Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #3331
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Chest of drawers are usually in end rooms.

When we stayed CL last year, we requested a chest.
I was in a room smack in the middle of the hall.. It was also connecting

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #3332
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmommy72 View Post
I didn't know either, but I noticed it said a standard had either 2 queens or 1 queen and 1 bunk bed, or 1 king on the website, so I asked when I called to change, and the CM said yes, which would you like to request?
I noticed that too & considered making that request but my boys are 16 & 13 and really don't do well sharing a bed. It's worth the extra to me to not hear them bicker each night so I booked a bunk bed room.
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #3333
Mayhem1976
Mouseketeer

I realized I was looking at the old site (bookwdw) and for that it doesn't say bunk ned for standard, so I wonder if that's new!

CSR 2002, CBR 2009, BC 2012, AKL 2013
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3334
Kimmy2Disney
Can't wait to be back in the world!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post

Chest of drawers are usually in end rooms.

When we stayed CL last year, we requested a chest.
Yea, we are in the middle of a hall on zebra trail, but right next to a set of windows that is looking out to the pool, so that's kinda an end room!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #3335
Ckmommy72
Mouseketeer

Hi all!

This is our first time at AKL, and I know almost nothing about the resort...I'm reading and learning .

We have a standard room booked. Does that mean that most likely we'll be closer to the "center" of the building...i.e. lobby and restaurants? I'd like to be close to Mara if possible. With that in mind, should I just request close to lobby? Is it possible to request close to food court?

In addition to Mara, are there any other places to refill the mugs? Drink stations by the pool? DH and I like our coffee!!

DH Michael DS C (13) DD K (9)

March 2006 - Off Site
January 2012 - POR
January 2013 - ASMo
September 2013 - AKL (MNSSHP & F&W)
October 2014 - ASMu (14th anniversary trip)
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #3336
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

We go to WDW a lot but we've never stayed at AKL. As a matter of fact we had never even entered the AKL for a meal or a visit until about 2 trips ago. Should have known we were getting "the bug" after the first visit when we booked dining at the lodge for both trips after that and snuck over just for The Mara on two occasions.

We are booked for September, but currently we have a spit stay. Starting the trip at CSR and ending up at AKL. I think the more we all toss this around we are leaning toward an AKL only stay. For you AKL veterans...If we are so enthralled with the lodge we need to just book the entire week there right??? I keep asking myself what does CSR have to offer that AKL doesn't and I can't come up with anything... Will I regret spending a couple hundred dollars more? I'm thinking not...

Just back from a fabulous 8 days!
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #3337
tarak
DIS Veteran

JessiMommy - I can only relate our experience. The first trip we took to WDW as a family, we stayed at the Poly. When my husband was a kid, they either stayed there or at the Contemporary. That trip to the Poly was wonderful. The next trip as a family, I decided to try the WL. Not because I didn't like the Poly. Just wanted to try something else. That, I think, was the trip that killed the dining plan for me. Too many sit down meals and a need to have the day scheduled around eating. It's just not the way we like to spend time at Disney.

The next trip was our first at AKL. I'd been there with my mom before and just fell in love. We had to book two rooms because we had a party of eight that week. My husband had never been there before. He can only handle Disney every few years. That vacation, he said any time we wanted to go there, he was okay with it. I stayed a few extra days with my daughters and we moved to the Poly. We had a theme park view room and watched the fireworks from our patio. And it was just okay. I don't know if we were just all tired, or if it was a come down from AKL. Probably both. The Poly is beautiful, no question. But I think AKL is just home to us. More relaxing. The food options are better for us - we tend to prefer stuff that's more exotic, especially on vacation. We don't need to be in the thick of things. Our next trip, our youngest will be four, so we'll be a party of six. At that point, we'd most likely rent points for a 2BR at Kidani. A deluxe room at BWI is cheaper if we get a room only discount. I honestly don't think I'll be able to talk my husband into BWI. Maybe, just maybe, a split stay with the first few days at BWI to tour Epcot and HS. But the end of the vacation would have to be spent at AKL.

Not sure if that helps. I'd spend some time in the CSR thread if you haven't already. Read what other people love about it. Is it particularly close to any of the parks? Are there resort activities that appeal to you? I haven't been there before, so I can't help with that. I can speak to the buses at AKL. Aside from issues going to and from DTD (which I think is a problem with all of the resorts), I've found the buses to be fine. The pool at Kidani can't be beat (disclaimer - have never stayed at the YC/BC). There are a ton of activities you can't do at other resorts (night vision goggles to see the animals is the first that comes to mind).

I can make our ADRs in a week. My only plans are a lunch at Sanaa and breakfast at Tusker House. I haven't made ADRs for quite a while. But I think two for our seven-day trip is doable. I also want to reserve the boat cruise for illuminations.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #3338
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmommy72 View Post
Hi all!

This is our first time at AKL, and I know almost nothing about the resort...I'm reading and learning .

We have a standard room booked. Does that mean that most likely we'll be closer to the "center" of the building...i.e. lobby and restaurants? I'd like to be close to Mara if possible. With that in mind, should I just request close to lobby? Is it possible to request close to food court?

In addition to Mara, are there any other places to refill the mugs? Drink stations by the pool? DH and I like our coffee!!
Jambo!!! (I think that is Hello)

Standard rooms, except for a slight exception) is located in the Giraffe or Ostrich trail..to the left and right of the lobby entrance. I prefer Giraffe as it is very close to the pool/Mara and lobby (I like "Lobby level as I hate elevators). My room (3010) was a pool view and I looked at the Jiko/Mara sidewalk so 3011 would be an area that you may like. I have actually asked them to put "near room XXXX" on my reservation and gotten exactly what I wanted.

Giraffe is close to Mara and that is the oly place to refill mugs..it is adjacent to the pool area so perfect for you!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #3339
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post
We go to WDW a lot but we've never stayed at AKL. As a matter of fact we had never even entered the AKL for a meal or a visit until about 2 trips ago. Should have known we were getting "the bug" after the first visit when we booked dining at the lodge for both trips after that and snuck over just for The Mara on two occasions.

We are booked for September, but currently we have a spit stay. Starting the trip at CSR and ending up at AKL. I think the more we all toss this around we are leaning toward an AKL only stay. For you AKL veterans...If we are so enthralled with the lodge we need to just book the entire week there right??? I keep asking myself what does CSR have to offer that AKL doesn't and I can't come up with anything... Will I regret spending a couple hundred dollars more? I'm thinking not...
I have stayed at both and while CSR was good for my "needs" (ie cheap, quick trip) AKL is like a vacation itself. My friend drove over from the Tampa area one day and we walked around and looked at the art, animals and just enjoyed the pool area for the day.

CSR was spread out and I really like being able to spend time in the lobby if it is rainy or too hot. Can't really do that so easily in a mod!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #3340
Ckmommy72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
Jambo!!! (I think that is Hello)

Standard rooms, except for a slight exception) is located in the Giraffe or Ostrich trail..to the left and right of the lobby entrance. I prefer Giraffe as it is very close to the pool/Mara and lobby (I like "Lobby level as I hate elevators). My room (3010) was a pool view and I looked at the Jiko/Mara sidewalk so 3011 would be an area that you may like. I have actually asked them to put "near room XXXX" on my reservation and gotten exactly what I wanted.

Giraffe is close to Mara and that is the oly place to refill mugs..it is adjacent to the pool area so perfect for you!
Jambo to you!!

Thanks for your response. I will definitely request Giraffe trail, as it sounds like it's close to it all.

DH Michael DS C (13) DD K (9)

March 2006 - Off Site
January 2012 - POR
January 2013 - ASMo
September 2013 - AKL (MNSSHP & F&W)
October 2014 - ASMu (14th anniversary trip)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #3341
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Hi There! We stayed Jambo Studio this past February and you all were so helpful! I am thinking about doing AKV again for the end of Easter week in 2016 (I know, crazy far away). I was thinking about going for a 1 bedroom Savannah view. How hard are those to get at 7 months out? I am planning 3 trips in the year and want to know if I could allocate those points out and then know how many points I have to work with for the 2 trips before hand. Does that make sense? I am new to this DVC thing so I am trying to figure out how to juggle the points and spread them over trips.

I know the points could change a bit but I am just going on what they are now. When the new point charts come out I will adjust all 3 trips accordingly based on what I think I can get. I am going to drive myself nuts, aren't I?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #3342
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post

I'm certainly not an expert but I will tell you that we stayed at AKV last September for the first time and loved it. It was such a great resort we wished we had a few extra days to just hang out instead of doing the parks, especially since our kids were having so much fun there. That being said we are heading back this November and were set to stay at BLT for the week (our first time staying there) BUT we loved AKV so much that we decided on a split stay I have never stayed at CSR so I can't help much, but I think you couldn't go wrong staying at AKL for your whole trip

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #3343
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
Hi There! We stayed Jambo Studio this past February and you all were so helpful! I am thinking about doing AKV again for the end of Easter week in 2016 (I know, crazy far away). I was thinking about going for a 1 bedroom Savannah view. How hard are those to get at 7 months out? I am planning 3 trips in the year and want to know if I could allocate those points out and then know how many points I have to work with for the 2 trips before hand. Does that make sense? I am new to this DVC thing so I am trying to figure out how to juggle the points and spread them over trips.

I know the points could change a bit but I am just going on what they are now. When the new point charts come out I will adjust all 3 trips accordingly based on what I think I can get. I am going to drive myself nuts, aren't I?
I've booked the 1BR savannah view twice renting DVC points. First time was last August for a January stay - so we were really only about five months out and didn't have trouble. This year, I booked as soon as the seven month window opened. But I don't think I needed to. It likely depends on when you're planning to go. I don't know how fast Easter books up.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #3344
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarak View Post
I've booked the 1BR savannah view twice renting DVC points. First time was last August for a January stay - so we were really only about five months out and didn't have trouble. This year, I booked as soon as the seven month window opened. But I don't think I needed to. It likely depends on when you're planning to go. I don't know how fast Easter books up.
Thanks! I am thinking it will be pretty easy, but you never know! DVC tends to go the opposite of how I think, but I am slowly starting to figure it out

Is 1 bedroom Savannah view in both Jambo and Kidani? Wait, does Kidani have 2 bathrooms in a one bedroom? I think I saw that somewhere...

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #3345
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
Thanks! I am thinking it will be pretty easy, but you never know! DVC tends to go the opposite of how I think, but I am slowly starting to figure it out

Is 1 bedroom Savannah view in both Jambo and Kidani? Wait, does Kidani have 2 bathrooms in a one bedroom? I think I saw that somewhere...
Both Jambo & Kidani have 1-bedroom Savannah view villas. Kidani does have 2 full bathrooms in their 1-bedroom - the units at Kidani were built specifically for DVC whereas Jambo villas were retrofitted. They did a great job with what they had to work with at Jambo, but the Kidani rooms are superior.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: