Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #136
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

My understanding is that the RFID chip used in the mugs is a passive one that does not require a battery. The drink system software is updated by the CM which allows that mugs serial number to use the machine.

The programming possibilities are endless, Magic Bands might be incorporated into the process, policy changes will only require a software update.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #137
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Soda is no always dispensed from these systems cold.
Cold is required to maintain carbonation.

Bill

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #138
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
This actually makes me wonder if the machines will be calibrated to fill based on a presumed ice content. I myself never get ice because:

1) As stated the soda in the machines is already cold enough to my liking.
2) Ice in time dilutes the soda and eventually you get a watery drink
3) Ice wastes precious space that could be used for soda

(Did you say Americans are addicted to soda? Nah... )

If they are calibrated to expect ice, the possible 5 minute rule will definitely kill me. Like dead. For reals yo.
There is a youtube video of the test machines at All Star Sports and they were able to fill the cup right to the top with no ice.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #139
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Bill
Yet I seem to get warm sodas frequently enough...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #140
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
It comes out of the machine cold and if you are drinking it that fast do you need ice? I'm not trying to quibble, but Americans are seriously addicted to soda, I know I'm one, but I'm working to cut back.
That fast? 6 ounces? Go walk through EPCOT in August and fill a dixie cup, see how long it lasts.

So your advice to cut down "Americans serious soda addiction", is to not add ice to a 16 oz cup, just drink all 16 ounces of soda with no ice.

Maybe if you add ice, it will cut your addiction in 1/2.

Last edited by jade1; 07-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
jade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #141
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
There is a youtube video of the test machines at All Star Sports and they were able to fill the cup right to the top with no ice.
OK. I will live. For now
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #142
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Couple of points to make.

WDW is rolling out RFID, yet can't seem to provide decent WIFI to save their lives.

We're season pass members at Busch Gardens and Water Country. Both parks have a refillable drink program. If you purchase a current cup, your refills are .99. If you bring back an old cup, they're 1.29. Saves the environment, and gives a modest incentive to buy a current year's cup. This is why we visit Busch parks, like Sea World and Aquatica when using our DVC in WDW. They provide an eco friendly policy.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #143
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
=WDW is rolling out RFID, yet can't seem to provide decent WIFI to save their lives.
Totally different technologies though.

RFID is actually relatively easy.

But frankly, WDW is doing something UNPRECEDENTED when it comes to Wi-Fi. I actually know how they provided CM-level Wi-Fi as well as guest-level 3G phone service without having unsightly towers in view of the parks. But now they are trying to bring guests...tens of thousands of them...onto a Wi-Fi network, and asking them to actually use it. Seriously, this has not been done before, and speaking from experience, trying to get this to work in a moderate office environment reliably is not that easy. I may joke about the Wi-Fi, but frankly I SERIOUSLY don't want to be the one trying to make it work.

Then again, the Einstein who though that the MagicBands active transmitter should work at 2.4GHz needs to be thwapped hard...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #144
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
That fast? 6 ounces? Go walk through EPCOT in August and fill a dixie cup, see how long it lasts.

So your advice to cut down "Americans serious soda addiction", is to not add ice to a 16 oz cup, just drink all 16 ounces of soda with no ice.

Maybe if you add ice, it will cut your addiction in 1/2.
You said,
Quote:
Its about 6 ounces with ice. In the FL heat?

Although one time on a cooler Dec trip-I actually got outside the building and still had a couple swigs left.
Which I took to mean you were able to drink the 6 oz before you left the CS building. A solution of getting more soda would be to not get ice, drink that down and get ice and soda on the next round in 5 minutes. Just trying to be helpful not trying to be harsh.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #145
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
We're season pass members at Busch Gardens and Water Country. Both parks have a refillable drink program. If you purchase a current cup, your refills are .99. If you bring back an old cup, they're 1.29. Saves the environment, and gives a modest incentive to buy a current year's cup. This is why we visit Busch parks, like Sea World and Aquatica when using our DVC in WDW. They provide an eco friendly policy.
That may be more eco friendly but not wallet friendly.

I understand the mug purchase is $8-10 and then $.99 for each refill. By the 10th refill you're spending more than Disney would charge. And I suspect most buyers refill their mug more than 10 times over a 14-day period.

Disney gives you a brand new shiny mug--probably with new graphic design every year or two.

Of course, Disney only has the refill stations at resort hotels now so it's not really apples-to-apples with an in-park option.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #146
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bill
Never heard of this before. Carbonation is stored under pressure separately and is mixed with water and syrup in the machine. Cold helps everything work better, but isn't a requirement of carbonation, I didn't think. You need pressure (a sealed container) to maintain carbonation no matter how cold..

Is there a reason it is required? Maybe the cold makes it last longer or mix better? Just curious.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #147
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
A solution of getting more soda would be to not get ice, drink that down and get ice and soda on the next round in 5 minutes.
Now there can be a second line looking at their smart phone clock to see when they can get a refill that's cold. Maybe a FP+ could be reserved for this.

Last edited by jade1; 07-14-2013 at 09:47 AM.
jade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #148
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Never heard of this before. Carbonation is stored under pressure separately and is mixed with water and syrup in the machine. Cold helps everything work better, but isn't a requirement of carbonation, I didn't think. You need pressure (a sealed container) to maintain carbonation no matter how cold..

Is there a reason it is required? Maybe the cold makes it last longer or mix better? Just curious.
From a soft drink machine company; "Maintaining your soda temperature is the most important and troublesome parts of any soda dispenser. If soda is dispensed at improper temperatures, you will lose your carbonation and your soda will taste flat. Soda should be dispensed at no more than 40 degrees".

The dispensers have a cold plate at the bottom of the ice bin that the carbonated water passes through or a ice block next to the carbonator. In most machines the carbonated water line is insulated and has a refrigerated cold water loop running next to it feed by a pump in the freezer section of the machine. Some machines also chill the syrup lines so that the warm syrup doesn't heat up the soda water.

Bill

Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #149
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
From a soft drink machine company; "Maintaining your soda temperature is the most important and troublesome parts of any soda dispenser. If soda is dispensed at improper temperatures, you will lose your carbonation and your soda will taste flat. Soda should be dispensed at no more than 40 degrees".

The dispensers have a cold plate at the bottom of the ice bin that the carbonated water passes through or a ice block next to the carbonator. In most machines the carbonated water line is insulated and has a refrigerated cold water loop running next to it feed by a pump in the freezer section of the machine. Some machines also chill the syrup lines so that the warm syrup doesn't heat up the soda water.

Bill
I knew I liked it cold but didn't know it was important to the coarbonation.

Learn something new every day! Thanks.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #150
Disneymommyof4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134
Check out this chain of events.

1. Disney announces they are introducing RFID mugs that will prevent long term mug use while simultaneously increasing the price

2. A large portion of the DIS community says they won't buy the mugs and will just buy canned/bottled drinks to keep in there room refrigerators.

3. Disney announces they are pulling the refrigerators from all their rooms.
Good point !!
Disneymommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: