Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #931
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We didn't use any ATMs on this trip, but in past trips we only used ATMs inside bank lobbies. For us it wasn't a pickpocket issue (though that's always a concern), I just wanted to make sure there is less of a chance that there is an illegal scanner added to the machine.

See this thread here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-in-italy.cfm

Re See Amalfi Coast --- oh the hilarity continues. I posted a summary on cruise critic in response to someone's question on experiences with this company. A "new" poster posted that he was "shocked" that such a thing would happen and to "don't hesitate to use this company!!!"

The funny syntax and multiple exclamation points were kind of a tip off that it was the owner in disguise. Anyway, I asked the Mods to check of the IP address for that poster who claimed he was NOT from Italy. The post was removed. Smart!!!

2 days later I get a terse email from them demanding my home phone number so they can call me. Um, no thanks.
That reminds me of a phone call I got from a bill collector after I had called them to say a letter I got didn't pertain to me. (It was a variation of my married name with an incorrect maiden name.) The bill was for a car rental of $1300. After the guy screamed at me saying, "You know this is your bill. Don't try to deny it." Then he calmly asked for the last 4 digits for my driver's license. Duh. If I rented the car, they would already have that.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #932
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
So do you just shove the cash in your pocket until you can get it tucked away? I plan to use a neck wallet & dh has a hidden pocket to go inside his pants.
I will look for ones with an inside lobby. I'd like to think the banks don't like thieves to hang around inside watching the ATM.
No, DH put it in the wallet he kept in his front pocket and I put it in my wallet that I kept in a cross-body bag. We wore money belts early on, but they were really inconvenient to use.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #933
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then he calmly asked for the last 4 digits for my driver's license. Duh. If I rented the car, they would already have that.
Ok, that's pretty funny.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #934
Kouris_Family
Lovin the Magic

Pick Pocket

I crack up anytime I read anything about pick pocketing.
I am such a non-worrier, and have the attitude, I'll worry about it when it happens, actually I will probably laugh because of the thoughts that come to my mind when I read all the posts of Pick Pocket worriers.
Don't get me wrong, I am very conscious of where my should bag is at all times, I'm not lax when out in public. Just pay attention and it's all gonna be fine.
I've been to Europe 4 times now and have never been pick pocketed. Stop worrying People and have a great vacation...

7/7/07 11 Night Mediterranean MAGIC
6/29/08 Mexican Riviera WONDER
7/18/2010 Baltic Cruise MAGIC
1/21/2011 Cruise to Nowhere WONDER

4/10/2012 Double Dip, Bahamas DREAM

12/23/12 Club 33, Oh Yeah
6/27/2013 Back to the Mediterranean with a new flair MAGIC

5/17/14 Cruise to Nowhere Wonder
Kouris_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #935
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then he calmly asked for the last 4 digits for my driver's license. Duh. If I rented the car, they would already have that.
Well, yes, so if the number you provide doesn't match what's on his paperwork, then you're not the person who rented the car. This isn't a "duh" moment.

Same thing happens with us because there's a person with my DH's name who hasn't paid his student loans. They confirm my husband isn't the miscreant by asking me, "Are the last four digits of his SS# XXXX?" I say no, they stop calling.

Cruises Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, Princess Regal 12/14 Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #936
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhdhd View Post
Well, yes, so if the number you provide doesn't match what's on his paperwork, then you're not the person who rented the car. This isn't a "duh" moment.

Same thing happens with us because there's a person with my DH's name who hasn't paid his student loans. They confirm my husband isn't the miscreant by asking me, "Are the last four digits of his SS# XXXX?" I say no, they stop calling.
No they wouldn't stop calling or writing. When I told him that the middle/maiden name isn't mine, he dropped that off of future letters. He obviously didn't care if the correct person was paying this bill, just any naīve person he could coerce into paying.
I finally had my cousin who is an attorney sent him a "nastygram" as he likes to call them. Then it stopped.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #937
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Yet another question...

Does GS have Euros on hand, not for exchange, but just to break a larger bill? We'll need approx. 500E for various tips & guides. I have envelopes all preprinted for how much goes to whom. If I tap an ATM for cash in Barcelona and have all large bills, would DCL be willing to cash for smaller ones?

Then again, our hotel desk may be able to help with this & I could have it all done before we board.

You're probably wondering by now if I ever have a single thought in my mind that's not Med/cruise-related. Hmmm... No, I don't really.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #938
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yet another question...

Does GS have Euros on hand, not for exchange, but just to break a larger bill? We'll need approx. 500E for various tips & guides. I have envelopes all preprinted for how much goes to whom. If I tap an ATM for cash in Barcelona and have all large bills, would DCL be willing to cash for smaller ones?

Then again, our hotel desk may be able to help with this & I could have it all done before we board.

You're probably wondering by now if I ever have a single thought in my mind that's not Med/cruise-related. Hmmm... No, I don't really.
Yes, they broke bills for us.

BTW, they only exchange Euro when the ship is sailing. They don't do it when the ship is docked. Random thoughts
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #939
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

When we exchanged US$ for Euro onboard, they gave us 20s, 10s and 5s so that should be good for you to exchange larger bills for. But as you collect coins, don't forget that they add up fast... We would periodically use coins for tipping tour guides. Also keep a few coins with you in case you need them for a restroom. I did twice, but only because I didn't want to hassle with getting a coffee to use a cafe's WC.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #940
Cjjoncas
Earning My Ears

I have subscribed to this thread as we're aw booked for a DCL Med cruise in July 2014. Lots of info and helpful tips.
Cjjoncas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #941
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

There are 2 Disney stores in Barcelona. Did anyone visit them? Is it the same stuff you'd see in WDW? I'm wondering if there's anything unique there to make a taxi ride worth it.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #942
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are 2 Disney stores in Barcelona. Did anyone visit them? Is it the same stuff you'd see in WDW? I'm wondering if there's anything unique there to make a taxi ride worth it.
I visited one of the Disney Stores. It was in a mall and had all the same stuff you would find on the disney store website.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #943
Mickeyluver37
I had way more than 3 at a time
I would absolutely try to go eat in the castle

Quote:
We went to the one that's in an outdoor mall, but only because it was a stop on the HoHo and we were stopping for lunch. I didn't end up buying anything as it was the same stuff, just more $$$.

(DH) (Me) (DD17) (DS15) (DS- 6)

Mickeyluver37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #944
Mommb
Mouseketeer

We didn't stop at the Disney stores in Barcelona, because we weren't anywhere near them. My daughter and I did stop briefly in the Disney store in Florence, because we were walking right by it as we went from the Uffizi to the Duomo. The only unusual item I saw was a Mickey Mouse T-shirt that said "Italia." I think our driver drove by another Disney store on a ritzy street in Rome, but we didn't stop.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #945
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I won't go out of way to find one then.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: