Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
karl_nj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Electronic wristbands tested at Walt Disney Co. (DIS)s Florida resort succeeded in boosting spending by guests, parks division Chairman Thomas Staggs said.
Are they bumping up your "credit limit" along with rolling out the magic bands? I know that on my last stay I tried to use my WDW "Key to the World" card as I would on any cruise, to pay for 'everything'. But every so often I would hit my "credit limit" and have to visit the front desk in my resort in order to have them charge my credit card (on file) and reset my balance. I really didn't understand why they woudln't do this automatically.

I found this quite annoying, and eventually just switched to using a credit card in most places.

I wasn't even spending all that much, the limit was pretty low. Perhaps if I had a dining plan then I wouldn't have run into this issue, since I think most of my charges were for food.

I was staying at the Pop Century -- I really wanted to ask if my "limit" would have been higher if I had been staying at the Grand Floridian...
karl_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_nj View Post
Are they bumping up your "credit limit" along with rolling out the magic bands? I know that on my last stay I tried to use my WDW "Key to the World" card as I would on any cruise, to pay for 'everything'. But every so often I would hit my "credit limit" and have to visit the front desk in my resort in order to have them charge my credit card (on file) and reset my balance. I really didn't understand why they woudln't do this automatically.

I found this quite annoying, and eventually just switched to using a credit card in most places.

I wasn't even spending all that much, the limit was pretty low. Perhaps if I had a dining plan then I wouldn't have run into this issue, since I think most of my charges were for food.

I was staying at the Pop Century -- I really wanted to ask if my "limit" would have been higher if I had been staying at the Grand Floridian...
It is higher at moderates and bumps again at deluxe
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_nj View Post

Yes, your limit would have been $1500 at the GF vs $500 at Pop. That has been in effect for years.

But what no one mentioned was that the 1.000 people who tested the bands were deluxe resort guests. On avg these guests tend to spend more anyway. I don't think fun and the bands had anything to do with getting them to spend more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Please correct me-- but I haven't seen any info saying fpp will be available to off site guests. ???
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
MarkC71
Earning My Ears

I'm excited about the new my Magic bands but I am concerned that allowing more Then three fast passes per day would increase the wait in the fast pass lines and ultimately end up negating their value. However, I'm sure Disney has put a whole lot of time and effort into researching crowd levels and line wait times and have a good idea how everything is going to work. I don't love the idea of having to book my ride time 60 days out, but I'm also thinking a lot of other people won't want to do that either and maybe guests will wait until they get closer to their vacation before they start booking times. I don't know, I guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the increased spending this makes sense. I used to work for a company that used similar technology at convenience stores. Time after time market research showed that customers paying with cash spent the least money, those paying with credit cards spent more in the store, and those paying with the key tag technology paid the most, even if it was only a dollar or two. I'm sure it won't hold true for everyone visiting the parks but its just human nature, it's easier to put out a couple of extra bucks when you aren't using real cash. I guess that's what keeps all those big credit card companies in business.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Perhaps, but it cuts into selling the value of the park hopper addon.
I read, but don't remember how credible the source, Disney was going to go back to including park hopper with most tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Yes, your limit would have been $1500 at the GF vs $500 at Pop. That has been in effect for years.

But what no one mentioned was that the 1.000 people who tested the bands were deluxe resort guests. On avg these guests tend to spend more anyway. I don't think fun and the bands had anything to do with getting them to spend more.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Disney knew they were deluxe resort guests. Disney knows what the average guest spends. Disney said those guests spent more. Do you think Disney is lying in order to justify the $$$ spent on the magic bands? I guess it's possible.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I read, but don't remember how credible the source, Disney was going to go back to including park hopper with most tickets.

Disney knew they were deluxe resort guests. Disney knows what the average guest spends. Disney said those guests spent more. Do you think Disney is lying in order to justify the $$$ spent on the magic bands? I guess it's possible.
No, I don't think they are lying, but did they say those guests spent more than the guests staying at deluxe resorts without magic bands, or more than all guests in general? There are lots of ways of coming up with impressive numbers without needing to lie, and I don't think it will be truly telling until a much larger cross sampling of all guests are tested.

As for the credit vs cash concept mentioned by a PP, absolutely! People will always spend more with plastic than cash, but that is already in place with the ability to charge on your RFID KKTW card, so the tap and go concept already exists even without the bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #23
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Do you have to use these? last stay I did not even use the room key for charging, used my own credit card. When then informed me I had to use and extra code to use, just passed. And having to order fast passes is not going to work for me at all. I never know where I am going to be on a given day til I get there. Often we take the first bus that comes along.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
MarkC71
Earning My Ears

I realize the key to the world cards already had that functionality, but you probably had people, like my family, who would not use that card for much other then incidentals. When we went down we hardly ever used KTTW cards for purchasing anything. The band just makes it easier, its on your wrist all day, it just makes it easier to separate you from your money.

I'm just telling you what my old company found at their stores with the keytag. And this is at a convenience stores where people were buying chips and gum. Imagine if Disney gets every person that walks into the Magic Kingdom, to buy an extra ice cream cone, or balloon, or plush doll, or lollipop, just because of the Magic bands. That's all it would take to make it profitable.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC71 View Post
I realize the key to the world cards already had that functionality, but you probably had people, like my family, who would not use that card for much other then incidentals. When we went down we hardly ever used KTTW cards for purchasing anything. The band just makes it easier, its on your wrist all day, it just makes it easier to separate you from your money.

I'm just telling you what my old company found at their stores with the keytag. And this is at a convenience stores where people were buying chips and gum. Imagine if Disney gets every person that walks into the Magic Kingdom, to buy an extra ice cream cone, or balloon, or plush doll, or lollipop, just because of the Magic bands. That's all it would take to make it profitable.
True. I wonder if there will be an increase in the number of guests willing to charge back to their rooms. We have always done it...even as a teen in the 80s my parents allowed us charging privileges on our cards. But I have noticed more often than not, people here on the Dis do not charge back to their rooms. They talk of how much cash to bring, using GCs and asking if credit cards are accepted. I guess everyone has their reasons, but I'm wondering if those people will change their ways with the bands, and how will Disney encourage that.

As for me, I am a marketing person's dream....the band will most likely increase my impulse spending

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
No, I don't think they are lying, but did they say those guests spent more than the guests staying at deluxe resorts without magic bands, or more than all guests in general? There are lots of ways of coming up with impressive numbers without needing to lie, and I don't think it will be truly telling until a much larger cross sampling of all guests are tested.
Did guests volunteer to participate? Did Disney pick a group of guests and told them this is the new system? I'd speculate the kind of people who would volunteer to try out a system which makes buying stuff easier might be the kind of people who like to buy stuff on vacation.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
SharkBoy
Earning My Ears

Wristbands/Fastpass +

I can't wait to try mine, I'm just not sure if the fastpass + is something that I'm going to really use, I find it's bad enough you have to decide way in advance what restaurants you want to eat at and plan your day around that, I'm not sure that I want to add planning my day around a reserved time for an attraction as well... but I guess I'll know more after I try it.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Please correct me-- but I haven't seen any info saying fpp will be available to off site guests. ???
Yes, it is available to all ticket-holding guests. In order to book FP+ prior to arrival, you will have to pre-purchase theme park tickets. The ticket will be linked to a "My Disney Experience" online account, which will then enable the FP+ reservation feature.

Annual Passholders will reportedly get a fixed number of days per year in which they can use the FP+ benefit. I think 20 days per year has been tossed around, but like all things that's certainly subject to change.

What remains unknown is whether Disney will choose to give more FPs to its hotel guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I don't know that they would lie...but without any quantification it's hard to draw any conclusions. Just buying a few add-on trinkets for the Magic Bands would technically represent an increase (all other things being equal.) Any fraction of a percent is an "increase", but not necessarily a sign that MB users are opening untying the purse strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Do you have to use these? last stay I did not even use the room key for charging, used my own credit card. When then informed me I had to use and extra code to use, just passed.
You must have either a Magic Band or the old KTTW card to unlock room door and to obtain FastPasses. There is no mandate to use it for shopping.

Quote:
And having to order fast passes is not going to work for me at all. I never know where I am going to be on a given day til I get there. Often we take the first bus that comes along.
Guests are not obligated to pre-reserve ride times. They will have kiosks in the parks where you can use the Band or KTTW card to obtain FP+ ride times. However, the paper FP tickets are being eliminated and the limit of three FPs per day will apply (unless Disney tweaks that policy.)

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Guests are not obligated to pre-reserve ride times. They will have kiosks in the parks where you can use the Band or KTTW card to obtain FP+ ride times. However, the paper FP tickets are being eliminated and the limit of three FPs per day will apply (unless Disney tweaks that policy.)
And of course this in the FAQ is repeatedly noted that you can book these FPs same day IF ... giant .... IF there are any left available.

It is quite possible that all the FPs for an attraction you want will book up long in advance of the day you are in the park .
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #30
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
And of course this in the FAQ is repeatedly noted that you can book these FPs same day IF ... giant .... IF there are any left available.

It is quite possible that all the FPs for an attraction you want will book up long in advance of the day you are in the park .
At the very least, the desirable times will be gone.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: