Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #151
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymommyof4 View Post
Good point !!
Bad. Point actually. The fridges are being pulled and replaced as the current ones are defective and pose a fire hazard. Those dots don't connect.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #152
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I think that for the correct audience, this will be great.

I can also have my soda much cheaper when I can grocery shop and stock my room fridge.

But if this really does extend to water parks and theme parks, it could be well worth it to do this and reduce the cost of drinks all day long when I don't have access to my fridge or don't want to carry a cooler.

Yes, drinks are a huge moneymaker... but there are times we cannot grocery shop or to spend a half day renting a car really outweights the savings... so we will like the new RFID option better.

And, I have to say it, I have not purchases mugs in recent years partly because I am tired of watching so many people abuse the system.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #153
5boyz
DIS Veteran

I only read thru part of this thread so if this has already been asked and answered I apologize....does anyone know if this has started at POP? Thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #154
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boyz View Post
I only read thru part of this thread so if this has already been asked and answered I apologize....does anyone know if this has started at POP? Thanks!!!
Edit: confused with Fastpass+ threads...

This is supposed to be going in Real Soon Now at the All-Stars. No specific dates mentioned. For that matter, Disney hasn't even confirmed it yet.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 07-15-2013 at 05:09 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #155
DisneyFan82
Earning My Ears

This should be interesting. I am sure it wont be long until someone figured out a way to beat the system. They always do!!
DisneyFan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #156
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Edit: confused with Fastpass+ threads...

This is supposed to be going in Real Soon Now at the All-Stars. No specific dates mentioned. For that matter, Disney hasn't even confirmed it yet.
Thank you!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #157
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan82 View Post
This should be interesting. I am sure it wont be long until someone figured out a way to beat the system. They always do!!
Take a used paper cup from the garbage or one left at a table. Good chance there will be some refills and time left on many (most?) cups.

The difference. People who currently bring back old mugs think it's allowed or pretend to think it's OK. People filling bug gulp mugs see people filling old mugs and decide the policy must be free soda for all.

New system removes that doubt and clearly puts those people in the category of shoplifters.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #158
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
The difference. People who currently bring back old mugs think it's allowed or pretend to think it's OK. People filling bug gulp mugs see people filling old mugs and decide the policy must be free soda for all.
Having this posted at every dispenser makes that seem less like "I didn't know" and more like "I didn't care".

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #159
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Take a used paper cup from the garbage or one left at a table. Good chance there will be some refills and time left on many (most?) cups.

New system removes that doubt and clearly puts those people in the category of shoplifters.
Glad I only use the hot water for tea that I bring from home.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #160
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

To be honest I think this is going to be a pain. Scanning mugs to get soda, time limits, the inevitable defects in the system, and not to mention the inevitable crashes. What happens when the system goes down? Can people still get drinks?

The problem with implementing this time-lock system is that in adding the extra measures, they're also adding extra risk. Sure, people can't bring back a mug they purchased last month and use it, but now there runs the risk of someone's chip not being activated properly, expiring early, getting stuck in the "locked" mode, etc. Lines for beverages will build as people will not understand the whole "scan and fill" procedure, I'm sure.

And I am being critical of this system. Is that wrong? No. I'm sure Disney has thought of these things as well, but nothing is ever perfect, every system has its flaw. Just to appeal to those who love this idea, yes, it is fantastic that we can now have controlled portions of beverages, and people will stop abusing the machines. We are on vacation after all.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #161
disneydaveb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
To be honest I think this is going to be a pain. Scanning mugs to get soda, time limits, the inevitable defects in the system, and not to mention the inevitable crashes. What happens when the system goes down? Can people still get drinks?

The problem with implementing this time-lock system is that in adding the extra measures, they're also adding extra risk. Sure, people can't bring back a mug they purchased last month and use it, but now there runs the risk of someone's chip not being activated properly, expiring early, getting stuck in the "locked" mode, etc. Lines for beverages will build as people will not understand the whole "scan and fill" procedure, I'm sure.

And I am being critical of this system. Is that wrong? No. I'm sure Disney has thought of these things as well, but nothing is ever perfect, every system has its flaw. Just to appeal to those who love this idea, yes, it is fantastic that we can now have controlled portions of beverages, and people will stop abusing the machines. We are on vacation after all.
Yeah. I hear you. Wouldn't it just have been easier for Disney to crack down on the offenders? Change mug designs every year or 2 to make it easier.
I'm sure they would not let people walk into the gift shop and pick up a t-shirt or autograph book and then walk out without paying.
Aug/Sep 2007 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2006 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Disneyland Hotel / Oct 2003 - All Star Movies / Nov 2002 - All Star Movies
Jan 2002 - All Star Movies / Sep 2000 - All Star Movies / Jul 1978 - Contemporary

disneydaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #162
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:

Disney doesn't like to confront guests, this technology forces people to be honest while increasing Disney's profit. My guess is that there are more people bringing back mugs from a prior trip that we realize.

Once the bugs get worked out we won't give the new procedures a second thought. Disney will be able to offer different drink plans with just a software change and park packages are just around the corner.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #163
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:

Probably why Disney recently tested the system at a resort. Hasn't Disney been using a similar system in the water parks for years? How many people pay with either a credit card or charge back to their room? The system goes down and Disney has bigger problems then with the soft drink dispenser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydaveb View Post
Yeah. I hear you. Wouldn't it just have been easier for Disney to crack down on the offenders? Change mug designs every year or 2 to make it easier.
I'm sure they would not let people walk into the gift shop and pick up a t-shirt or autograph book and then walk out without paying.
This is easier. Avoids confronting guests who say they were told they could bring mugs back. edited to add Also guests who keep filling a mug/cup then transferring the contents to another container it so their entire family only has to pay for one drink and/or mug. Think of this as serving the same function as security tags in merchandise. Think of this as similar in concept to a red light camera. Unlike cops red light cameras don't take breaks, don't listen to excuses, don't miss some violates and the municipality doesn't have some shifts without coverage.

Articles at the time of the All Star test implied the soda company was using Disney as a test. Limiting the number of refills, and time between refills, might be used at fast food restaurants as a way to deter famlies from buying one small drink for their entire family.

Last edited by Lewisc; 07-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #164
disneydaveb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Probably why Disney recently tested the system at a resort. Hasn't Disney been using a similar system in the water parks for years? How many people pay with either a credit card or charge back to their room? The system goes down and Disney has bigger problems then with the soft drink dispenser.

This is easier. Avoids confronting guests who say they were told they could bring mugs back. edited to add Also guests who keep filling a mug/cup then transferring the contents to another container it so their entire family only has to pay for one drink and/or mug. Think of this as serving the same function as security tags in merchandise. Think of this as similar in concept to a red light camera. Unlike cops red light cameras don't take breaks, don't listen to excuses, don't miss some violates and the municipality doesn't have some shifts without coverage.

Articles at the time of the All Star test implied the soda company was using Disney as a test. Limiting the number of refills, and time between refills, might be used at fast food restaurants as a way to deter famlies from buying one small drink for their entire family.
Understood.
It's too bad this is the way it has to be. I just hope the problems are worked out and do not cause issues with lines, lock-outs and other messes for something as simple as getting a drink.
We definitely do not need to stand in another long line at WDW.
Aug/Sep 2007 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2006 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Disneyland Hotel / Oct 2003 - All Star Movies / Nov 2002 - All Star Movies
Jan 2002 - All Star Movies / Sep 2000 - All Star Movies / Jul 1978 - Contemporary

disneydaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #165
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydaveb View Post
Understood.
It's too bad this is the way it has to be. I just hope the problems are worked out and do not cause issues with lines, lock-outs and other messes for something as simple as getting a drink.
We definitely do not need to stand in another long line at WDW.
Don't these machines fill the cup faster? You won't have people in front of you filling multiple old (and non-Disney) mugs. You won't have people filling the mug, drinking (or transferring to another container) the refilling the mug without leaving the soda machine.

I don't see any reason to think the lines would be longer then what we currently have. Obviously excluding the possibility Disney decides eliminating the "cheaters" means fewer machines are needed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: