Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Anybody know where my money goes if I postpone a package?

My package for August is paid in full but we may have to rebook for Dec. or June due to my mom's health. Will Disney hold all my money that I've paid( several thousand) or just the $200 deposit? I don't really like the idea of them having so much of my money for almost a year so I am hoping for a refund. I've had some CMs that don't seem to know what they are doing so I thought I'd ask on here first.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Your choices would be:
Delay your vacation, the vacation provider keeps your money because, after all, you're still going.
Cancel your vacation, get your payment refunded except the cancellation fee, then rebook what/when you wish.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

If you postpone they will move the money to the new vacation date. If you cancel you will lose the deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
My package for August is paid in full but we may have to rebook for Dec. or June due to my mom's health. Will Disney hold all my money that I've paid( several thousand) or just the $200 deposit? I don't really like the idea of them having so much of my money for almost a year so I am hoping for a refund. I've had some CMs that don't seem to know what they are doing so I thought I'd ask on here first.
As others have said, if you want a refund, you need to cancel the vacation and not postpone it.

If you are within 45 days of your expected arrival date, then you will have to pay the cancellation fee but you will get the remainder back.

Last edited by Marionnette; 07-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
As others have said, if you want a refund, you need to cancel the vacation and not postpone it.

If you are within 45 days of your expected arrival date, then you will have to pay the cancellation fee but you will get the remainder back.
How much is the cancellation fee?
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibustyle23 View Post
How much is the cancellation fee?
Your $200 deposit.

EDIT: Plus the trip insurance is non-refundalbe if you bought that.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
Your $200 deposit.

EDIT: Plus the trip insurance is non-refundalbe if you bought that.
But if you have trip ins., then you should get reimbursed for the lost deposit if it's a covered reason to cancel.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
marthachick
DIS Veteran

I don't know the answer but wanted to say I hope your Mom's health improves. We are dealing with my mother-in-law & father-in-law's health and we have have cancelled 3 vacations this year- our 30th anniversary Disney trip & 2 trips to Pigeon Forge. Hope she is well soon.

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
lauradis
DIS Veteran

If your payments where made with gift cards you will get gift card back. I personally would rebook. If you really need the money take the 200 hit. Next time your planing a trip and not to sure if you can go, just book room only res unless you get good discount on package, because with room only res you can cancel easier just like normal hotel and you can add on tickets, dinning etc (think its up to 72hr before arrival)

Last edited by lauradis; 07-20-2013 at 07:42 AM.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

My heart goes out to you. It is not easy dealing with a sick parent. We had to cancel a vacation and got called back in the middle of a vacation when my father-in-law was ill. So hard to balance things between your kids and needs of a sick parent. Good luck!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I would call and skip the CM and ask to speak directly to a supervisor or manager and see if they would be able to give you your $200 back when you cancel. Or see if he can move the date and refund you the remainder. So it's like you're putting $200 deposit for your new date and not holding up all the money. That way you don't lose out! Hope your mom gets better.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledisneyprncess View Post
I would call and skip the CM and ask to speak directly to a supervisor or manager and see if they would be able to give you your $200 back when you cancel. Or see if he can move the date and refund you the remainder. So it's like you're putting $200 deposit for your new date and not holding up all the money. That way you don't lose out! Hope your mom gets better.
It's not likely to happen but certainly worth the try. Sometimes you get a supervisor with a tender heart. But Disney CMs hear a lot of sob stories that are just a bunch of Who-shot-John. If the OP has every intention of going to Disney at a later date, then rescheduling the trip makes sense. But a lot of people develop buyers remorse and then expect Disney to waive their cancellation fees. It's because of those people that someone like the OP, who has a legitimate need to postpone her trip, must just through hoops and hope for a sympathetic CM.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
set1208
Mouseketeer

Why not push your date up to something beyond the 45 day mark, then cancel it later (before you hit 45) and get that 200 back? Can that be done?

I booked last year thinking we were going to go this past feb. It wasn't going to work out so I postponed for October. We are still going, but I just cancelled our package, got a full refund, and we will rent a villa instead.

Good luck and best wishes to mom!
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: