Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #137
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

to the IT genius! That is awesome he was able to recover all the pics! Looking forward to the next update.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #138
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

First day at sea! First day at sea!

Alaska sea days are awesome. You’re tooling along, and all of the sudden there’s a glacier. Or a really cool fishing boat. Or a buoy. SOME people even see whales, but I’m not mentioning any names. *cough cough* Parents *cough cough*

When last we typed, I was highlighting the Navigator for Izzy. Well, our first scratch-off occurred at 8:30, when we slept right through the Disney Junior wake-up in the Promenade Lounge. Oops.

If you have young kids who love Disney Junior, the wake up is lots of fun. It’s a chance to wiggle to all of the show’s theme songs. Like “nuh-nuh-nuh-NUH-nuh-NUH, Handy Manny….” They seem to do it most mornings. A cast member plays the songs and herds the cats leads the kids in something sort of resembling a dance routine.

Yes, I am aware of how utterly lame this sounds but I assure you, it’s a hoot.

Disney Junior wakeup aside, we dragged ourselves to the buffet where I finally found the Mickey waffles I thought had been discontinued: next to the omelet station. Seriously? How long has this been going on? I swear, I have not been able to find these things for the past three cruises – is that where they’re been? I had to eat three to make up for lost time. Actually, I probably ate more, but no one needs to know about that…I know the Mickey waffles are made from the same mix as those boring old square waffles (which, let’s face it, are nothing special) but darnit, they just taste better. They are the one exception to my “don’t eat anything that smiles back at you” rule.

Stef and Jason had joined us for breakfast (my parents were too busy seeing every whale in Alaska to join us), and we adults made big plans to RELAX while the kids went to the Oceaneer’s Club. After breakfast we told the girls about “Where’s Tink?” expecting a resounding WOOHHOOOOOO YEAH!!!!!

“I don’t WANNA go to the Oceaneer Club!” *insert whiniest 3 year old voice imaginable here*

Wait, was that was MY kid?

Let me tell you something: well before Isabelle was ever conceived, we were excited about the kids’ club. I imagined myself strolling along, lovingly kissing my child on the top of the head and waving goodbye as said child practically ran over anyone in the path just to get into the coveted club. I mean, they had a pirate ship! And Peter Pan! And Snow White! Heck, I wanted to go to the kids’ club MYSELF! I thought I would have to drag her out of there kicking and screaming just to see her every once and awhile….and there she was, whimpering “don’t LEAVE me” as if abandonment were a regular practice of mine.

We discussed the merits of seeing Tinkerbell, and she agreed that – for Tink – she would try it out. I promised we would come and get her if she decided she did not want to stay, but she had to at least try it. So up we went, her clinging the whole time and me feeling like a terrible parent for “making her” go play pirates with Tinkerbell. And then? When we arrived? Just as I was preparing for scream-fest 2013? She tapped her wrist and went straight in without so much as a glance back at us.

We had done it. She and Paige were in. Freedom!

Stef and I exchanged a glance that said “KID-FREE SHOPPING!” and we were off. The boys had also exchanged a secret glance that said “Bingo!” and they were gone. That was fine – I wanted to scope out Princess dresses, as we had promised Isabelle she could get a new one during the vacation.

After shopping Stef and I realized the Princess gathering was only 30 minutes away…time had kind of gotten away from us and we hadn’t planned well enough ahead to have the girls all dolled up for the even as initially planned. As we were making plans to just catch the next one (they have two or three during the course of the cruise), there was a call from the Oceaneer’s club: Paige was ready to leave. Surely Izzy would follow suit. So we had a decision to make: grab the girls and head for princesses in their playclothes, or grab them and find something else to do while the boys finished at Bingo.

Civilian attire it was.

Yes, in my head I imagined her in her new dress (which we hadn’t even bought yet) with her hair all done, smelling like flowers and twirling around like a little angel while we took the perfect photos that would make all of the other parents immensely jealous. In reality, however, she really doesn’t care WHAT she is wearing when she gives Belle a hug. She just wants to give Belle a hug! As an aside, this is one of the major things that I have been able to change about myself since I became a mom – the ability to let go of preconceived notions of what things SHOULD be like. I’m not 100% on this, but I’m getting better. Fortunately Stef is the same way.

Stef grabbed the girls while I secured a spot in line. People, the Princess gathering gets CRAZY. Don’t think you’ll show up at 12:30 and walk right up to Snow White – uh, uh. At 12:00 we were wrapped halfway around the atrium and stretched toward the side entrance of Tritons. As we waited for the boys, it dawned on Stef and I that the kids had not eaten yet…and we were going to be there for awhile. The forecast was looking like meltdowns all over the place. We had to make a decision: leave the line and risk missing princesses (cue meltdown!) or stay in line and meet princesses SANS lunch and make some drastic mistake like, oh I don’t know, pressing the elevator button and CUE MELTDOWN!!!!

Y’all folks with preschoolers know exactly what I’m talking about here. It’s a slippery slope when dealing with a hungry or cranky child. Everything is devastating. Most days of my life involve some variation of the following:

Isabelle: “I wanted to do it myself! Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh” *falling to the ground in slow motion, forming a limp kid puddle*

Me: “…but all I did was hang up a towel…”

And then, along came Mister Incredible. Two of them. Bingo winnings in one hand ($350! Of course we spent about the equivalent of that on further Bingo games…you know what’s sitting on my nightstand? Bing ball lip balm. High five if you got that) and in the other cups containing chicken tenders, grapes and forks.

Money AND portable kid lunch. If we hadn’t married them already, we would have proposed to them right then and there.

I highly recommend the portable kid lunch, by the way. It passed some time in the line, and the girls each held a cup and then traded halfway through. By the time we got to the front they were fed and happy and SO ready for princesses. Ok, they might have also had some crumbs on their faces, but thankfully Mister Incredible also had the kid bag with wet wipes.

We came, we saw the princesses, and Izzy talked their ears off.

I’ve been to many a Princess gathering and I still wonder if these ladies think it’s the best thing ever or whether it’s the most dreaded event of the day. I mean, I think my daughter is both hilarious and adorable (she gets it from me) but I’m sure by the hundredth three year old saying “I have a princess dress too!” and all of the bustling that it gets old. Plus some of the adults were a little…..creepy? I wonder how often they rotate Princesses. I did note Ariel was played by the same girl on our Alaska cruise in 2011.

This one was probably the best I’ve been to with Isabelle – ALL of the Princesses looked and acted the part. Moms, you know this: every now and then you get an odd Princess who doesn’t QUITE look right, or doesn’t really know how to act. Let me tell you – Ariel was in full character, Cinderella and Snow White were incredibly sweet, Belle was gorgeous and Tiana put on a great southern accent! Other than the initial disappointment that Merida wasn’t there, Izzy loved it.

Up next: it's raining seals!
zweihund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #139
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Someone coined a phrase "hangry"...I can't remember who...but I think it is brilliant! Those photos with Izzy and the Princess Gang are precious! She doesn't need a Princess dress to look adorable.

On a side note, I met Anorexic Cinderella at Epcot last year. I just wanted to go buy her some pastries from France. She was scary skinny.

Jill in CO
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #140
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

We just got back from Alaska too and the princesses on the Wonder this year are wonderful (no pun intended). We ran into Belle around the ship several times, the girls suspected photog assistant Claire was Belle out of costume, and she is just as nice out of costume as she is in.

Jill
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #141
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Loving Izzy's boots!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #142
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Awww.....your daughter's face in every photo is PRICELESS!!! She is so happy, and just so sweet! Civvies or not-
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #143
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

Thanks for warning me about the tears when you board the ship...I cried the first time we took our DD to WDW and the Princess Parade passed by. ( She was 3 1/2 and all princess crazy)....so I can only imagine the waterworks when we finally get to board the Dream in 2014 after 12+ months of planning...If I cry, DH will never let me live it down. Oh great... LOL

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #144
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Yeah! Joining in here! We (myself and will be then 5yo DS) are on the 9 night Alaska next year and can't wait! We have one trip to WDW planned in October and sadly I'm already mentally on Alaska. I love your report and any wait to read more so hurry up ok

I feel I'm a bit of a planner myself though I can't believe that I have not made an excursion spreadsheet nor a packing list yet! What am I thinking? There is only 305 days until we leave!!!!ARGH. I have however booked our flights (on United ) but we got an awesome deal from Boston for about $375 a person! Yeh I was looking at those $750 price tags too. Also just booked our hotel stay before and after at the Pan Pacific. We are only staying a day before and a day after so I hope we can acclimate to the time change FAST being from NH. Now I'm scared about that but hoping our arrival time at about noon helps us out like you said it did for you.

Can't wait to read more. Oh and I have to look at my other camera lens and see if it has image stabilizer. You are the 2nd person who mentioned renting lenses. I just want to have to deal with 1 lens an not do switching back and forth for one event ya know. Ok I have to get busy. Only 43 more weekends before we leave!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #145
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Oh and may I ask a question of the people who have been on the trip already or who are going please? What are you all doing about getting cash for Vancouver? Sure I an go to an ATM while there or use my cc, but I'm talking needing tip money for the taxi/bellboy/etc.

Thanks

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #146
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Someone coined a phrase "hangry"...I can't remember who...but I think it is brilliant! Those photos with Izzy and the Princess Gang are precious! She doesn't need a Princess dress to look adorable.

On a side note, I met Anorexic Cinderella at Epcot last year. I just wanted to go buy her some pastries from France. She was scary skinny.

Jill in CO
How can anyone be skinny when they work within spitting distance of Les Halles
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #147
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post

Jill in CO
Ha! I love it. Hangry is my new favorite word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
How can anyone be skinny when they work within spitting distance of Les Halles
Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfandj View Post
We just got back from Alaska too and the princesses on the Wonder this year are wonderful (no pun intended). We ran into Belle around the ship several times, the girls suspected photog assistant Claire was Belle out of costume, and she is just as nice out of costume as she is in.

Jill
They really were great. And I have to say while "Ariel's" voice was a bit on the obnoxious side, she was a total pro....Tiana arrived about 30 minutes late to the Princess Tea Party (which I will report on later) and she covered her absence like a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Loving Izzy's boots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Awww.....your daughter's face in every photo is PRICELESS!!! She is so happy, and just so sweet! Civvies or not-
Thank you and thank you! She was in total Princess Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers2008 View Post
Thanks for warning me about the tears when you board the ship...I cried the first time we took our DD to WDW and the Princess Parade passed by. ( She was 3 1/2 and all princess crazy)....so I can only imagine the waterworks when we finally get to board the Dream in 2014 after 12+ months of planning...If I cry, DH will never let me live it down. Oh great... LOL
It's very overwhelming, even after nine cruises. I'm about to start crying now. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Yeah! Joining in here! We (myself and will be then 5yo DS) are on the 9 night Alaska next year and can't wait! We have one trip to WDW planned in October and sadly I'm already mentally on Alaska. I love your report and any wait to read more so hurry up ok

I feel I'm a bit of a planner myself though I can't believe that I have not made an excursion spreadsheet nor a packing list yet! What am I thinking? There is only 305 days until we leave!!!!ARGH. I have however booked our flights (on United ) but we got an awesome deal from Boston for about $375 a person! Yeh I was looking at those $750 price tags too. Also just booked our hotel stay before and after at the Pan Pacific. We are only staying a day before and a day after so I hope we can acclimate to the time change FAST being from NH. Now I'm scared about that but hoping our arrival time at about noon helps us out like you said it did for you.

Can't wait to read more. Oh and I have to look at my other camera lens and see if it has image stabilizer. You are the 2nd person who mentioned renting lenses. I just want to have to deal with 1 lens an not do switching back and forth for one event ya know. Ok I have to get busy. Only 43 more weekends before we leave!
Nice deal on those flights! Hopefully United will get their act together before then

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
Oh and may I ask a question of the people who have been on the trip already or who are going please? What are you all doing about getting cash for Vancouver? Sure I an go to an ATM while there or use my cc, but I'm talking needing tip money for the taxi/bellboy/etc.

Thanks
We used the ATM as soon as we arrived. You can get cash in the airport. We also used our debit cards for most of our purchases as the transaction fee from our credit union was so minimal and we really weren't sure how much we would end up spending overall.

Working on an update for tonight, trying to scare up a few pictures....apparently we didn't take many that evening so I am stealing Stef's off of facebook! Shhhh - it's our little secret
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #148
zweihund
I tagged myself. I'm it.

Picking up after Princess time....

Post gathering I suggested Isabelle go to “Do Si Do with Snow White,” certain Isabelle she would jump at the chance for more Princess time. I was feeling rather impressed with my wily self, and was already imagining spending the next few hours either soaking in the Quiet Cove hot tub or sipping a latte in the Café as I casually flipped through a magazine without a care in the world.

Isabelle smiled. “Where is Snow White?”
“At the Oceaneer’s Club!”
“NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”
*assuming pile-of-limp-child posture*

As if she had been bound and tortured by Captain Hook earlier that morning. Wait, had she? Paige piped in with “I want to go! Can I go?” Surely Izzy would buckle under the peer pressure. Right? But my daughter is nothing if not stubborn. I have NO IDEA where she got that from….*ahem* she refused. No, no, no. Though my visions of adult time were quickly fading before my eyes, I didn’t want to push it. Maybe she was tired and just wanted some parent time. Lionel and I sucked it up, enjoying the fact that for now, at least, she likes us. We took the opportunity to chalk up MAJOR mommy and daddy points by letting her pick out her princess dress.

Quick photo op before parting ways….

Last cruise, she was immediately attracted to Belle. This year, she had been wavering between Cinderella and Aurora and Ariel and Jasmine and….well, basically she was naming a different princess daily (if not hourly). Still, I expected her to pick a classic. And then? She surprised us both by bee-lining for Merida, an option none of us had never considered.

Kind of a bummer for Florida – it’s more of an air-conditioning dress, sadly. But it is pretty darned cute. And as a side note, she has worn it WAY more than she ever wore her Belle dress. Roleplay as Merida is hilarious. “Mommy, tell me no weapons on the table!” She will squeal gleefully as she sets her suction cup bow and arrow set down and I pretend to be a grumpy Scottish queen. Despite living there for three years, however, my Scottish accent is horrendous. Thank goodness my three year old doesn’t know the difference yet.

I’m digressing again.

Let's reel it back in with a photo...I call this still life “sad child in window”...

After choosing Merida, the three of us roamed the ship for a bit and then played in the room and just when I was thinking a nap before dinner might be nice BOOM! – it was 5:30. Um, what? Were we in a time warp or something? Well, here’s where I have to interject my latest discovery. In order to explain my next point, I must provide a few definitions from the Jacques dictionary. I promise you, this is not a digression. Or if it is, it’s just a wee one.

Cruise Time (n) – the time envelope you are folded into immediately upon entering a cruise ship, in which the minutes tick by more slowly, thereby allowing you to fit more things into your day and to provide ample time to spend more money on alcoholic beverages and overpriced 8x10 photos. Used in a sentence: “I thought we’d been in this hot tub for at least an hour, but it’s only been 30 minutes! Thanks, Cruise Time, it looks like we can go to Bingo after all!”

Toddler Time (n) – the state of every action in your entire day taking two to three times as long as it would if you didn’t have your kid in tow. Used in a sentence: “My daughter took 10 minutes to put on her shoes and another 20 to whine about them not being the ones she picked out. I blame Toddler Time for my tardiness.”

After much scientific research, many calculations and several “wth?” moments, we discovered that when Cruise Time and Toddler Time collide, time simply passes at the normal rate. When you are EXPECTING time to pass at Cruise Time, you can get yourself into trouble. Or you just have to send your child to dinner in her Merida dress WITHOUT fabulous hair. Though were she in modern times, I could totally see Merida in a headband with a giant blue bow…

Off to formal night we went! Paige dressed in her Belle dress, so there were many oohs and aahs on he way to dinner as well as several stops to “twirl.” When it comes to this dinner, I remember less WHAT we and more what was going on WHILE we ate. Our head server spent a lot of time at our table chatting with “the princesses.” He said he was missing his little girl and would get to see her soon. And it pays to get friendly with your head server, because if you don’t have ambitious servers like we’ve had in the past (and don’t get me wrong, ours were very nice, they just didn’t often go above and beyond) THE HEAD HONCHO WILL BRING BERRIES FOR YOUR KIDS. And will bring them to you every night thereafter without you even asking. Merida and Belle happily ate their special fruit, feeling very royal indeed. In fact, this is the last night I remember Isabelle happily eating anything. But we’ll get to that.

The little Princesses - note the fabulous blue bow...

Post dinner we headed out to the Golden Mickeys, fabulous as always. I’m always amazed by the sheer number of people in these shows. What do they do all day when they are not performing? Fill roles as characters? Provide other entertainment? Lounge by the pool? I’ve just always wondered. Seems like that would be a sweet job for some young, talented person.

Back at the room, we discovered our stateroom attendant Ana had put PRINCESS SHEETS on Isabelle’s bed. She was thrilled beyond words. Not only was it her special little bed, her beloved cow toy was tucked in under Aurora and Belle. We knew what she was going to say: “can I sleep in my Merida dress?” and before she could get to the end of the sentence Lionel and I had, in unison, said “Heh. Heh. NO.”

A quick word about stateroom attendants: we have been on many Disney cruises and had all levels of service from our dining team. And from guest services. And from the gift shop attendants. The one service area that has NEVER wavered for us has been our stateroom attendants. Always with a smile, always saying hello when you pass them in the hall (even if they have no idea who you are, because you’re schlepping across the entire length of the boat to get to the laundry room) and always GENUINE. Ana was no exception to this rule, and in fact she went above and beyond so many times during our journey that it truly felt like we were the only room she had been assigned. Now THAT is service. I half-joked to Lionel that we should make her an offer she couldn’t refuse and bring her home.

To top it off, Ana had also put the towel animal on Isabelle’s made-for-a-princess bed. Izzy immediately picked it up and its head fell off….I tried to balance it back on top, but it was never quite the same. Poor little towel bunny rabbit never even saw it coming…

We managed to wrestle Isabelle out of her dress and she passed out immediately. I assumed my nightly position in bed with the navigator in one hand and a highlighter in the other. We were all gleeful at that moment in time: Izzy dreaming of princess things, me planning away for our Tracy Arm day and Lionel lovingly caressing his giant rental lens. Tomorrow would hold great things – we all knew it.

Up next: seals! Glaciers! And the only time on the whole cruise I was close to being cold.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #149
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Thanks for the update. Your little princess sounds a lot like mine. However, mine was 8 when we heard Nooooooooooooooooo! when we suggested she go to the kids club!

Can't wait to see the photos from the beloved rental lens!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #150
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Great update! We are just back and the princess meet was one of be highlights of the trip.... Well, besides the line! I didn't have my stuff together todo a real trip report, but when I am home and not laying in a dark hotel room in Vancouver, I will have to do a mini report of the meet!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: