Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
JasonShannon76
Mouseketeer

Is a week too short notice to get reservations at O'hana?

I didn't know until now how good O'hana is supposed to be. We will be at WDW from 7/20-7/25. Is it too late to get into O'hana? Do they take walk ins?
JasonShannon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonShannon76 View Post
I didn't know until now how good O'hana is supposed to be. We will be at WDW from 7/20-7/25. Is it too late to get into O'hana? Do they take walk ins?
They're pretty much #2 in difficulty to get a proper dinner ADR for these days (following BOG). You can try to look for an ADR, but I wouldn't get my hopes up to get anything before 9pm. Breakfast may be a touch easier, but still pretty packed.

There have been some reports of walk-ups, but they're few and far between with typically over an hour wait. There have been many more reports of them flat out turning away walk-ups than people scoring them.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I'd go ahead and call. DH decided he wanted to eat here after reading about the bread pudding about a week before our trip. I called and was able to get a 9:30 pm reservation later on during our 11 day trip. If you don't mind possibly eating late, I say go for it! However, I do recommend calling instead of trying to do it online.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA

Last edited by geek+nerd; 07-17-2013 at 05:07 PM.
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
kmb584
DIS Veteran

If dinner at 'Ohana is a must-do I'd start stalking the dining reservation page on WDW as well as the cancelation thread here on the DIS. 'Ohana is an incredibly popular restaurant for dinner. Case in point: my next trip begins on October 22nd and to date, I've only been able to pull up reservations for 8:50 or 9pm for ALL of our dates (22-1). We like to eat dinner between 5-7p as I like to have DD in bed no later than 9:30p while on vacation.

As for walk-ins, you may get lucky or you may not. My best advice is to show up right as the restaurant is opening for dinner and getting your name in. It seems that people who do that have a much better chance of being seated but also consider that it may require you spending hours at the Poly to do so (if at all). If you have a late afternoon and evening to spare, go for it.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
JaneSparrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
If dinner at 'Ohana is a must-do I'd start stalking the dining reservation page on WDW as well as the cancelation thread here on the DIS. 'Ohana is an incredibly popular restaurant for dinner. Case in point: my next trip begins on October 22nd and to date, I've only been able to pull up reservations for 8:50 or 9pm for ALL of our dates (22-1). We like to eat dinner between 5-7p as I like to have DD in bed no later than 9:30p while on vacation.
Ours is from 11/29 to 12/7. I missed the 180 days for a few days and the best I could get is on 11/29 at 9:10pm. Yesterday, I coordinated with someone here on the boards and was able to get it for 12/5 at 8:05pm. The cancellation was for 3 and i was able to reserve it for 5. So there is hope - just need to check regularly and be quick to respond to cancellation notices.
JaneSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Do I assume you mean dinner as opposed to the Character Breakfast there? We got reservations for the Breakfast by calling the afternoon before.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
purple figment
DIS Veteran

It's not too late, but you have to be willing to check online frequently starting now and even after you arrive at DW. I prefer checking online because it's faster vs calling on the phone since the CMs see the same availability. 'Ohana is one of the hardest places to get a reservation, but since it requires a credit card guarantee, people will cancel to avoid the financial no show penalty. Many times the cancellations come just before the deadline so if you're flexible about the date you'll have a better chance. Also, you're more likely to get a late evening res as people who are searching find an earlier one and cancel their late one. Then, you can continue searching for an earlier time as well.

As a last resort you can try walking up. At the podium we have always seen 2 lines for check in. The line closer to the railing was for walk ups. I don't know how many walk ups they take or how long they have to wait. Most people recommend going before opening or late in the evening.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
JasonShannon76
Mouseketeer

9:50pm is the only time available on my dates, and that's too late for my 5 year old. Oh well!
JasonShannon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
9:50pm is the only time available on my dates, and that's too late for my 5 year old. Oh well!
Keep trying!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
jkearson
Mouseketeer

Keep trying. I've got a reservation for October 1, but have been checking multiple times each day for a month. I've seen 3 openings before 8:30 pm open up. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: