Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #301
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

First off, I am another to agree that all those people who were going the wrong way were pretty f*****, er messed up! I'm sure they loved feeling superior over a poor young kid that they could take it out on. I hate to generalize, and there are a lot of parents who do a great job, but there are some that LOVE to be right even when they are dead wrong. I'm sure the woman with the stroller fit in that group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
We are in San Fran for 4 nights, 3 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in transit (probably will stay in Bakersfield), 5 nights at GCV. UBER excited!!!!
Just having come from a few nights in SLO, I would urge you NOT to stay in Bakersfield if you can avoid it. Stay in SLO, Santa Maria, Ventura, I know you're looking into Hilton chains and all those towns have them. You're probably talking about a 30 degree difference in temperature. The coast was 72 degrees and beautiful, I'm guessing Bakersfield was at least 105. But it's a dry heat, at least that's what everyone in the SJ Valley tells themselves to make them feel better over East Coast temperatures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
YEAH me too I love the Dis, able to meet so many awesome and amazing people, I cant wait Im counting down the days I need a mini vaca stat! lol
I just got back from one, so I hope that I'm still somewhat relaxed when I meet you gals! We have the D23 Expo the week before so I have a feeling that I will be back into tension mode!

Quote:
OHHHHH!!!!! I hope that happens!! Because we will be arriving at GCV August 21 until the 26th- so we would DEFINITELY overlap!!!! Oh PLEASE say it's so!! I've been dying to meet you, Jenny-girl, for a very long time!!
Jenny, I need to message you about your DL day, Ellen and I are going to meet up for drinks on the 21st at a nice and serene place. If that's the day you want to go, maybe we can all meet up!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 07-14-2013 at 11:52 PM.
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #302
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post

Omg El I haven't had a Konk Kooler either.. so Jill you willjust have to have a few for us k..
You guys should just tag along and drink them with me.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #303
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Jenny, I need to message you about your DL day, Ellen and I are going to meet up for drinks on the 21st at a nice and serene place. If that's the day you want to go, maybe we can all meet up!
A meet sounds fun. I like the word serene. Michael doesn't believe we'll only do one day at Disney. I told him we did it last time. Still kicking myself, hard, for not taking him up on his buzzed AP offer.

Ellen, I've been dying to meet you too. I'll let you know as soon as I know. We'll be staying with my friend in Seal Beach, like 2 blocks from the beach. It's going to be a beach heavy trip once I get the green light to go.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #304
EvilQueensRock
Mouseketeer

What a fun trip! We are doing something similar in October 2014, except DH will not let us cruise Disney without him. Thanks for the heads up on Vibe vs Edge - DD will be in a similar situation where she will turn 14 within a month of the cruise. (She had already declared she wanted to go to Vibe.)

Disney Wonder October 2014
Port Orleans French Quarter 2006
All-Star Music 2005
EvilQueensRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #305
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

[QUOTE=anewmac;48966024]YEAH me too I love the Dis, able to meet so many awesome and amazing people, I cant wait Im counting down the days I need a mini vaca stat! lol

Me too!! It's almost here! Although, truth be told, I am more excited for baseball to be done than ANYTHING else. I have grown to HATE it- four teams of "Yea- there's some baseball at some point but we're men and we can't give you a schedule til 5 minutes before you need to be there because we aren't worried about your other kids or babysitters for your other son or the logistics of getting one kid to one field at 3 and another kid to a different field at another end of the earth at 5" has gotten surprisingly OLD!

Quote:
[COLOR="Navy"]
Nassau isn't considered super safe- they were ok with me getting off, just not by myself-
ya its not even safe to go mail a postcard!!!

I still can't believe you did that!

Omg El I haven't had a Konk Kooler either.. so Jill you willjust have to have a few for us k..
I thought about it again and I think I actually did have one once- I remember it was really sweet. But I would like to try again, that's for sure! We need to plan a cruise for the next trip- and we are GOING, no matter WHO cancels out. Got it?
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #306
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
First off, I am another to agree that all those people who were going the wrong way were pretty f*****, er messed up! I'm sure they loved feeling superior over a poor young kid that they could take it out on. I hate to generalize, and there are a lot of parents who do a great job, but there are some that LOVE to be right even when they are dead wrong. I'm sure the woman with the stroller fit in that group.

Yes, I believe she did- of course, because it was clear she was ALWAYS right!

Just having come from a few nights in SLO, I would urge you NOT to stay in Bakersfield if you can avoid it. Stay in SLO, Santa Maria, Ventura, I know you're looking into Hilton chains and all those towns have them. You're probably talking about a 30 degree difference in temperature. The coast was 72 degrees and beautiful, I'm guessing Bakersfield was at least 105. But it's a dry heat, at least that's what everyone in the SJ Valley tells themselves to make them feel better over East Coast temperatures!

Well, sorry babe, but we are still staying in Bakersfield. As long as there's air conditioning in the car and in the hotel room, that's really all we care about- we are not hangin out there, just pulling over and sleeping! I looked, and while the coast is much prettier I'm sure, and much cooler, it also adds a good 3 hours to our drive. Our plan is to spend the day in Yosemite, go see the Sequoias, drive 4 hours, stopping somewhere in fresno to eat, then sleep in Bakersfield, then wake up and drive a couple more hours to DL. It's just a pit stop, KWIM? And I have heard about this dry heat- we are having a heat wave here right now, and it's pretty humid out there in addition to being 99 degrees- just YUCK!

I just got back from one, so I hope that I'm still somewhat relaxed when I meet you gals! We have the D23 Expo the week before so I have a feeling that I will be back into tension mode!

Nahhh....I'm sure you'll be relaxed with us- you'll be too busy laughing at Drea to be tension mode about anything!

YES!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
You guys should just tag along and drink them with me.

Jill in CO
I wish we could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
A meet sounds fun. I like the word serene. Michael doesn't believe we'll only do one day at Disney. I told him we did it last time. Still kicking myself, hard, for not taking him up on his buzzed AP offer.

Ellen, I've been dying to meet you too. I'll let you know as soon as I know. We'll be staying with my friend in Seal Beach, like 2 blocks from the beach. It's going to be a beach heavy trip once I get the green light to go.
I have my fingers and toes all crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilQueensRock View Post
What a fun trip! We are doing something similar in October 2014, except DH will not let us cruise Disney without him. Thanks for the heads up on Vibe vs Edge - DD will be in a similar situation where she will turn 14 within a month of the cruise. (She had already declared she wanted to go to Vibe.)
Thanks! It was a very fun trip, and I felt very lucky to be on it! I hope it all works out for your DD in Vibe!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #307
podsnel

So I continued to hang out with my Kindle, enjoying a relaxing day on the beach...

I did not venture out to the slides this time- it was in the 70's (air temp) and the water was cool- I am one of those that has to be hot to go swimming, ya know?

See? Only a few diehards out there!

Hey! Great news! I was in the process of posting the pics, and PB froze up, so I exited and went back and now all the rest of the CC pics are gone! But dinner and Pirate night are there! Makes total sense, right?

I'll be back later when PB finds my photos- SO STUPID!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #308
podsnel

And we're back! Well, that makes sense!

I took a stroll out to that Heads Up bar-

NEXT time, I will actually have to order something from there....

So i walked the other way....

And then went back to read some more-

but, eventually, it dawned on me that there were less and less people on the beach, and that maybe i should go round up Tim...

except....all those teens were gone, and he had already rounded himself up and back to the ship! Guess that would mean it's time for me to go, too!

The dreaded sign....

Which is MUCH MUCH easier to take when you aren't thinking "DAMN! Time to pack ALREADY!!!"

Maybe it's just me, but I felt like I was being watched!

Back to the cabin, where I found my young traveling companion/deserter. We ordered some room service, and watched

which I had never seen before. And which also reminds me....I did not go to a Magic Show the day before- I went to the movies and saw Oz the Great and Powerful in 3D with Timmy. DUH. And we liked it, but didn't love it. Which was also the collective opinion of my drinking & pouring companions the night before, who all LOVED Brave. Which I had also never seen, so that was why I was watching it NOW in my cabin.

Sorry about the mix up- I guess I really should take notes if I'm going to write TRs 4 months after the fact!

While we were watching, our room service was delivered (and it came in like 30 minutes, which was impressive considering what time of day it was)

THIS time, i was not going to forget to have

Like I did on the last cruise.

After Brave (and showers) we actually DID go to the Magic show-

They are married, I think they said she was a former Miss Some Southern State like Georgia or Mississippi...

Great Magic show! I really do find magic fascinating.

Up next- Pirate Night, me hardies! ARGHHHHHHH.....

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #310
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Great pictures. I do like that sea day too after CC. It's so nice to have one more day.
Yea- I think most people feel that way. I think I just saw (on Flossbolna's TR maybe?) that they do CC intentionally on the last day- saving the best for last, or leaving you with a day in paradise last so that's what you think of when you remember your cruise or something along those lines, I think. But all it does for me is make that looooong walk back to the ship the most depressing moment of the whole vacation outside of when you debark!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #311
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

That slide out in the water was not there when we went, I really need to go on a cruise.
Great pictures

Goofy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #312
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ok so I have to agree with Allison, Bakersfield really is the armpit of California.

That said, other than THAT part, your trip sounds FABULOUS!!!! So very jealous, what a wonderful end to summer.

I read the bike escapade on my phone and don't think I commented. Those folks are morons. Honestly that is why we often won't rent a bike in this scenario,it's the blind leading the blind, getting run over and then blaming someone else for the fact they are blind. Despite idiotic entitled self important morons being mean to poor Timmy, it sounds LOVELY!!!

But I'd be a bit annoyed that he went back to the ship without letting you know.

Loving the room service and a very relaxed set of shows
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #313
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm excited to have the Sea Day as the last day for my Dream cruise in October...I hate having get back onboard and pack too. Just seems like this way will be more relaxing!

Jill in CO
Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #314
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
That slide out in the water was not there when we went, I really need to go on a cruise.
Great pictures
Well, now those slides are alot more recent- they built them when they expanded CC for the dream and the Fantasy. So that makes sense! I hope you do go on a cruise again- there is a TON more to do at CC than what you remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Ok so I have to agree with Allison, Bakersfield really is the armpit of California.

So do you guys mean we should not even SLEEP there? We don't have any plans to do anything in Bakersfield other than park our car overnight while we sleep.

That said, other than THAT part, your trip sounds FABULOUS!!!! So very jealous, what a wonderful end to summer.

Our end of summer is actually going to be at the beach in Florida- the kids go back to school Sept 9th this year (Rosh Hashanah and Labor Day are the same week, so they get the week off-)

I read the bike escapade on my phone and don't think I commented. Those folks are morons. Honestly that is why we often won't rent a bike in this scenario,it's the blind leading the blind, getting run over and then blaming someone else for the fact they are blind. Despite idiotic entitled self important morons being mean to poor Timmy, it sounds LOVELY!!!

That totally cracked me up! I think you're more pissed than me! Seriously- I felt like I was in an alternate universe or something- I could not wrap my head around how all these people thought it was ok to go against the arrows! BIZARRE!!

But I'd be a bit annoyed that he went back to the ship without letting you know.

I was- I let him have it when I found him.

Loving the room service and a very relaxed set of shows
Yes, it was relaxing-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm excited to have the Sea Day as the last day for my Dream cruise in October...I hate having get back onboard and pack too. Just seems like this way will be more relaxing!

Jill in CO
SOOOOO much better! You'll see!!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #315
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm so envious that you live some where that observe the High Holidays (Rosh and Yom Kippur). Utah still doesn't know what that is but by gosh July 24th is a holiday here. It's Pioneer Day or as we sinners call it: Pie and Beer Day.

Looks like a fun day. How did Timmy let you know he was back on the ship?

How cold was the water at CC? I'm a little nervous for our January adventure.

Chicken wings and Mickey bars, my exact plan for an after excursion snack.

And I echo that Bakersfield is a crap hole but certainly not as bad as Barstow. But you're fine to sleep there.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: