DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
brockash
DIS Veteran

DVC...worth it?

We are seriously considering buying a DVC membership to most likely BLT. Part of me is excited, but part of me isn't sure if it really is the best decision. We do go to WDW every year and Disneyland every 5ish years. I really don't see this changing. We've rented points and stayed at BLT twice and really did enjoy the 2 bedroom villas and the location, however it's a very expensive commitment and we'd like to get some opinions from those who have bought. Would you do it again?

We like staying at the Deluxe resorts, but honestly we've stayed and are staying this year at a value, and honestly we really aren't that disappointed about it...we're still at Disney.

Opinions/Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
arussell.578
Earning My Ears

I just finally but the bullet and did this. BLT is sold out I do believe. They had some really great incentives for AKL. I spent hours talking to a resale agent because I love staying in the Epcot area, and was thinking of buying resale but in the end decided that I wanted to be able to book a cruise if I wanted to. We have rented points for 3 years in a row and I don't see me wanting to change how we stay.it was worth it to me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
We are seriously considering buying a DVC membership to most likely BLT. Part of me is excited, but part of me isn't sure if it really is the best decision. We do go to WDW every year and Disneyland every 5ish years. I really don't see this changing. We've rented points and stayed at BLT twice and really did enjoy the 2 bedroom villas and the location, however it's a very expensive commitment and we'd like to get some opinions from those who have bought. Would you do it again?

We like staying at the Deluxe resorts, but honestly we've stayed and are staying this year at a value, and honestly we really aren't that disappointed about it...we're still at Disney.

Opinions/Thoughts?
You may want to check out the several other threads here on the same subject.

DVC works for some but not for others. Disney's goal is to make money and DVC is just another way to do it. You may save some money depending on several factors.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
joelp
DIS Veteran

Why don't you tour a few of the DVC resorts during your next trip? - that may help you decide ...

Also, buying resale is substantially cheaper than direct from Disney - but remember that most of the $$ spent will be on MF over the next 30-40 years.

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
jupers
DIS Veteran

I bought resale and would do it again. I love my dvc! Yes, I would be fine at a moderate resort but I love having the dvc.
June '12-BCV and BLT; Jan '12-SSR; Oct 11-BWV; Jul '11-Offsite; '09-POR (family trip before Dad passed, best time ever); '07-POR & Wilderness Lodge; '03-Universal Hard Rock-(Wonderful, but not the same); '99-POFQ (Honeymoon-if I knew then...)'93-One Day from Tampa'84-CR'78-Poly
ME DH DD (10) DS (5)
jupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"

Quote:

Opinions/Thoughts?
To us it was most definitely worth it, but we bought a long time ago and pricing was much lower. That said, everything is relative. Cost of living and salaries were also lower almost 14 years ago. It's a personal decision, based on individual financial status and vacation habits and needs.

If you go to WDW every year and Disneyland every 5 it sounds like a good fit, if it fits into your budget. As far as staying in value resorts being okay by you, it sounds like DVC studios may be a nice alternative and great way to keep the points allotment down. Perhaps you could look at small resale contracts to start and see if owning is the right fit for you?

Have you looked at the points charts and considered staying in smaller units (studios) as opposed to the two bedrooms? Maybe that will help in your decision making?

Best of luck!

AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney's goal is to make money and DVC is just another way to do it.

Bill
This statement is getting old.

I am both, a DVC owner and a shareholder. I guess that makes me, an evil profiteer and discount vacationer.

DVC isn't for everyone, but if you are a committed Disney vacationer that likes higher scale accommodations and amenities, then DVC is a viable.

Choose your home resort wisely, it is getting increasingly more difficult to get a non home resort, especially during the more popular seasons.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Fan View Post
This statement is getting old.

I am both, a DVC owner and a shareholder. I guess that makes me, an evil profiteer and discount vacationer.

DVC isn't for everyone, but if you are a committed Disney vacationer that likes higher scale accommodations and amenities, then DVC is a viable.

Choose your home resort wisely, it is getting increasingly more difficult to get a non home resort, especially during the more popular seasons.
Frankly, far less old to me than "its the best thing I've ever done." When considering a DVC membership, understanding that this is a business - not a club for handing out pixie dust, and a timeshare saves a lot of disappointment. And not everyone who comes to these threads has been around here ten years like I have to get tired of "its the best thing I've ever done."

To the OP - why are you choosing to stay in values? If its because some years money is tight, remember that every year you will need to pay dues, and if you finance, that payment is made every month regardless. You loose the flexibility to choose to spend less - and yet one of the best things is that spending more becomes fenced (dues go up, but the amount is restricted and the starting point is a lot smaller).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
We've rented points and stayed at BLT twice and really did enjoy the 2 bedroom villas and the location,
BLT is a great location! i agree.

Quote:
however it's a very expensive commitment
yes it is! i agree.

Quote:
and we'd like to get some opinions from those who have bought. Would you do it again?
yes. but my situation is different than your situation. keep reading through threads on the DVC forums. do some searches. spend a couple of months doing your homework to see if it might fit how you vacation.

Quote:
if you are happy at value resorts, you will not save money with DVC.

if you are happy offsite, you will not save money with DVC. here are some pictures of my stay earlier this year at sheraton vistana in a 2BR. much cheaper than DVC and only a couple of miles from the disney gate.

(more info about the sheraton vistana can be found here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....088957&page=61 but that is just one example.)

if you decide to buy DVC, resale is a much better choice financially. (buying direct is NOT "worth it" - it's only for those with money to burn - but there's nothing wrong with paying extra if you can afford it.) i would only recommend buying DVC for stays at DVC resorts (that is why i have another timeshare that i use to get into the sheraton - mostly it is for non-disney trips.)

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Frankly, far less old to me than "its the best thing I've ever done." When considering a DVC membership, understanding that this is a business - not a club for handing out pixie dust, and a timeshare saves a lot of disappointment. And not everyone who comes to these threads has been around here ten years like I have to get tired of "its the best thing I've ever done."

To the OP - why are you choosing to stay in values? If its because some years money is tight, remember that every year you will need to pay dues, and if you finance, that payment is made every month regardless. You loose the flexibility to choose to spend less - and yet one of the best things is that spending more becomes fenced (dues go up, but the amount is restricted and the starting point is a lot smaller).
But, it is the best thing we have ever done! Seriously, you do not lose any flexibility because renting is always an option. Granted, I would not buy with the intention of renting every year, but it is great to know that that option is there. In the 4 years since we bought DVC, we have rented points twice to take cruises. This was a much better deal than cruising on points. We have also take 7 or 8 vacations in those 4 years, which we would have never taken had it not been for DVC.

To the OP, some key points:[LIST[*]Seriously consider buying resale. We did not, but BLT was half the price it is today 4 years ago.[*]If you must finance, make sure you have a plan to pay it off quickly.[*]If you finance, make sure you can afford the MFs along with the loan payments and all the expenses for the trip.[/LIST]

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:

Opinions/Thoughts?
Our favorite features of DVC are the space and location. We are not happy in hotels and had been enjoying large, condo-style units for many years prior to adding DVC to our portfolio. DVC simply allowed us to keep the space while upping the ante on location.

If you demand and enjoy the space of the 2BR unit then buying DVC is a good way to control the reservation process. If you are OK renting then I'd consider that to be a good direction as well providing greater flexibility than owning. (Cash works mostly everywhere allowing lots of travel destinations and different experiences.)
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
SuperRob
DVC Members Since 2011 (SSR)

DVC only makes sense if you prefer to stay at $300-400 a night hotels, and you want to continue that lifestyle less expensively and more regularly.

DVC only makes sense if you can afford to pay cash for the points. Financing seriously eats into your potential savings.

DVC can make sense if you want to sleep an large group in the same space for a vacation. DVC's larger villas are one of the only ways to make this possible in many resorts.

Lastly, DVC only makes sense if you really love Disney. Yes, you can exchange out, but the best value will always be at Disney resorts. If you wouldn't want to go to Disney at least every other year, you're probably better off going somewhere else.

If you're on the fence, but are leaning towards pulling the trigger, you might consider buying the smallest allotment of points that will accommodate your family and your travel habits, take a trip or two, and see how it goes. For my wife and I (double income, no kids), this was 60 points. Mathematically, we can only travel for a week every other year, or shorter stays once a year, but this was a great way to "dip our toe in," so to speak.

Already, though, we're considering getting more points, and we're only holding back because we don't want to finance. Our very first trip was to Aulani for my wife's 29th birthday, and we knew as soon as we saw that resort that we'd made the right decision. Aulani phenomenal, but we never would have stayed there at $500 a night. DVC got us in there at about $150 a night (considering the cost of the points for that year with the dues factored in).

|
SuperRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell.578 View Post
BLT is sold out I do believe..
Yes, BLT is offically sold out but they can and will sell you BLT direct. You may have to go on a waitlist to get what you want though. Be aware that BLT is selling for $165 per point. You would do much better looking at the resale listings.

Put me in the "worth it" camp. If you know you are going every year and want to stay on-site at the deluxe level (that is a relative term around here ) then buying DVC is a good option. If you don't mind staying at a value then probably not so much.

Good luck with your decision.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Is it the best thing I've ever done, no, having my son gets that honor!

Would I do it again, in a heart beat. Am I drinking the kool-aid, let's get real, I enjoy staying on property if that's drinking the kool-aid, get me a pitcher! My faves... OKW, Kidani, SSR, BWV. I love the resorts and their amenities, the parks are not as important, though we still get AP'as because we go 4 or 5 times a year (easier for me, we live in Florida)

So I give my money to Disney, but then again I give a huge chunk of it away when I vacation elsewhere. We've had great times at Disney, and DVC has been a big part of it!

After 12 years of ownership it still work for us! No regrets!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

Thanks everyone for the info. We would not be financing, we'd be paying "cash.". The reason we're staying at a value is just because we've stayed at deluxes the last 3 years and we just didn't see the need to spend the extra money this year. One idea that I'm throwing around is if we do buy DVC to only purchase enough points (around 175) to stay DVC every other year by banking points and possibly just staying at a value on the alternating years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: