Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

I'm sorry you were lied to as that is so not cool. However, Disney is handling this refurb the same way they handle the closing of say the Poly pool. When the Volcano pool is closed for a refurb, they make arrangements for guests to use the pool at the GF and provide transportation. Same thing when the BW closes the clown pool for a refurb, the offer guests the use of SAB. I have never known Disney to offer guests to be moved because of a refurb.
I think you might want to look back at how guests were treated back in the early to mid 2000s or earlier then. I'm sorry you've become accustomed to the service provided today and feel it's acceptable.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
I think you might want to look back at how guests were treated back in the early to mid 2000s or earlier then. I'm sorry you've become accustomed to the service provided today and feel it's acceptable.
Actually you have it backwards. Disney has come leaps and bounds with how they treat resort guests when they have something down for refurb. I know firsthand that a few years ago they wouldn't even have mentioned something being closed at the resort. They would have let you show up, and said sorry, it is what it is. And offered no accommodation at all.

So no, I don't think Disney needs to go above notifying guests of the closure, offering accommodations (a grab and go area and a bus to a resort that is less than a 7 minute walk away) and giving you the chance to switch resorts.

As far as being lied to, are you sure? The CMs over the phone are known for being mis-informed. It could very well be you had a CM that didn't have a clue what was going on.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OR your expectations are unreasonable in this particular situation.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(

No, that was NOT how we guests were treated in the past as far as refurbs.

And yes, I was deliberately lied to. The rep mentioned that there was some construction going on, so yes I immediately got concerned and asked her "oh, is it something major?" sounding hesitant. She then said, "no, it's not something that would affect your stay."

I think this is the end of the thread for me, since some people on here are bound and determined to defend Disney in the face of anything they do.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
maxiesmom

Quote:
Actually it is. One trip there was a refurb going on the at the resort I had booked. We were not notified ahead of time. We were not notified once we were there. It was a surprise! So we were not even given the choice of moving resorts ahead of our stay, let alone offered up a bus to another resort.

Disney has made accommodations for the food court being closed. They will have a grab and go food area set up. They will bus you to the next resort, which will be all of a 1 minute bus ride. Those are both decent accommodations. It is up to you to take them or switch resorts. They will not offer you a discount to move.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
Yeah, you need to add a little qualifier when abbreviating the All-Star resorts.

ASSp
ASMu
ASMo
Oh, my. So sorry about that.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
shyjade
DIS Veteran

My sister's family stayed at the Poly a few years ago (on my suggestion) and arrived to find the pool closed for refurb. I can't imagine spending $400+/night and upon arriving finding out there was no pool, but they didn't seem to mind. They were allowed to use the GF pool and LOVED it!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And yes, I was deliberately lied to. The rep mentioned that there was some construction going on, so yes I immediately got concerned and asked her "oh, is it something major?" sounding hesitant. She then said, "no, it's not something that would affect your stay."

I think this is the end of the thread for me, since some people on here are bound and determined to defend Disney in the face of anything they do.
And I can say is wow
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Actually you have it backwards. Disney has come leaps and bounds with how they treat resort guests when they have something down for refurb. I know firsthand that a few years ago they wouldn't even have mentioned something being closed at the resort. They would have let you show up, and said sorry, it is what it is. And offered no accommodation at all.

So no, I don't think Disney needs to go above notifying guests of the closure, offering accommodations (a grab and go area and a bus to a resort that is less than a 7 minute walk away) and giving you the chance to switch resorts.

As far as being lied to, are you sure? The CMs over the phone are known for being mis-informed. It could very well be you had a CM that didn't have a clue what was going on.
Well I'm happy that Disney at least contacted us (and others) about the food court and arcade closure. I do believe that we should, as customers, do our due diligence and change resorts if this type of closer is unacceptable. This is more difficult for our situation because we are traveling with 2 other families that are OK with the closer, or at least think they are OK. My wife and I would rather pull out and get into another Resort until we think about the deal we got and the rooms are just redone so..... we're staying.

When Disney was smaller (maybe 25 to 30 years ago) I don't think you would get miss communication on this type of thing. It's just that Disney is so huge no one could know everything. I'm happy to hear that it seams Disney has made communication improvements within the last few years. But, still, there is a big difference between now and a few decades ago. Pros are you get more in the World, negatives are communication breakdown.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrot1 View Post
Well I'm happy that Disney at least contacted us (and others) about the food court and arcade closure.
Which is a somewhat recent concept. Our last 5 trips have been refurb free but during 4 out of 6 trips prior to that, our resort had the feature pool closed for a refurb. Guess that's what we got for going during a slower period. We were never notified of any of them prior to our arrival. In fact, twice we didn't even find out until we walked to the pool all ready to go swimming.

Now that I think about it, for 2 trips with my parents back in the late 80's we had the feature pool closed with no notice.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Just sayin', I got a letter from Disney stating the food court closure. The letter was received less than 30 days from vacation stay, but I got one. I'm hoping the resort will be quiet.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR GSC

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
jillianml
Mouseketeer

Food court closure

I feel like in this situation Disney should definitely notify its guests ahead of time before checking in! That food court is a huge factor in what you are paying for!Especially if you paid for a preferred room to be close to the food court!Seriously who wants to have to take a bus to another resort just to eat very inconvenient and rude on part of Disney!I totally agree with the writer of this post that Disney should be responsible for relocating its guests if they cant provide what is suppose to be provided!Dont get me wrong I love Disney.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianml View Post
I feel like in this situation Disney should definitely notify its guests ahead of time before checking in! That food court is a huge factor in what you are paying for!Especially if you paid for a preferred room to be close to the food court!Seriously who wants to have to take a bus to another resort just to eat very inconvenient and rude on part of Disney!I totally agree with the writer of this post that Disney should be responsible for relocating its guests if they cant provide what is suppose to be provided!Dont get me wrong I love Disney.
The bus ride to the next resort over will be all of 1 minute long. Honestly. The resorts share a parking lot. As a guest if you don't like that accommodation you are free to relocate yourself. What they won't do is offer you a discount to relocate yourself.

This is the Disney version of NIMBY. NDMDY Not During My Disney Vacation. People want public areas upgraded and clean, yet they don't want Disney to do any refurbs during THEIR vacation. Keep the areas sparkling, but don't fix any big issues during MY vacation. I don't want to be inconvenienced.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianml View Post
I definitely understand checking in to find out they are doing construction happen years ago when staying at ASMo. We requested Fantasia and they were redoing the pool. They were running backhoes and the beeping when in reverse had us begging for another bldg.

Beginning of May we made ressies. I booked online and my DD27 booked hers over the phone. She was told right away about the food court being closed. They even offered to let her switch me to Music when she chose Music instead. Now we are considering moving back to Sports. Less crowded. I really prefer bldg 10 ground floor over a food court. Plus we aren't on DP so let someone that has it to use our rooms.

Back in May after I found out about the refurb I came on here and there were threads reporting it. So the info was available.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #30
jillianml
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
The bus ride to the next resort over will be all of 1 minute long. Honestly. The resorts share a parking lot. As a guest if you don't like that accommodation you are free to relocate yourself. What they won't do is offer you a discount to relocate yourself.

This is the Disney version of NIMBY. NDMDY Not During My Disney Vacation. People want public areas upgraded and clean, yet they don't want Disney to do any refurbs during THEIR vacation. Keep the areas sparkling, but don't fix any big issues during MY vacation. I don't want to be inconvenienced.
All I am saying is I want the opportunity to choose before I arrive at the resort and can make an informed decision ahead of time. It sounds like people were notified before arrival so awesome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: