Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Osbourne Lights gone for 2014?

I'm surprised this doesn't appear to be here yet...

I'm hearing from several different independent CM sources that this year may be the last year for Osbourne Lights at DHS...

This goes along with rumors that LMA will be done within the next year, and that it and Streets of America would be rebuilt into at least parts of the Cars and Star Wars areas.

I don't know is this necessarily means the end of the lights altogether...I can think of other potential locations for them, but I don't know if Disney wants the expense anymore...after all, they didn't want to put up Lights of Winter at Epcot any more, and that was tiny in comparison.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I'm surprised this doesn't appear to be here yet...

I'm hearing from several different independent CM sources that this year may be the last year for Osbourne Lights at DHS...

This goes along with rumors that LMA will be done within the next year, and that it and Streets of America would be rebuilt into at least parts of the Cars and Star Wars areas.

I don't know is this necessarily means the end of the lights altogether...I can think of other potential locations for them, but I don't know if Disney wants the expense anymore...after all, they didn't want to put up Lights of Winter at Epcot any more, and that was tiny in comparison.
Wow I hope not! We are going this holiday season thank goodness to see it for the first time but was thinking about going again next year. That would be a bummer if this was the last year.

Btw, what's LMA?
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Btw, what's LMA?
Lights Motors Action
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Lights Motors Action
We missed that last visit (our first visit). Will make sure we catch it this time.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
darnheather
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3138860
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
doh! I looked, but for some reason I didn't see that...seems that it's really heating up today though...

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
They moved them once before from the residential street in the backlot to the current location. I would stop coming for the holidays if the lights were to be discontinued. I am still bitter about the lights of winter being discontinued.

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013
Next Visits: Oct-Nov 2013, Dec 2013
First Cruise: September 2014
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
TinkerBella17
Earning My Ears

I hope they don't get rid of them forever

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!
TinkerBella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
pieface
Mouseketeer

I agree if they do away with Osborne light I will discontinue my trip for the Christmas season. It was a blow when they removed the lights at Epcot this would be the final straw. I do most of my Christmas shopping there and spend quite a bit of money.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGeek1971 View Post
They moved them once before from the residential street in the backlot to the current location. I would stop coming for the holidays if the lights were to be discontinued. I am still bitter about the lights of winter being discontinued.
I miss the lights of Winter!!
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post

I miss the lights of Winter!!
Why was that discontinued?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Why was that discontinued?
The tech was "too old" for them to fix...at least that was the excuse.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The tech was "too old" for them to fix...at least that was the excuse.
http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...hway-at-epcot/

I wonder why they can't just replace them with LED lights instead. In our area the last few years, the electric company has offered free LED x-mas lights when you trade in your older incandescent ones.
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWA2 View Post
http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...hway-at-epcot/

I wonder why they can't just replace them with LED lights instead. In our area the last few years, the electric company has offered free LED x-mas lights when you trade in your older incandescent ones.
It wasn't the lights themselves, but the controllers that were obsolete.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

There is strong consideration to moving the lights onto Hollywood Blvd and downsizing them.
Streets of America is unique -- it's a "land" with no attraction, merchandise, or Food and Beverage locations. The only real operational use for it is for Osborne Lights. That's a lot of unused real estate generating no money and offering very little in utilized capacity.
When Streets of America debuted, it was part of the Backlot Tour. The trams would drive through the section and one could see a "bank robbery" scene on the street. Through the years, Backlot Tour has been downsized, shrunken, and forgotten in terms of creative design.
Hollywood Studios could only benefit at this point from reinventing this space. The entire south corner of the park is dead at night, causing overcrowding everywhere else.
Also, Osborne Lights were originally billed as a "temporary" offering. It was through surprise amounts of positive metrics that they have survived this long. The Techs that install, run, and remove the show are seldom Disney techs. They are normally Techs from the local union hall -- more expensive to employ as they aren't eligible for benefits, and must be coompensated in cash for per diem, healthcare, etc.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: