Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #481
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Hui, Hula and Hops

Enough of ADR's and Running! Let's go back to Hawaii. After Happy Hour at Monkeypod we headed back to the villa to shower and change. Tonight was the Starlit Hui. Not a luau in the traditional sense (which includes food and bad drinks...you can walk down the road a couple of blocks from Aulani for one of those) it has all the elements of the luau we like (story and music) without the overpriced mediocre food and drinks. Plus it’s a lot shorter! Disney offers this twice a week, for free, to guests. They do ask for room keys as you head in. Walking in you are given a mat and in many cases they will set it up for you on the lawn. We found a spot and got settled.
Our vantage point. As you can see the mats hold their "rolled" curve quite a bit. A family next to us had theirs upside down and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go flat.

See the moon? It was gorgeous!

Maybe that explains this look

I got comfy

There was some pre-show entertainment going on and stuff with the kids

Soon enough, "Uncle" came out and began to explain the Hui

I will be honest, I took no notes and can't recall at all the story line of anything so this will be a lot of the pictures telling (or not) the story

Welcome?

Okay that one almost looks like they are doing the YMCA

And..another story!

Praying for a Mai Tai after work?

Or good waves?

And then something with sticks

Good thing she moved

There’s that moon!

Jeff insisted I get it in the picture

And then he decided to map the night sky with his app

Pretty cool huh

Uncle looks like this one might be serious

Blurry

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-17-2013 at 06:35 PM.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #482
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Continued from previous

Ooh, flames!

Id be sitting down too!

And on to the big stick thingys that they beat to make noises but dont fan themselves with. Whatevertheyarecalled

Whip it, whip it good!

I dont even want to know

A ghost?

No, just really cool birds on a stick

The kinds that fly mind you, not that you eat

Our moon again!

And now for something completely different, Heart and Soul, a ukulele duo

They get INTO it!

Not your mamas ukulele!

They look miserable didnt they?

I LOVED these guys, seriously would have bought an album then and there. In fact I was busy checking itunes and googling as they performed Pretty sure I took some video so will try to upload

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-17-2013 at 06:35 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #483
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Continued from previous

And now…another story. Great commentary huh!

With some sort of flag things that make cool swirls on film

Uh oh, someone is getting sacrificed

Oh maybe not

It’s Hula meets Bollywood!

Thank you, thank you very much!

Ooh, a butterfly!

Nah, just someone tied to a bazillion strips of fabric

After all the performers came out, were thanks, a few more hopped on stage. Recognize these blurs?

Yeah, it would have been nice to be closer

And with that, and children dancing up front, it was over. On the way out the characters beeline for a photo ops but no no photopass. Jeff wanted to get to dinner, but wanted a Stitch picture. The handler rushed us so much, this is what I got

And if the pictures aren't enough, check out the videos here

I had made a late dinner reservation at Monkeypod for after the Hui. I wasn't sure the ressies were really needed but figured better safe than sorry. Walking across the street we were quickly there and asked to be seated outside so we could enjoy the live music.

It was dark

We ordered drinks

For me a glass of Sancerre if memory serves and for Jeff and IPA that he’d not had before but our server talked up. He liked it but not nearly as much as the Maui Big Swell.

Given the hour and the happy hour fries it was straight to entrees for us. Do note that we got about the most expensive things on the menu. Tons of less expensive options, sandwiches, pizza, etc. When I'd planned to eat there, that is the kind of food I assumed we'd order but instead, we splurged.

Ginger Crusted Kona Kampachi - 32.95
Garlic Hapa Rice, Mushroom Ponzu Sauce, Sea Asparagus and Fennel Salad

For Jeff

I am almost positive this was a special of some sort, a fish with a citrus buerre blanc and some kind of mashed potatoes. I think it was Ono. Jeff was sold at the words "mashed potatoes".

Our server was a hoot and a half. Surfer dude turned waiter who “like had never had wine before he worked here! And like, now I have to do food and wine pairings all the time, I love it”. Between him and the poor family next to us we had triple live entertainment if you add the music. The family next to us had kids, probably 5 and 7, literally passing out in their plates.
Literally.

Mom and dad were eating away, enjoying their food and drink, not rushing at all. They had just landed late evening arrival from CA and were trying to keep everyone up for the time change. Kids had been great at the table and then just all of a sudden crashed. Hard. As they gathered them up to leave (both kids being unbelievably non cranky about it. Quiet and out of it but not a whine to be ad) and apologize we told them we’d have done (and have) the same exact thing.

Both of our entrees were outstanding, the night was lovely and so was the company. After a lovely day from start to finish we headed back to our lanai for a nightcap and a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow…the life of the loung(er) lizards was going to get shaken up a bit. After being bums for 2 days straight, we needed to move.

Monks and Tradewinds

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #484
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I meant to comment on this. It's a double edged sword. People have assumed in the past that I run already simply based on looks. If they actually learn that I am now, they assume I am fast, again based on looks. Unless you actually know me for some time and then of course it's more of a pitiful look, like my brother. Like an "oh dear, really?" look. I am not fast, probably will never be but it doesn't stop snap judgement. Goes back to the under the radar thing. What I wanted to avoid, and ended up unable to was the snide comments by real runners, or by others at our start stop point as if somehow running in public and letting folks we know "see" us is somehow showing off (that we actually exercise, that yes, I sweat quite a bit and will do so in public) but then give that "oh" look if the mileage reported back doesn't seem worthy enough. Women are messed up that's all I know. I'm just happy when we don't see anyone we know while out as it just avoids the whole thing. Sad huh. Don't get be wrong, some people are fabulous others well...we will leave it at that.

Sorry if that sounds whiny, a couple of "run ins" over the past week. Won't stop me from going but it's a bit of a bummer at times.
If you are already up to 5 miles you are doing great. The thing I like about running is there are so many levels and its all about personal bests and motivation.

I hope you do get to the point where you can get Zen during your run. I think you will. I do. It took awhile, but it particularly works best for me in the morning. It's a cool feeling.

OH Florida! An East Meets West Girl's TR
The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW, VWL/VGF
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #485
MEK
DIS Veteran

Cool show and fun commentary.

Dinner looks delish. Glad that those kids passing out in their plates caught your attention and gave you inspiration for dinner. Yum!

Great day!

OH Florida! An East Meets West Girl's TR
The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW, VWL/VGF
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #486
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
That's exactly it, the weight bearing aspect. So good for us as we get older. Sad but true and, I hope, worth it!
Swimming just doesn't provide the gravity advantage.

Quote:
I had heard that, last 3 miles or so, right?

The ramp is mile 10 so yup just about the last three. What stink is you can see EPOCT, You know that is the finish but it is 3 MILES to get there literally. To add insult it is not a straight line but rather switch backs. Run up and down turn around, run up another bridge and run down, run in the park to the lagoon and back to the ball. Seems so close but no such luck.

The show looks cool and dinner sounded yummy and entertaining.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #487
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

The show looks like a lot of fun. Nice that there is a free option without the expensive and bad food and drink!

Monkeypod sounds really good...its going on my list.

Jill in CO
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #488
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Thank you for all of the running tips. I'll keep this Disney focused and email you with my progress.

Great update and I love your descriptions, they sound like mine. The show looked very entertaining and dinner looks incredible. So that Monkey place isn't part of Aulani right?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #489
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Hula and Hui Video!

Heart and Soul! These guys are amazing! Sorry I turned the phone sideways...but you can still hear lol.

And what party would be complete without a little electric slide?

And one last shot of the night sky...with Jeff's app

Last edited by eandesmom; 07-18-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #490
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Tonight was the Starlit Hui. Not a luau in the traditional sense (which includes food and bad drinks...you can walk down the road a couple of blocks from Aulani for one of those) it has all the elements of the luau we like (story and music) without the overpriced mediocre food and drinks. Plus it’s a lot shorter!
And if you're really lazy and have a room overlooking the lawn, you might be able to check it out from your balcony!

Quote:
See the moon? It was gorgeous!
Did you or Jeff start growing any fangs?

Quote:
Soon enough, "Uncle" came out and began to explain the Hui
Looks like the same guy who does the storytelling by the fire pit.

Quote:
Okay that one almost looks like they are doing the YMCA
I think this sounds better than the story.

Quote:
Ooh, flames!
Everything is better with flames!

Quote:
Whip it, whip it good!

Quote:
And now for something completely different, Heart and Soul, a ukulele duo
Everything is better with flames and ukuleles!

Quote:
The handler rushed us so much, this is what I got

Looks like Jeff photobombed Stitch!

Quote:
Given the hour and the happy hour fries it was straight to entrees for us. Do note that we got about the most expensive things on the menu. Tons of less expensive options, sandwiches, pizza, etc. When I'd planned to eat there, that is the kind of food I assumed we'd order but instead, we splurged.
Don't worry, we'll take care of the cheap stuff for you.

Quote:
Our server was a hoot and a half. Surfer dude turned waiter who “like had never had wine before he worked here! And like, now I have to do food and wine pairings all the time, I love it”.
Was it Keanu Reeves?

Quote:
Kids had been great at the table and then just all of a sudden crashed. Hard. As they gathered them up to leave (both kids being unbelievably non cranky about it. Quiet and out of it but not a whine to be ad) and apologize we told them we’d have done (and have) the same exact thing.
Sounds like they were good kids. Hard to blame them for being tired.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #491
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I had to giggle at your show commentary. It so sounds like the descriptions that I use. The show looks very entertaining and I'm sure that it was a great way to spend your evening.

Your dinner looks so good even though I'm not a big fan of fish. Well, other than fried catfish which is one of the staples in Louisiana cookin'.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #492
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

What a fun show! And nice that it's free.

Dang, while were the stitch handlers rushing so much? It looked like you got a picture while your husband was running

Mmm, dinner sounds fabulous! I imagine, when my DS gets older, he'll be doing the same thing as those children at dinner...and we'll still be enjoying our drinks
DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT, Jan 2-9, 2015 VGF
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #493
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Looks like a fun show, Cynthia. You got some great pictures for not being up closer.

I can't believe Jeff photobombed the picture with that horrid Stitch.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #494
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Looks like a fun luau show. Your commentary was rather hilarious!

We just watched the podcast of the DISunplugged crew at Aulani (did I say that before? It sounds familiar)
and they mentioned Monkeypod. So of course, I say to Dave, Cynthia and Jeff went there, so we should remember that place!

I also said "I want to go there so bad!" about 10 times.
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #495
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! I'm all caught back up.
Loved the Hui, especially with your commentary! It looks like it was a really beautiful show. Love the little Disney touches all throughout, like the characters coming out on stage at the end! Oh, and Heart and Soul are really cool too!
Your meal looks really good. What a nice evening!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: