Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #1891
DizMagic
Mouseketeer

This past Feb cruise we tried and tried to get a cabana on Serenity Bay to no avail. We even checked every day of the cruise, checked with guest relations, and with port adventures. No one would accept us on this mysterious waiting list that some people talk of. We never ended up getting the cabana. While it didn't ruin my trip or my day, we definitely would have preferred one as I am super sensitive to the sun. One thing I will say - we (and a couple of our table mates) all walked along the beach of SB multiple times during that day. For the entire day - we only ever saw 1 cabana being occupied. I don't know if the other people didn't show or what. It would be nice if maybe there was a way that people could get the cabana by like 10 or 11 if the previous reservers didn't show.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1892
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

People still have to pay for it. It's not going to matter to DCL how much time, if any, they spend in it. If a cabana is very important for you, the best thing to do is book concierge. That's what we did or our first cruise this October. I knew there would be no chance trying to luck it out.
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1893
HeddyRuth
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
People still have to pay for it. It's not going to matter to DCL how much time, if any, they spend in it. If a cabana is very important for you, the best thing to do is book concierge. That's what we did or our first cruise this October. I knew there would be no chance trying to luck it out.
We did the exact same thing. Booked concierge to get priority for reservations. It was our first cruise and didn't want to take things to chance. We also have two small very fair girls who need naps and they both were able to do so in the security of the cabana. It even had a pack and play. Regarding the other cabanas being booked since we felt like we were the only ones there, our hosts said they were indeed occupied, but we really never felt anyone else's presence.

HeddyRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #1894
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
Interesting. More info please!
Our day we had the Cabana, was a cold overcast day at CC so I am sure that didn't help matters.

But the concept was fairly new so nothing seemed to go the way we had heard it would.

1. No ride to the cabana.
2. No drinks in the cabana when we arrived
3. We called for someone to get us drinks and it took them literally 20 minutes to come and then at least double that to bring our drinks back and she was rude when brought them back saying we could just as easily get them from Cookies ourself.
4. The changing area with the curtain around it is laughable
5. The chairs and benches to sit on are wooden hard and no cushions.
6. we also had 2 excursions that day and asked for a ride to get to them and were told no.

So just not worth what we paid for

Last edited by dizzi; 07-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #1895
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Our day we had the Cabana, was a cold overcast day at CC so I am sure that didn't help matters.......
Thanks for sharing your experience.

May I ask when this experience occurred? Month/year.

Initially when these Cabanas were available there were growing pains. There were many negative comments. I thought I heard the growing pains had ceased, and aggressive hospitality is alive and well.
Perhaps it is still hit or miss.

I do understand that each sailing can encounter a different experience.
I'm sorry you failed to receive the services you were promised.
I would be peeved too.

It is the 3 concierges aboard that manage these 18 or so units.
(Dream Class)

For those folks visiting CC for the first time, and have an excursion or two, the Cabana could be considered a waste of resources by some. This scenario is why some report back indicating all Cabanas were booked, I was on the waiting list, but still couldn't snag a Cabana, yet they all appeared unoccupied.

It's possible folks book them, and yet are so involved with activities they rarely spend any time within the Cabanas. This occurs often, and will continue to occur unfortunately.

I always supported the efforts in the Dis-Meet threads to share a Cabana on CC. Or share with others friends made aboard. It makes so much sense to me. The odds of both families in the Cabana at the same time are slim IMO. You can split the cost among the families, and make the price more reasonable. IMO.

To each their own though too.

I know we would be willing to share our good fortune with others while at CC if possible. I will continue to feel this way until ......

First timers spend 1 hour in the Cabanas. Those that have sailed 5 times, spend 4 hours in the unit. It's all relative, fwiw.

It's all good either way. It's only a stupid hut, , that few use.
The only time it is truly desired is when it is raining all day, or brutally hot and sunny. IMO. Or those with nappers.

It's another example of brilliant marketing by DCL.
I mean, come on, you got to give them credit .... lol. $500 for 5 hours, ??
I need to buy this stock.

In other words, for those that cannot reserve a Cabana; feel liberated that you are not tied to a shack.

Many feel if they do in fact have the opportunity to reserve a Cabana they must do so, regardless. After their experience most feel differently in the future IMO.

Good Luck to all

Last edited by Bear3412; 07-13-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1896
ppiew
DIS Veteran

We have had cabanas twice and I truly feel you should be picked up AT the SHIP and driven to them. I know that is a pain but for $500 it is a small thing. Would help sooo much especially for those who don't walk very well (me) or those with small children. It would certainly make one feel special. Then again, I guess with them filling up on every cruise there is no need to add anything to the existing stay.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #1897
kathi
DIS Veteran

A cabana on the FB is the highlight of any DCL cruise for us. We save our Disney Visa points for it all year. Our family of 5 (grandparents, parents and 1 child) and sometimes a friend find it the perfect size for a lovely beach get away.

We have always been offered a ride from the check in spot (but decline as it's not really that far of a walk and it's a lovely path). My dad is 90 and he still prefers to walk, so the young'ins walk also!

We spend the ENTIRE DAY in our cabana and on the beach in front of it (except for trips to Cookies II and the restroom). We get off the ship as early as possible and we stay until close to the last tram. It is a little bit of paradise and we enjoy the heck out of it.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #1898
HeddyRuth
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi View Post
A cabana on the FB is the highlight of any DCL cruise for us. We save our Disney Visa points for it all year. Our family of 5 (grandparents, parents and 1 child) and sometimes a friend find it the perfect size for a lovely beach get away.

We have always been offered a ride from the check in spot (but decline as it's not really that far of a walk and it's a lovely path). My dad is 90 and he still prefers to walk, so the young'ins walk also!

We spend the ENTIRE DAY in our cabana and on the beach in front of it (except for trips to Cookies II and the restroom). We get off the ship as early as possible and we stay until close to the last tram. It is a little bit of paradise and we enjoy the heck out of it.
You sound like us. We were that way on our first cruise and will be that way on our next in October. Can't wait

HeddyRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #1899
vcunning
Mouseketeer

That's a bummer. We had a totally different experience at the beginning of July. First time cruisers. First time Cabana renters (yep, we got lucky on getting one)

1. First off ship, First on Tram. Didn't mind the walk to cabana (which was one of the nearest ones). They gave us a ride back to the ship at the end of the day (we were the last ones off the island I believe).
2. Cabana was fully stocked with drinks and snacks. Our cabana host greeted us immediately and actually switched out the sodas for water. They also replenish the waters and snacks during the day. They also kept checking in on us.
3. The 2 times we hid that magic red button, it was less than a minute for a response . . . probably just lucky they were in the area. It looks like they use some pager technology for it.
4. Changing area was really small. Agreed. But I did like having our own shower.
5. We were all set with cushions. Very comfortable. All the adults took turns taking naps. Some of the kids went down too!
6. The CM also came to us with our planned shore excursions and told us what time they would be here to pick us up. The first excursion (para-sailing) got cancelled due to high winds. The CM actually said that might be an issue and they would let us know before we got on the golf cart. It was cancelled and they saved us the commute over.

We had 2 families, group of 8. We'd do a cabana again in a heartbeat.

I do wish you had a similar experience to ours..

Quote:
Our day we had the Cabana, was a cold overcast day at CC so I am sure that didn't help matters.

But the concept was fairly new so nothing seemed to go the way we had heard it would.

3. We called for someone to get us drinks and it took them literally 20 minutes to come and then at least double that to bring our drinks back and she was rude when brought them back saying we could just as easily get them from Cookies ourself.
6. we also had 2 excursions that day and asked for a ride to get to them and were told no.

vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #1900
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:

This was not the experience we had in May 2013.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcunning View Post
That's a bummer. We had a totally different experience at the beginning of July. First time cruisers. First time Cabana renters (yep, we got lucky on getting one)

1. First off ship, First on Tram. Didn't mind the walk to cabana (which was one of the nearest ones). They gave us a ride back to the ship at the end of the day (we were the last ones off the island I believe).
2. Cabana was fully stocked with drinks and snacks. Our cabana host greeted us immediately and actually switched out the sodas for water. They also replenish the waters and snacks during the day. They also kept checking in on us.
3. The 2 times we hid that magic red button, it was less than a minute for a response . . . probably just lucky they were in the area. It looks like they use some pager technology for it.
4. Changing area was really small. Agreed. But I did like having our own shower.
5. We were all set with cushions. Very comfortable. All the adults took turns taking naps. Some of the kids went down too!
6. The CM also came to us with our planned shore excursions and told us what time they would be here to pick us up. The first excursion (para-sailing) got cancelled due to high winds. The CM actually said that might be an issue and they would let us know before we got on the golf cart. It was cancelled and they saved us the commute over.

We had 2 families, group of 8. We'd do a cabana again in a heartbeat.

I do wish you had a similar experience to ours..
THIS is the experience we had. Lovely, lovely day for 6 adults.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #1901
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:

Ditto us! DD and I got off first since she did the 5k, DH and DS got the snorkel equipment. They also went bike riding. We met up at the Cabana, requested some grapes (only fruit DD can eat without her mouth getting itchy) and some fanta orange soda. Both were brought to us, they apologized for taking so long for the grapes, since that hadn't been brought off the ship yet. We were like, no problem, thank you so much! We had Alice and she rocked!

DD and I spent the day in floats in the water relaxing and looking for shells. DH spent it in the cabana with the DH of the fantastic family who let us share it with them. We had more water brought out when needed and soda. They took away all our dirty dishes. And they took back the snorkel equipment.

DH will not get off the ship at CC without one...LOL...or so he says. But then he did books us concierge for our Aug cruise... . And yes we would like to find a family we get along with to share...
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #1902
RaglanRoad
So Cal Girl

We have booked a cabana twice and both times have spent the whole day there minus restroom and lunch time. The first time with a cabana was at Serenity Bay and there were 2 of us. We actually stayed until our host came to get us and said we had to leave The funny thing is we did the same on our second cabana stay which was at the family beach area and there were 3 of us.
On the second cabana visit my grandma was with us and she truly enjoyed having the comfy chairs, being able to sit in the shade or sun without having to move very far as she is limited in mobility. We were lucky to get a ride all the way back to the ship at the end of the day but with her mobility I wish there was transportation from the ship to the cabana for her.

I have been lucky getting cabana's for both of the times I have actually tried and since I was not concierge I guess I should feel a little more lucky.

http://www.dis-n-that.com

Disney Wonder, Disney Magic, Disney Dream, WDW Beach Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Disneyland Annual Pass
RaglanRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #1903
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

We are sailing in late January. Is it chilly at CC at that time of year??
Bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #1904
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonacker View Post
Are Cabana reservations cancel-able? Anyone know?

I'd love to try to reserve one for our January trip. . . . But we'd only be able to use it if our three-year-old son is not wearing the plaster torso cast he usually has to wear.

(He wears body casts for infantile scoliosis, and we don't know yet if he'll be in-cast or out-of-cast for our cruise. If he's out of cast, we'd love to get lucky with a Cabana reservation. If he's in cast, we wouldn't spend much time at CC, if we even go at all, so we'd probably cancel the reservation.)

PS: We are sailing in late January. Is it chilly at CC at that time of year??
I believe, as with most excursions, that it would have to be canceled (at the latest) 3 days prior to the start of your cruise. After that, you can cancel, but you will be charged for it anyway, UNLESS DCL is able to "resell" it.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #1905
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

We will have nine adults on our next cruise, four of them are grandparents in their 80s. We thought a cabana would be nice. We are not concierge, but are platinum, so are hoping to get one at the adult beach.

Since there are nine of us, I know we will need to get permission and pay extra. If we have an opportunity to get two cabanas, does any one have any thoughts on whether we should do it? I am willing to spend the extra money since it is a special cruise for the grandparents and I want them to have a great day at Castaway Cay.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: