Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #91
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

So you would be happy if there was a dunkin donuts or a krispy kreme on main street? But starbucks is bad?
No-I would not be happy.. Bring back the cinnamon bums!
DJRosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #92
Dopey420
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRosko View Post
This makes me angry-I am a huge Norman Rockwell fan and old time "Americana" aficionado as well as a "cup of joe" (Dunkin/Krispy Kreme etc) type guy... This is an absolute travesty-IMHOthe only way it would please us purists(I'm not the only one) is IF they kept the ENTIRE Main St Bakery Menu and supplemented that with Starbucks drinks... The Starbucks "bakery" items are lackluster at best and their cinnamon roll holds nary a drop of wax to the original MSB cinn roll... Walt Disney would be losing his proverbial marbles and perhaps spouting off like Donald Duck... He would've figured out a way to balance the sponsorship with the creativity of the bakers and make it all work and preserve the intent of Main Street.

(Perhaps I should expound upon this and email Mr. Staggs??)
Apologies if someone has already posted this BUT....

Perhaps you'll remember Casa de Fritos in Disneyland? Or how about Aunt Jemima's Pancake House?

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/bl...us-fritos.html

Casa de Fritos originally opened the month after the opening of Disneyland in 1955 next to Aunt Jemima's Pancake House in an area called New Orleans Street.

Soarin' is borin'

December 2013- Boardwalk Villas; October 2012- Saratoga Springs; October 2011- Saratoga Springs; December 2009- Saratoga Springs April 2009- Boardwalk Villas; October 2008- Boardwalk Villas; July 2008- Dolphin; December 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2007- AllStar Music, Saratoga Springs, Pop Century; Oct 2006- AllStar Sports, BWV, POFQ; July 2005- Vero, Boardwalk Inn; Oct 2004- Contemporary Tower; Feb 2004- Coronado Springs; Dec 2003- Radisson Resort Parkway; Oct 2002- Best Western Lake Cecile; Apr 1994- Delta Resort
Dopey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #93
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I think Walt would be fine with it considering almost all of the original Main Street in DL was comprised of non-Disney stores. You could buy bras and pianos after you we're done going on rides.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #94
KodakFigment
Mouseketeer

Well, based on my observations in the past month since opening, Starbucks better pick up or it will be gone too. The store has been relatively empty with lots of CM's standing around in the 5 times I've walked in. Lines are overflowing at every other QS. Maybe it's the lackluster food or maybe it's the fact there is NO seating! Whose brilliant idea was that?? No tables inside or out. The best of the Bakery is gone and honestly it doesn't seem as though that many people want a coffee "to go".

Halfway through the Resort list - but now living only minutes away
KodakFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #95
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakFigment View Post
...doesn't seem as though that many people want a coffee "to go".
That's probably the issue. Not once have i ever been in the park wishing for a cup of coffee. Disney Land / California Adventure has a similar setup but hot chocolate is served and that is a busy counter. Not sure if it is a Starbucks or any other brand or just disney
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #96
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Interesting. I think Starbucks is a great idea. The seating may be a big part of it, also the unfamiliarity; it is new. However, maybe everyone already had their coffee at the resort. Maybe if they put Starbucks there. I think it is a matter of wait and see. It is hard to draw hard conclusions from 5 visits. What time of day did you visit?

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #97
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Starbucks Opens at Disney World: What Would Walt Say? http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/st...141500682.html

This article takes on a more neutral tone.

Disney removes Main Street Bakery in favor of Starbucks http://investorplace.com/2013/06/dis...oversy-ensues/

The DIS blog article: Starbucks opens at the Magic Kingdom! http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/06/18/s...magic-kingdom/

I agree and will miss the bakery but the new coffee house looks pretty darn good and the world did not end.
Walt would be having a cigarette, drinking a cup, counting his money and wondering how he could get tourists to spend more cash at the park.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #98
KodakFigment
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
It is hard to draw hard conclusions from 5 visits. What time of day did you visit?
Not trying to draw conclusions, just making an observation. I'm local and visit at all times of the day. Actually, a friend is training for the EP location so we have made a point to visit at different times and days of the week. Stopped a couple times near opening, midday, afternoon parade time and early evening. Haven't seen a line or a throng. Pretty surprising, that's how we came to the idea that it might be the lack of seating.

PP poster mentioned Walt having coffee and a cigarette - well he wouldn't be in the shop because there is no place to sit down.

Halfway through the Resort list - but now living only minutes away
KodakFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #99
godolphin123
Earning My Ears

Would you like some coffee with that

I never have understood the Starbucks craze. I'm just a black coffee drinker and their coffee drinks don't punch my ticket. And sadly I know I don't go to experience the magic to get what I can find on every street corner in the good ol' USA. Seems to me they dropped the creative ball on this one.
godolphin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #100
MEG&MINNIE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakFigment View Post
Well, based on my observations in the past month since opening, Starbucks better pick up or it will be gone too. The store has been relatively empty with lots of CM's standing around in the 5 times I've walked in. Lines are overflowing at every other QS. Maybe it's the lackluster food or maybe it's the fact there is NO seating! Whose brilliant idea was that?? No tables inside or out. The best of the Bakery is gone and honestly it doesn't seem as though that many people want a coffee "to go".
I agree...I hope they restore it back to the "OLD' Main St. Bakery with all those goodies before I come back for a visit !!!!

Maybe they should open up a Starbuck's kiosk in each resort ( like a previous poster stated)...so visitors can get their morning coffee there ,if they'd like.

Please bring back the OLD BAKERY and it's baked goods
1977- Offsite-"Spring Break" , 1994-Caribbean Beach Resort , 1998-All-Stars Resort , 2000-Dixie Landing (POR) , 2002-Wilderness Lodge , 2005-August POP Century , 2007-August POP Century , 2010- POP Aug.17-24 ,2010....50th Birthday , POR-July 2012 , POP-April 19-26 , 2014
Be kinder than necessary-everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!
MEG&MINNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #101
misspeggy
Earning My Ears

Happy!

I love my starbucks! I think the seating and location is off. It should be at the resorts. But no lines sounds like a good deal for my visit in two weeks.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #102
jimsanfilippo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Interesting. I think Starbucks is a great idea. The seating may be a big part of it, also the unfamiliarity; it is new. However, maybe everyone already had their coffee at the resort. Maybe if they put Starbucks there. I think it is a matter of wait and see. It is hard to draw hard conclusions from 5 visits. What time of day did you visit?
I can't imagine why they're not doing gangbusters. Personally, I would love a cup of piping hot coffee outside when it's 95 degrees and humid.
2014 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2013 Pop Century Resort, 2012 Orbit One Villas/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2012 (Disneyland) HoJo Plaza Hotel Anaheim, 2012 Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 2012 Bay Lake Towers, 2011 (Disneyland) Grand Californian Villas, 2011 Windsor Hills Resort, 2010 (Disneyland) Peacock Suites, 2010 The Palms Hotels & Villas, 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2009 Liki Tiki Village, 2008 Magical Memories Villas, 2006 Coronado Springs/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2006 Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2004 Universal Studios Area Hotel, 2003 Wilderness Lodge, 1997 Wilderness Lodge/Niki Bird, 1991 Small cheap motel, 1990 Small cheap motel, 1981 Orlando Area Campground
jimsanfilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #103
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsanfilippo View Post
I can't imagine why they're not doing gangbusters. Personally, I would love a cup of piping hot coffee outside when it's 95 degrees and humid.
I'm not sure I want to walk around the MK with a hot cup of coffee, but what I could see doing is drinking one back at the resort while the kids are getting ready.

I think Starbucks at disney is a great idea, but just in the wrong places. I think they would do gangbusters at the resorts.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #104
godolphin123
Earning My Ears

or

do they need starbucks at all...Disney could go gangbusters just making their own coffee flavored drinks.
godolphin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #105
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

I don't have a problem with Starbucks, but I do have a problem with them cutting out food items and seating. This used to be a nice breakfast stop for us. Now there is no point.

Also, while hot coffee is the last thing I want in the heat, I will definitely be getting frappuccino and my shaken ice tea lemonade in August!!!
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: