Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I'm joining this thread and hoping that my computer won't self destruct at the end of the TR.
That’s a promise I not entirely certain that I can keep. But we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks for agreeing to take on this hazardous mission an feel free to speak you mind at any time in the process (there re several other followers that will certainly be doing a great deal of that).

Now to quote a fellow that nearly all of us here hold in high respect…

“To all who come to this happy place… welcome.”

Now it must be time that I told y’all a little bit more of the story.
What say?

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 07-16-2013 at 07:29 PM.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 1: The Backstory

So how did we start down this path of no return?

This path of betrayal…

this path of… of…

least resistance…

Well really it’s that last one that held the most sway, but before we get to that we need to back up a bit and see the events that led up to theses questionable actions (a luxury that most espionage stories will wait until the second or third book before divulging). We’ll start with the cast of players.

Introducing, the faces that go with the names listed down there in my signature.

The girl on the left there is that wonderful lady with the questionable sanity that I mentioned back in the opening shot of this dissertation. Tamara is the rock that keeps me from either floating off or sinking to unimaginable depths. Twenty-two years she’s been at the job and if you ask me she’s in need of a raise in salary. Lacking the wherewithal to accomplish that… I try to at least spoil her rotten when ever possible.

The guy in the middle is Max; our only young’en, a fairly talented musician, and sometimes a rather serious fell’a. Here let me illustrate the last bit there. Back when he was about four-ish age wise he asked me when he’d be “grown up”. My answer went along the lines of: Well, according to the law of the land you’ll be considered an adult when you turn eighteen, but you’ll actually be a “grown-up” once the most important thing in you life is not yourself. Max puzzled on this for just a moment and then with his head slightly hung and slowly shaking back and forth replied under his breath: “years and years and years…” Well he has finally met at least one of those requirements anyway and that fact (along with those “choir robes” he’s sporting are part of the reason for this trip but I’ll come back to that in a moment.

Using the “Theory of Least Astonishment”, the last guy on the right there should ought to be me. Sadly… this as a confirmation of that theory. That would most certainly be myself and if there were any way to make it so y’all could “un-see” that, I’d do so. With both technical and budgetary restraints preventing that possibility however, I’m afraid this is the image y’all are going to be stuck with for the time being.

OK, so who’s the other guy in that first “awesome” picture?

A good question… That’s Toncy…
a very unique fellow with a fairly unique name (a very old Scottish family name to be precise). He and Max have been good friends since about the second grade. Interestingly, his family had to move across town a good while back and although the two boys have been attending a completely different set of schools ever since, they’ve remained good friends and still frequently pal around. Toncy has also appeared in a number of our family expeditions including a prior trip to a place familiar to all of us…

And I’ll elaborate a bit more on that shortly as well.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
…what you really, really want

As I said a moment ago, our son has recently reached the age where he is legally considered to be an adult. As you might also suspect, he has also just recently graduated from high school. These two facts were what originally prompted us to offer him some type of potential once in a lifetime experience. There were several things that came to mind in our house that could fit this bill and some included travel and some even excluded our tagging along. All were discussed and not much that crossed his mind was completely ruled out at first, but the overall cost did have limits. Try as he might to think of something different, what he wanted… really, really wanted… was to go back here…

Well not “exactly” there… that happens to be in front of the gingerbread house that is set up annually in the lobby of the Grand Floridian. It wasn’t specifically the GF that he was on about; it was WDW in general. That picture just happens to date from the last time that we were actually able to venture inside a Disney park…

…December of 2010.
A trip you can read about in my first attempt at TR writing
(assuming you really, really want to)…

You’re writing a TR? Really?
(Christmas at POR, 2010)

Now we had been on property one other time since then.
In 2011 we first spent several days in the Caribbean aboard the Disney Dream…

and then followed that up with a couple more days spent at the WL…

A trip recounted in my other existing “Disney” TR
(Bonus Features and all )…

Experiment-627
(A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser)

…but in that instance we didn’t have enough extra bucks to swing any park tickets. So when it came to partaking of the magic and memories that those venues had to offer… well… lets just say: it’s been a while. And that… getting back into the parks… that was what Max really wanted to do. And he even wanted us there as well (which is good because we also really, really wanted to go back). But then he also wanted to have someone else his own age to share the experience with.

As you’ve already heard, this is something we had done before on occasion…

That’s from way back in early 2008
(just before the bottom fell out of everything)

So Max was hopping we could pull this off one more time. Like I said a bit ago, Toncy and Max have been good buds for a long while. And the big guy is a very fine kid. But he also comes from a family that just doesn’t have the resources to be doing a lot of extra traveling and certainly not to be partaking of something quite as extravagant as a trek down to Orlando any time soon. That fact is one of the reasons we have invited him along on several of our journeys including a junket up to Williamsburg and several hops over to the SC shore. With all this in mind, we looked at the wallet situation and decided that it was at least possible. We might not be able to travel for quite some time afterward, but there were a number of factors that would be making that true in either case, so the decision was made. We would be conducting a full on Disney invasion as a foursome.

Come to the Dark Side

Oh wait!
That’s already a Disney property.

How about if we looked at it from a more “universal” point of view…

The dark side indeed…
Here’s where that “least resistance” part of the story comes into play.

I’ve been to Universal studios twice but have not been back in a long time…

a long time…

Max has also seen it twice but not always with us in tow.
That first experience was all the way back in 2004 (also the last time I was there)…

(and I was actually sick as a dog that day, but that’s a different story)

The second appearance was via a junior high band trip (without us obviously). Toncy on the other hand had not been and that was another of the factors that would lead us down this path. Additionally there was the fact that we were traveling with two… not just one, but two… eighteen-year old ummmm… “boys”. While both of them love the Disney emersion… they also like the slightly more high action… in your face… pin you back in the seat type of rides that are prevalent at slightly different types of “amusement parks”. The kind of thing that the folks at “Universal” use to hang warning signs on stating that you were about to board a “Dynamically Aggressive” ride experience (I’ve been fond of that odd phrase ever since). Anyway, this collection of circumstances led my much better half to start doing some research. The result of that work led us to discover a pretty good deal on a couple days worth of Universal Studios’ version of a “Park Hopper”.

It was as simple as that…

we were turned by nothing more then a child’s whim and a good deal.

Such a low price to set for one’s “Disney Sole”.

Logistics

Part of the way that we had planed to make this trip fiscally feasible (and thus make our treasonous act possible), was to stay off-site. That’s something else we’d not done since before Max was born. We found a place just to the southwest of Walt’s Wonderland and even researched the best covert route into and out of The World from that point…

The infamous “Sherberth” escape route…

Well, we didn’t want to be noticed by the “regulars” every time we were making our way to or form the “bad-lands”, now did we?

But then the folks at Disney must have sensed a disturbance in the Force because they unleashed one of their more dreaded weapons…

No… no that one…

I’m mean the one that looks more like this…

We’er talking “pin number” here.

Now with much sorrow and sadness, I’ve had to toss out several of these little jewels since we returned from our grand Caribbean cruse. This time however, we had to stop and consider the implications. What they were offering included possible room-only discounts of up to 30% at one of the moderates (which now put them in our reach). Then you can add in the additional perks that come with staying on site. We’d have less space and with four adults (two of them now also being “growed men” that really didn’t want to be sharing a bed… queen size or otherwise) that space thing was fairly important. But once we’d crunched the numbers it was determined that for fairly minor difference, we could “Plus the Experience” (as Walt use to say) and camp out at a Moderate Resort for the entire week we’d planned to be there. We discussed it with the boys and quickly arrived at an amicable solution to the space problem. From there it was just a mater of canceling one reservation, and booking another (which with a Disney Visa in hand also came with extra points and six month no-interest to pay off the balance).

That works for me.

Next stop, this place…

And I’ll obviously be talking a good deal more about that later on in the proceedings.

Crossing the Rubicon

There are those moments when every thing changes…

where a die is cast…

That point at which the action taken cannot be undone and the consequences can neither be avoided nor altered. Here is one of those times…

But unlike Creaser’s crossing, this “crossing” was a joyous occasion and marked the beginning of new adventures to come. As a member of the music department, Max had already been through three graduation ceremonies prior to this. He was just sitting up front and off to the side with rest of the band talking care of the required live musical needs of the occasion. This time, it was his fellow underclassmen pulling that duty and he was now amongst that sea of black robes and scarlet hoods…

Nice shot of the back of the back of his head there, eh?
At least he knows that the cover comes off when the colors are presented.

A few speeches and 70% of the alphabet later and our young’en strode confidently away from the stage. In his left hand; that all important embossed black book and its notarized parchment contents which signified that it was now time for him to go out and get a job (or continue on with his schooling as the case may be).

Ok… I wont accost y’all any farther with that little bit of our family story, but it was the last major event that needed to occur before we could get this part of the story under way. Just two week later we were loading everyone and everything that would be bound for Florida into the car.

As it turns out I had to work that Friday before the beginning of our trip (just couldn’t get out of it). However, we also wanted to get to Disney as early as possible. Early enough to be able to enjoy a bit of park time and maybe some other side adventure as well. From our home it’s an eight-hour drive at best to the Happiest Place on Earth (and flying wasn’t an option). That timing would have us getting in pretty late in the day if we were to leave that Saturday morning. To cut the drive down a might we left right after I got home from work on the day before with the intention of knocking out better then half that distance up front.

And so away we went…

First stop… a Red-Box so that the boys could rent a couple of DVDs for the tip down. After that, it was a chance to finally make a left hand turn onto the interstate headed toward Disney.

“Alea iacta est”

That image is actually from a prior TR and since I’ve discussed the “wondrous and fascinating” drive via the US interstates of the southeast coast in that little missive, there’s no sense in inflicting it upon you again here. But if you feel some need to flog yourself for some unnamed prior transgression… well, then you probably need some serious therapy…

but I’ll oblige you with a link to it anyway…

Experiment-627 - Chapter-3/Part-2: Interstate Blues

As we were getting under way, the local traffic report informed us that there was trouble brewing ahead. So we figured we’d go ahead and make an early dinner stop to give things some time to clear up. That meant it was time to patronize one of the Southeast’s finer burger chains…

Now that’s a mighty good sloppy burger right there.

If you’ve never tried “5 Guys”… you need to. If there just aren’t any handy to you then hunt one down the next time you’re headed toward Fla (there’s actually one on International Dr. right near that “other” amusement park that shall remain nameless… for now).

After dinner it was back on the highway with our fingers crossed that all was well by now. Once I passed exit-77 it became quickly apparent that this was not the case. To make matters worse the only viable escape route was now in my rearview mirror. Earlier in the day a truck had run off the road up the way a bit and it took the local “CSI” folks all day to inspect the site. This meant that the clean up effort didn’t start until rush hour had set in. On top of that we were in a spot of the highway that was squeezing down from four lanes to two and then encountering the wreck site. It would have been forty miles out of my way to go around and I should’a done it, but nooooo…
I had to pass the last exit and take my chances.

An “ID-10-T Error” of historic proportion, that was.

When we finally got past the problem the boys had actually finished watching their first movie. This put us way behind schedule to say the least. As such it was mightily late when we finally got to our intended stopover spot…

…an Embassy Suites near the GA/FL boarder. It had been an arduous drive, but the room was nicely done and there was plenty of space for us to all spread out a bit and get some much needed sack time. Tomorrow we’d once again be walking on ”hallowed” ground, but for now, shut-eye was the prescription for what ailed us.

Well, what ailed me at least.

Next up: The Port, the Castle and the Quest…

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 07-14-2013 at 10:39 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great update!! My DH would have drove the eight hours, he would say no need to stop. Once on the road he just barely stops for rest rooms, never mind food. Love Five Guys food, and yes sloppy bit good.

Goofy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Well, they offered me a job, and I said yes, and now here I am 15 years later...

Quote:
Twenty-two years she’s been at the job and if you ask me she’s in need of a raise in salary. Lacking the wherewithal to accomplish that… I try to at least spoil her rotten when ever possible.
I know that feeling well.

Quote:
Well, according to the law of the land you’ll be considered an adult when you turn eighteen, but you’ll actually be a “grown-up” once the most important thing in you life is not yourself.
Very well said.

Quote:
Max puzzled on this for just a moment and then with his head slightly hung and slowly shaking back and forth replied under his breath: “years and years and years…”

Quote:
Try as he might to think of something different, what he wanted… really, really wanted… was to go back here…
Well, yeah. That makes sense.

Quote:
How about if we looked at it from a more “universal” point of view…

Quote:
The kind of thing that the folks at “Universal” use to hang warning signs on stating that you were about to board a “Dynamically Aggressive” ride experience (I’ve been fond of that odd phrase ever since).
That's a great phrase. You know a lawyer came up with that one. I mean, it had to be a lawyer.

Quote:
We’er talking “pin number” here.

I can never turn that down, either.

Quote:
Next stop, this place…

Excellent choice!

Quote:
There are those moments when every thing changes…

where a die is cast…

That point at which the action taken cannot be undone and the consequences can neither be avoided nor altered. Here is one of those times…
This is when you end up in the Dreaded Aisle at the Target.

Oh, and congratulations Max!

Quote:
Now that’s a mighty good sloppy burger right there.

If you’ve never tried “5 Guys”… you need to. If there just aren’t any handy to you then hunt one down the next time you’re headed toward Fla (there’s actually one on International Dr. right near that “other” amusement park that shall remain nameless… for now).
I think Five Guys got ruined for me. Everyone hyped it so much that by the time I tried it, I don't think there was any way it could meet expectations.

Quote:
Earlier in the day a truck had run off the road up the way a bit and it took the local “CSI” folks all day to inspect the site. This meant that the clean up effort didn’t start until rush hour had set in. On top of that we were in a spot of the highway that was squeezing down from four lanes to two and then encountering the wreck site. It would have been forty miles out of my way to go around and I should’a done it, but nooooo…
Ugh. Did you at least wave at Fed?
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
angelabrezovsky
Mouseketeer

Joking in and I can't wait to read more! I love reading tr's it gets me ready for my trip

JUNE 2010- POFQ

NOVEMBER 2013- ALL STAR MUSIC

MAY 2015- AOA LITTLE MERMAID
angelabrezovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Rob, an awesome update, and I can't believe you kept that a secret from us (or I totally missed the signs in your other TR).

I'm so happy you were able to do this...I know how much you had been missing it.

And glad some pixie dust came along and you were able to stay on property.

Can't wait to hear more.

****And congratulations on your son's high school graduation. I wish him the best on the next path of his life.

Last edited by KatMark; 07-16-2013 at 08:19 PM.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!

I generally try to take entirely too many pictures.
That way I might just come up with one or two that aren’t just a blurry mess.

Introductions are also a good place to use pictures from prior trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Great update!! My DH would have drove the eight hours, he would say no need to stop. Once on the road he just barely stops for rest rooms, never mind food. Love Five Guys food, and yes sloppy bit good.

to you too

I’ve driven the whole eight many times. The trip home is almost always a straight through affair. But on the way down I like to do it a bit different (especially since we left the house so late in the day). When you’re traveling it’s easy to wear yourself out so I like for the first day at least to be well rested and to still get there early enough to actually get into something.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Well, they offered me a job, and I said yes, and now here I am 15 years later...
Sounds familiar…
just replace the 15 with a 33.

Quote:
I know that feeling well.
We are very lucky gents to be sure.

Quote:
Well, yeah. That makes sense.
I’m sure I’d have come around to the same answer.
Unless of course I could’a found a way to do the airfare to Hawaii.

Quote:
That's a great phrase. You know a lawyer came up with that one. I mean, it had to be a lawyer.
No other critter would have put those two words together.
Tam and I use that phrase a lot when describing… shall we say… rather hair-raising experiences.

Quote:

I can never turn that down, either.
Like I said, I had to throw about three of those in the trash across nearly a two years period.
So that last one arrived at an opportune moment.

Quote:
Excellent choice!
Our second stay at POR and very different from the first…
but I’ll get to that in a bit.

Quote:
This is when you end up in the Dreaded Aisle at the Target.
“Alea iacta est”

Quote:
Oh, and congratulations Max!
Thanks and I’ll pass that on to the boy.
The real congrats will be due if he can pull it off again in four more years.

Quote:
I think Five Guys got ruined for me. Everyone hyped it so much that by the time I tried it, I don't think there was any way it could meet expectations.
Sorry to hear that. We’d never heard of the place when we strolled into one down on the SC coast several years back, so there was no hype to deal with. They’re one of the better “semi-fast-food” burgers that I’ve run across (but I’ve still got many, many burger joints to test out before I could consider declaring a possible winner).

Quote:
Ugh. Did you at least wave at Fed?
Pounded out IASW on the car horn as I was crossing the St Mary.
No shots rang out in our direction so I have to assume that he wasn’t home at the time.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelabrezovsky View Post
Joking in and I can't wait to read more! I love reading tr's it gets me ready for my trip

Very glad to have you along for the ride.
I hope that you find at least some of this nonsense a little bit entertaining.

What kind of plans do y’all have for your stay “On World” and where about’s do you plan to set up camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Rob, an awesome update, and I can't believe you kept that a secret from us (or I totally missed the signs in your other TR).

I'm so happy you were able to do this...I know how much you had been missing it.

And glad some pixie dust came along and you were able to stay on property.

Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks Kat!

Yah, I don’t think I mentioned it in the Non-Disney TR.
Given the upcoming tuition bills, I probably shouldn’t have done it, but we figured at least one more great Disney adventure was a moral imperative. We’ll see how long it will take from here before our addictions drive us to raid the retirement funds and go back down again.

Now I just need to get busy writing up the first part of the first day.
(and find time to keep up the Williamsburg TR as well)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That’s a promise I not entirely certain that I can keep. But we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks for agreeing to take on this hazardous mission an feel free to speak you mind at any time in the process (there re several other followers that will certainly be doing a great deal of that).

No worries I won't hold you too it. However if anyone see me posting using the mobile version of the site. You all will know what happened.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Howdy all!!!

First off... I’m just a might behind here.

That's not all that amazing. I’m not the fastest poster around these parts.

I try to get an update up about once a week (but I also need to try and put one up on my “other TR” every then and again as well). I was also out of town for a few days and that slowed things up as well. If y’all are willing to move along at that kind of a snails pace, then it’s all good, but don’t feel obligated. I appreciate everyone that is willing to even give my nonsense a chance.

So now that I’ve offered a bit of an apology… how about an actual update (and a promise to try and get the next instalment up a bit quicker).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 2: Infiltration

Part 1: Establishing an effective cover

What exactly does a spy look like? If you were to ask say… Ian Fleming, then all secret agents would generally be dressed in a perfectly fitted tux and conspicuously winning rounds of baccarat in Monte Carlo casinos while elegant and obviously otherwise attached women throw themselves at their feet.

Or is the standard of Hollywood blockbusters just a tad too simple in this instance?

Maybe real spies are more like those of novels and noir films. The unnoticed loner sporting a trench coat and fedora traveling by cover of darkness along deserted, glossy streets kept perpetually damp by ever present rain and fog?

I mean, who’d even suspect someone that looked as though they’d fellen directly out of a dime novel of doing anything more sinister than a bit of harmless perambulation?

Not buyin’ it?

OK, maybe a spy looks more like the mission impossible / cat-burgle-esk type that disappears into the shadows and always moves from point-A to point-B as if they were a refugee from Circ de Soleil …

With varying degrees of skill and grace mind you…
but you get the idea.

Now, that’s what I call blending in.
Not even the owner of the little bungalow our hero has miraculously penetrated here would suspect him of skullduggery in a get up like that (assuming they were blind of course).

No… these aren’t real world examples. In fact, I’m not even sure there is such a thing as a real world in which we can put any example. But I believe that in the world we think we know, there is a real trick to blending in. You must become as boring as possible. Prefect the art of being supremely dull… Appear to be just another schmo in the midst of the crowd… Someone that you’d look right past. Kind’a like that guy…

Whoops… wrong picture.
I mean that guy…

No, not that one… that other one…
No, no not that one either, It’s that other, other one…
the one over there that looks a bit more suspicious…
and then there’s that other one over the other way that looks like he’s
in cahoots with the other, other one over there by that other, other, other one…
see ‘em now?

Certainly GL-G20 material if ever I’ve encountered it.

But we’re getting ahead of the story line again. Before you can infiltrate your advisories restricted and confidential facilities, you need to establish a well-camouflaged base of operations. That part of the plan was executed quite flawlessly on the first morning of the trip.

After a complimentary hotel breakfast and a bit of searching for another Red-Box location (because we had marginal films that needed returning or the boys would wind up owning said marginal films) we hit the road headed south. Over the St Mary River, past the Wide World of Golf, onto “Intrastate” highway number four and then at around 11 am, we crossed the border and entered “The World”…

(Remember those drops of liquid coalescing on the windshield there,
you’ll be seeing similar sites rather often from here on out.)

Even in questionable weather, I love seeing that gateway.

A veer to the right… a turn to the left and moments later it was this inconspicuous little neighborhood that we silently infiltrated…

Check in went very smoothly. I was even able to hook up several gift cards and rewards cards directly to our Keys to the world so we had a sizable credit toward spending right up front. Which is nice…

We have stayed at Riverside on one other occasion and enjoyed the resort. They bunked us in one of the plantations houses way back in the winter of 2010. Having already seen that part of the resort we were hoping to tryout one of the other areas to change things up a might. On this point, we were obliged. We garnered a spot in building 36 of the Alligator Bayou section this time around.

With the hopes of saving a couple of bucks we reserved a Standard View room. Now all y’all know that these usually come with a glorious view of either a power substation of a parking lot, and we knew that going in, but what we actually ended up with was closer to a garden view…

Very nice to be sure.

It was rather close to the parking lot (which will actually be a good thing latter on) but so well-manicured you never really noticed that fact. A win in any book. But with most wins… there is often a loss of some type. The loss here was the location of building 36.

As Luke said of Tatooine:
“Well, if there's a bright center to the universe…
you're on the planet that it's farthest from.”

All the buildings in the 30s are just about as far from all the amenities of POR as one can get (although 24 and 25 are a bit of a hike as well).

And the way that the walking trails are laid out (lovely though they may be) ensures that there is also no direct path nor viable shortcut back down to the dining hall.

Win some, loose some.

Anyway, welcome to room 3629 (our secret lair for the duration)…

The pictures were actually taken at different times during the stay including just before we left (and that’s mostly because we just didn’t take very many upon arrival).

Another reason we were interested in acquiring one of the Bayou rooms though was the little hidden bonus that also makes these rooms useful to families with more than two kids. The Murphy-Bed that is now standard in all of these rooms.

We only had two young’ens in tow but they were not particularly keen to be sharing a bed (queen size or otherwise). This fold out cot offered a potential solution to the problem…

Well… I did say potential.

I love how Toncy and the gator there resemble each other so much, but as you can see,…
the extra bed is more suited to… ummmm… smaller young’ens.

Max is a bit smaller then his buddy there and gave this option a try the first night. Not the best of decisions. It was a bit tight even for him (especially when it came to rolling over in the middle of the night). Not a problem though. We switched back to our original Plan-A. We’d brought along a twin size air mattress and the boys switched back and forth between that and the second queen bed.

Problem solved.

Even still these are an interesting detail in the Bayou rooms. They’re designed to look like a couple of shipping creates straight of the steamboat that have been plopped down in the room. Even the inventory/shipping numbers apparently stenciled onto the creates are hidden details. First off, the bottom “create” also doubles ad a chest of drawers. But while your looking at it, note the “AB-2292” plastered to the lower right corner …

…that’s paying homage to the resort itself. “Alligator Bayou – February 2, 1992” the day this section of the resort opened (although the whole resort was known as “Dixie Landings” at the time).

Now here’s a mystery for y’all to solve. There’s another number on the side of the narrow “create” that houses the Murphy bed…

We suspect that the “101971” bit of it refers to when Walt Disney World and the Magic Kingdom opened to the public on Oct 1, 1971. The “LHMC” bit of it though is throwing us off though.

Any ideas?

Well, we’ve gotten ourselves settled in here, so it’s time to wrap up the room tour. I’ll get to more of the resort later on in the proceedings but for now it’s off to the North Depot. We’ve got a bus to catch, and a restricted facility that needs to be infiltrated.

Next up: Abandonment!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
We followed some idiot.

Quote:
Try as he might to think of something different, what he wanted… really, really wanted… was to go back here…
Well, he's certainly a smart young man.

Quote:
Well not “exactly” there… that happens to be in front of the gingerbread house that is set up annually in the lobby of the Grand Floridian.
Well naturally. I mean if it has to be done on a budget, the GF is most certainly not the place to be. :rolleys1

Quote:
With all this in mind, we looked at the wallet situation and decided that it was at least possible.
Possible is good enough reason to me.

Quote:
Max has also seen it twice but not always with us in tow.
That first experience was all the way back in 2004 (also the last time I was there)…
2004???? You've been missing out.

Quote:
While both of them love the Disney emersion… they also like the slightly more high action… in your face… pin you back in the seat type of rides that are prevalent at slightly different types of “amusement parks”. The kind of thing that the folks at “Universal” use to hang warning signs on stating that you were about to board a “Dynamically Aggressive” ride experience (I’ve been fond of that odd phrase ever since).
I can relate to this.

Hmmm.... I need to go look at some dates. If you were there to experience the new Transformers ride, then that might just be about the lowest blow my nemesis could take at me right now.

Quote:
Now with much sorrow and sadness, I’ve had to toss out several of these little jewels since we returned from our grand Caribbean cruse. This time however, we had to stop and consider the implications.
Isn't it awesome when you actually get one of those and you're able to use it???

Quote:
Never have, but whenever I see them it is always when I'm traveling down in those parts. I just never really feel too compelled to leave an amusement park for fast food.

Quote:
When we finally got past the problem the boys had actually finished watching their first movie.
So how long did it take to get through there?

Quote:
Well, what ailed me at least.
Well, part of it...

Quote:
First off... I’m just a might behind here.
Eh, so am I.

Quote:
I try to get an update up about once a week (but I also need to try and put one up on my “other TR” every then and again as well).
You mean the TR that happened a year ago?

Quote:
Prefect the art of being supremely dull… Appear to be just another schmo in the midst of the crowd… Someone that you’d look right past. Kind’a like that guy…
I get it now... Rob's a CIA operative.

Quote:

Quote:
That is the thing I hate the most about the moderates. But if you've got a pin and that is the best option for the money, being in the middle of nowhere is a small price to pay.

Quote:
I love how Toncy and the gator there resemble each other so much

Quote:
The “LHMC” bit of it though is throwing us off though.

Any ideas?
I sense a Bonus Feature is on the horizon.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
What exactly does a spy look like?
Sean Connery.

Quote:
But I believe that in the world we think we know, there is a real trick to blending in. You must become as boring as possible. Prefect the art of being supremely dull… Appear to be just another schmo in the midst of the crowd… Someone that you’d look right past.
Also known as How Not To Be Seen.

Quote:
Over the St Mary River, past the Wide World of Golf, onto “Intrastate” highway number four and then at around 11 am, we crossed the border and entered “The World”…
You didn't stop at the Wide World of Golf?!

Quote:
I would even love seeing it if there were no weather whatsoever.

Quote:
Check in went very smoothly. I was even able to hook up several gift cards and rewards cards directly to our Keys to the world so we had a sizable credit toward spending right up front. Which is nice…
Excellent!

Quote:
With the hopes of saving a couple of bucks we reserved a Standard View room. Now all y’all know that these usually come with a glorious view of either a power substation of a parking lot, and we knew that going in, but what we actually ended up with was closer to a garden view…
So far, so good. I love the landscaping at POR.

Quote:
I'm sure it's just me, but I have never really minding having a long walk through a Disney resort.

Quote:
I love how Toncy and the gator there resemble each other so much

But yeah, I can see where that might not be so comfortable all night long.

Quote:
…that’s paying homage to the resort itself. “Alligator Bayou – February 2, 1992” the day this section of the resort opened (although the whole resort was known as “Dixie Landings” at the time).

Quote:
The “LHMC” bit of it though is throwing us off though.
Label Here Means Crap
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: