Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Who has a kid at Jamboree in WV?

My son is there and having a great time! I know that he's done dragon boat racing and SCUBA so far, not sure what else.

He's discovered that he loves patch trading and has already asked me to buy more from our Council office and send them to him, lol. Unfortunately, a different package I overnighted to him on Monday hasn't arrived, and I'm not hopeful that that package or the patches will ever arrive. But, I understand that there will be some glitches along the way, since it's the first Jamboree there. It is what it is. I give so much credit to all of the volunteers that are working so hard to make this a good experience!

So, what are your kids enjoying? Any issues? We're heading down and visiting on Saturday...can't wait to go!
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
My son is there and having a great time! I know that he's done dragon boat racing and SCUBA so far, not sure what else.

He's discovered that he loves patch trading and has already asked me to buy more from our Council office and send them to him, lol. Unfortunately, a different package I overnighted to him on Monday hasn't arrived, and I'm not hopeful that that package or the patches will ever arrive. But, I understand that there will be some glitches along the way, since it's the first Jamboree there. It is what it is. I give so much credit to all of the volunteers that are working so hard to make this a good experience!

So, what are your kids enjoying? Any issues? We're heading down and visiting on Saturday...can't wait to go!
Well, not really any "kids", but DH & DS are volunteers this year. DS attended the last one, and DH volunteered for that one, also.

Lots of walking, blisters on the feet, weather hot and mostly humid. But they're enjoying themselves.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Please send along our sincere thanks to your husband and son. I know how hard everyone there is working, in awfully hot weather and on challenging terrain!
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

My son is there and is having a great time, despite all the Jamboree problems. I'm a little miffed that they advertised kids could enjoy all of these different events when it isn't necessarily true. Only 3 kids per troop are getting to do the zip line and as of last night the canopy tour was completely closed. The line to do rock climbing was more than 3 hours long. And he has had some complaints about the lunches. Who feeds kids tuna salad sandwiches when its 90+ degrees outside. That would make me sick ! Instead he has been purchasing food to eat. We wonder if that isn't part of their plan....feed kids things that they won't necessarily want to eat and then stand back and rake in the money while they spend $6 on a slice of pizza.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate View Post
My son is there and is having a great time, despite all the Jamboree problems. I'm a little miffed that they advertised kids could enjoy all of these different events when it isn't necessarily true. Only 3 kids per troop are getting to do the zip line and as of last night the canopy tour was completely closed. The line to do rock climbing was more than 3 hours long. And he has had some complaints about the lunches. Who feeds kids tuna salad sandwiches when its 90+ degrees outside. That would make me sick ! Instead he has been purchasing food to eat. We wonder if that isn't part of their plan....feed kids things that they won't necessarily want to eat and then stand back and rake in the money while they spend $6 on a slice of pizza.
I wondered if it would be a lot of waiting. So many kids!

Our Council sent 36 boys, 6 from our Troop. My own boys summers were too busy, so they are not there. Actually, no Scout Camp of any kind for us this summer, very unusual! Next summer my youngest will go to Sea Base and my middle will go to Norther Tier.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
DawnM
Dawn

not this year. My crew is doing Philmont in 5 days!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

So cool; wish our troop had pursued it!
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate View Post
Overall it will be a great experience, though. My oldest son went to the last Jamboree at Fort AP Hill; my middle son is doing the first Jamboree at The Summit; and my youngest son will be going to the first World Jamboree to be held at The Summit in 2019. Each one will be experiencing something monumental.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: