Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
I was just watching a food show on the Food Network channel and they were talking about raw oysters, and how diabetics shouldn't eat them. So I did a little research and discovered that raw oysters can have a bacteria called vibrio vulnificus and it can cause chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. etc. and sometimes even death.

When we were in New Orleans I got sick the first night, I was blaming the food I'd eaten at lunch....but after reading more about raw oysters and diabetics it said symptoms can occur 24-48 hours later. I can figure back and it was about 42 hours after I'd eaten four raw oysters that I started feeling sick so maybe my lunch that day wasn't the culprit.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think I'll be eating any raw oysters from now on. Trouble is, they were good! Would love to eat them again, but I don't think it's worth it!

So, if you're a diabetic do you eat raw oysters or avoid them?
I know someone who died of vibrio vulnificus. While he had some other underlying health issues, this was determined to be the cause of death. While I never ate raw oysters before (or any other raw food), that cured me of ever even wanting to try it.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: