Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Magic Bands and FP+

Saw something on a resort thread about people choosing their coloured bands etc and it appears Disney have rolled out a bigger test period over August. I logged on to the app and I can choose my magic band and FP+ just wanted to share with others as you maybe able to choose yours too.
Claire Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
anniedream
Mouseketeer

How exciting I also saw something about customising them. We are off in September so hopefully will be still trialling them.

Onewomanonedream.tumblr.com
anniedream is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Sounds exciting...! When will it be fully implemented, I wonder. We are going in November.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Bear View Post
Saw something on a resort thread about people choosing their coloured bands etc and it appears Disney have rolled out a bigger test period over August. I logged on to the app and I can choose my magic band and FP+ just wanted to share with others as you maybe able to choose yours too.
Where abouts in the app did you see this option?
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Please be careful before you go linking your reservations to the FP+ system. There is a hot thread been going for some time on the Theme Parks Board and it appears, according to Disney's official information, that ONLY those who are emailed an invitation to trial this during the testing period are 'eligible' so there is some concern that people may be linking their reservations to the new MDE system, but won't actually be part of the trial. I have NO idea what the actual status is at the moment but it seems clear from all reports that once you link your reservation (I'm assuming that these are ones that are officially linked through the trial or those who link their AP's) there is no opt out. That's all very well if you are happy with what you are getting but just be aware that you are limited to three FP's per person, per day in one park only and you cannot make use of 'regular' FP's as we know them once you opt into FP+

This may work extremely well for some, but not for others. Anyone who was previously a FP hoarder or really utilized the FP benefits in the past may find this very restrictive.

Go for it if you think it will enhance your experience, but please just be informed before you sign up to it because it seems clear that once you're in, there is no changing your mind
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestevied View Post

Where abouts in the app did you see this option?
It's just on the app, scroll the screen to the right and there's a list of options, one of them is magic bands.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Please be careful before you go linking your reservations to the FP+ system. There is a hot thread been going for some time on the Theme Parks Board and it appears, according to Disney's official information, that ONLY those who are emailed an invitation to trial this during the testing period are 'eligible' so there is some concern that people may be linking their reservations to the new MDE system, but won't actually be part of the trial. I have NO idea what the actual status is at the moment but it seems clear from all reports that once you link your reservation (I'm assuming that these are ones that are officially linked through the trial or those who link their AP's) there is no opt out. That's all very well if you are happy with what you are getting but just be aware that you are limited to three FP's per person, per day in one park only and you cannot make use of 'regular' FP's as we know them once you opt into FP+

This may work extremely well for some, but not for others. Anyone who was previously a FP hoarder or really utilized the FP benefits in the past may find this very restrictive.

Go for it if you think it will enhance your experience, but please just be informed before you sign up to it because it seems clear that once you're in, there is no changing your mind
Thank you for posting this. I haven't done anything yet as I had a few questions I wanted answered. It says I have 2 days to order my magic bands if it is true. I'm not so keen on the whole FP+ I haven't been for 8 years and wouldn't have a clue where to start in regards to which ride I want to ride when this far in advance. I was wondering if it will let you have the band but get regular FP's if you don't register for any FP+'s but still use other magic band advantages but I guess the answer is no!

Thank you for your post
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's just on the app, scroll the screen to the right and there's a list of options, one of them is magic bands.
Weird, I just don't see it on my app
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
yup - i logged onto my app on my iphone and was shocked to see that they were about to ship magicbands to my billing address - in the US!!
where i don't live and where i won't be before my trip!
really...this could be true of anyone...even if i did live there, i might have already left for my trip when they shipped it (what if disney is the last portion of a multi week trip?)

why didn't they TELL me that they were going to ship them?????
i never ever look at the app....i just happened into it out of curiosity yesterday to see if my reservations were listed there..

and that's when i saw the magic bands were just about to be sent..
i called them up and gave them a piece of my mind..
why didn't they SAY something on the phone when i made the reservation?
or if this was a random selection, why didn't they send me an email notification??????????????

hopefully, they've stopped the shipment (supposedly, she changed the address to my resort and they'll find me there - or else i'll just get the plain gray ones, instead of the cute colours)..

and now i'm not sure whether to link my tickets or not...

i'm worried that they'll screw that up too, and then i won't have any tickets..

and by the way, be careful about linking your tickets and using fastpass+..
you won't be able to use the regular fastpass machines if you do..
when you're at the park, you'll have to use your app to make fastpass reservations (not the machines at the rides)..
there is an FAQ explaining that...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:

yes yes - i just saw your post...this is exactly right..
when i noticed the magic bands on my app, i first called the idiots to stop the shipment (get them sent to the resort instead - we shall see if they actually arrive)...
then i went into the app to start reading up on fastpass+
it turns out you have to link your tickets to the system...
i don't even know if that's possible with my 14 day ultimates, but i'm very leery about linking them..
because once you link them, the paper tickets are worthless and the only ticket you have is in that magic band (that is being shipped to who knows where)...
so i didn't link my tickets..
and then i went into the fastpass+ FAQ and was shocked to read that once you opt for the FP+ you're not permitted to use the regular FP system..
you can go into your app when you're in the parks to make changes and reservations, but you can't use the machines themselves..

i was interested in possibly using FP+ more for the entertainment reservations than for regular FP, but i'm not going to take a chance..

by the way, does anyone know which entertainment falls under FP+?

Quote:
Thank you for posting this. I haven't done anything yet as I had a few questions I wanted answered. It says I have 2 days to order my magic bands if it is true. I'm not so keen on the whole FP+ I haven't been for 8 years and wouldn't have a clue where to start in regards to which ride I want to ride when this far in advance. I was wondering if it will let you have the band but get regular FP's if you don't register for any FP+'s but still use other magic band advantages but I guess the answer is no!

Thank you for your post
you can still get them sent to you...
even without opting for FP+ or linking your tickets..
i haven't linked my tickets and i haven't opted for FP+, but i have picked out the colours and picked the nicknames for each band ...but it remains to be seen whether they'll actually be shipped to the resort as i requested...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
y
i haven't linked my tickets and i haven't opted for FP+, but i have picked out the colours and picked the nicknames for each band ...but it remains to be seen whether they'll actually be shipped to the resort as i requested...
You were supposed to have been able to choose whether to have them shipped or sent to the resort.

I think what is happening is during the testing phase, as they work on the site, they are intermittently 'opening' up the new system while they test it, although it is nowhere near fully functional yet, and it's more of a glitch that some people can randomly see the option to link to FP+ while others can't.

I don't have the app because I have a Blackberry so I can't see what's going on in there. I could install it on an iPod I suppose

When the system is fully rolled out, general understanding of the situation is that the paper FP system as we know it won't exist anymore. This is going to be interesting, to say the least. As former FastPass hoarders who would easily accumulate 10 or more in a morning while riding standby, the enforced return window was a pain last year. But now knowing you have a maximum of 3 (and all 3 can't be headliners) it's not looking too pleasing to me at all!

I know that preferred viewing for some of the fireworks and parades form part of the entertainment FPs and I imagine you would only be allowed to choose a max of one per day for that. As for the other 2 (well at this stage they are sticking to 3 per day) it seems certain that you won't be allowed to use them for 2 of the most popular rides, say Test Track and Soarin or ToT and RnR, etc
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
You were supposed to have been able to choose whether to have them shipped or sent to the resort.

I think what is happening is during the testing phase, as they work on the site, they are intermittently 'opening' up the new system while they test it, although it is nowhere near fully functional yet, and it's more of a glitch that some people can randomly see the option to link to FP+ while others can't.

I don't have the app because I have a Blackberry so I can't see what's going on in there. I could install it on an iPod I suppose

When the system is fully rolled out, general understanding of the situation is that the paper FP system as we know it won't exist anymore. This is going to be interesting, to say the least. As former FastPass hoarders who would easily accumulate 10 or more in a morning while riding standby, the enforced return window was a pain last year. But now knowing you have a maximum of 3 (and all 3 can't be headliners) it's not looking too pleasing to me at all!

I know that preferred viewing for some of the fireworks and parades form part of the entertainment FPs and I imagine you would only be allowed to choose a max of one per day for that. As for the other 2 (well at this stage they are sticking to 3 per day) it seems certain that you won't be allowed to use them for 2 of the most popular rides, say Test Track and Soarin or ToT and RnR, etc
when i called the disney support number (that's in the app), the woman said "oh i doubt you actually have magic bands"..
and then when she went into my account she said, "oh, you're part of the august test"...
and then she said that as soon as she changed the shipping address i could go in and start picking my FP times..
what she didn't realise is that i haven't linked my tickets yet, only my resort reservations...
so without linked tickets you can't reserve FPs...

i think one of the biggest drawbacks is not being able to park hop..
you can't get FPs in more than one park on any day..
of course, you can hop, but you can't get FPs in more than one park...

and yes, we were massive hoarders too....
and i'll admit that we would use our FPs across days, not even on the same day....(the only ride we couldn't do that at was soaring - everywhere else didn't bother to look at the date)...
so when they began enforcing the times, it was a big change for us...

and my other big fear is being held hostage while they're having technical glitches...
we're only there for 5 days....i do not want to be stuck sorting out the computer nonsense for even five minutes of those five days...
Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:

I've been reading a very long thread on theme park board about the FP+ (don't know if it's the one you're referring to Lee) but honestly the more I'm reading the more I'm being put off going ......I know impossible I hear you say Whilst we're not FP hoarders just the thought of not being able to decide at the bus stop which park we're going to, having to use a phone to obtain additional FP+, only being able to get 3 or 4 FP+ per day, not being able to get them in multiple parks, not being able to get them all on headline rides ..... the list is endless and it all just fills me with dread.

As much as it kills me to say it I'm actually quite happy we're not going till Oct 2014 as this give us the chance to read lots about other DISers experiences using the system so hopefully when the time rolls round for us to make our FP+ choices we've got more of an idea of how to "work" the system and if push comes to shove and we're really not happy about how things are working we've only paid a deposit so I guess we have the choice to cancel and go somewhere else
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
thestevied
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneynutinlondon View Post

I've been reading a very long thread on theme park board about the FP+ (don't know if it's the one you're referring to Lee) but honestly the more I'm reading the more I'm being put off going ......I know impossible I hear you say Whilst we're not FP hoarders just the thought of not being able to decide at the bus stop which park we're going to, having to use a phone to obtain additional FP+, only being able to get 3 or 4 FP+ per day, not being able to get them in multiple parks, not being able to get them all on headline rides ..... the list is endless and it all just fills me with dread.

As much as it kills me to say it I'm actually quite happy we're not going till Oct 2014 as this give us the chance to read lots about other DISers experiences using the system so hopefully when the time rolls round for us to make our FP+ choices we've got more of an idea of how to "work" the system and if push comes to shove and we're really not happy about how things are working we've only paid a deposit so I guess we have the choice to cancel and go somewhere else
I'd give yourselves one chance to go and decide based on first hand experience if its for you or not. We're a touch concerned but it won't stop me going. I'll still be able to enjoy the parks whatever happens. (I hope...)

Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post

yes yes - i just saw your post...this is exactly right..
when i noticed the magic bands on my app, i first called the idiots to stop the shipment (get them sent to the resort instead - we shall see if they actually arrive)...
then i went into the app to start reading up on fastpass+
it turns out you have to link your tickets to the system...
i don't even know if that's possible with my 14 day ultimates, but i'm very leery about linking them..
because once you link them, the paper tickets are worthless and the only ticket you have is in that magic band (that is being shipped to who knows where)...
so i didn't link my tickets..
and then i went into the fastpass+ FAQ and was shocked to read that once you opt for the FP+ you're not permitted to use the regular FP system..
you can go into your app when you're in the parks to make changes and reservations, but you can't use the machines themselves..

i was interested in possibly using FP+ more for the entertainment reservations than for regular FP, but i'm not going to take a chance..

by the way, does anyone know which entertainment falls under FP+?

you can still get them sent to you...
even without opting for FP+ or linking your tickets..
Thank you, I don't know if my tickets will already be linked on my app because I booked it all through Disney directly to get free dining. Doesn't appear to show my tickets but I'm confused!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: