of walking like at WDW. Now i take this once a day during these times and never have any troubles at all. Recently just toured 2 weeks in Europe and it worked great. Forgot to take it one day well into the trip and that next morning swollen ankles. Remembered to take it and next day I was fine.
2002 Hard rock
2000 POLY
2001 PO
1998 PO
1996 YC
1995 WL/FWcabins
1994,1992,1984 CBR
Beechparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #44
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechparty
This is an antioxidant found in the vitamin aisle. I used to get swollen ankles and rashes when traveling, during summers, and lots of walking like at WDW. Now i take this once a day during these times and never have any troubles at all. Recently just toured 2 weeks in Europe and it worked great. Forgot to take it one day well into the trip and that next morning swollen ankles. Remembered to take it and next day I was fine.
Twinkie had feet swollen like sausages day 3. Can you share specifics or PM? Thanks!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #45
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
This happens to me, on cruises and in the parks. My doctor said the "rash" is broken capillaries from the swelling. It sounds (and feels) scarier than it is.

After trying a ton of different things, the only thing I've found to keep it from happening in the first place is to take Ibuprofen, starting the day before travel, and throughout the whole vacation.
If you get this from swelling on cruises or especially when you are on your feet all day try compression stockings. I was really resistant but they are wonderful. They keep blood circulating in your legs and all the swelling our, which stops the broken capillaries. You will have so much more energy in your legs as the day goes on and at the end of the day no swelling.
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: