Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Swan or Dolphin

We are looking at a trip during F&W and will be staying at either the Swan or Dolphin. We will h e a rental car. I understand the Swan is a Westin, which in my experience is generally nicer than a standard Sheraton.

But, it looks like some of the Dolphin rooms face Epcot? And which hotel was renovated recently.

The prices are pretty close for our short stay (4 days), so we're looking for a nice, convenient option that affords some level of luxury (even though it's not a WDW Deluxe).
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Imho

Yes, Westin usually are a step above Sheraton, but not necessarily so here.

Some rooms at the Swan and Dolphin do face Epcot, but you have to book them specifically and pay more. The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin which can have long meandering walks down hallways to get to your room.

The Dolphin does have more dining and the fitness center in its building, but whichever you stay in you have access to the facilities of both.

I have stayed in, and enjoyed, both resorts. Which hotel is better depends more upon which specific room you are staying in rather than which of the 2 buildings you are in.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Dolphin last Dec. and really enjoyed it! We chose Dolphin over Swan only because it was less money. I do prefer the lobby in the Dolphin over the Swan, though and I preferred the food options at the Dolphin as well. The service we received from all staff members was excellent.

We did not book a park view room, however, I joined SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) and had my number linked to my reservation. That's starwood's free loyalty rewards program. I was given a free room category upgrade because of my SPG membership and ended up with a view of the EP fireworks AND could see the fireworks from DHS Fantasmic - it was fun!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

One other note, the Swan has queen beds as the Dolphins only have full size beds.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
mrsswat
Irishtinksmama

discounts

don't forget both offer many discount options - nurses, teachers, education support staff, AAA, AP... We liked the Swan for the queen beds, but the Dolphin for the view we had of the Boardwalk.
mrsswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Thanks for these tips.

Any idea if the Dolphin has been renovated recently? I thought I heard that some of the Dolphin rooms were renovated, but not all?

Any tips for getting a renovated room? I assume if we reserve a higher priced/higher category room we'll be more likely to get a renovated room?

Also, based on reading some online reviews on other sites, it sounds like the Swan has not been renovated & is in need of some updating. Any idea if anything at the Swan has been updated?
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I'd go with Swan for the bigger beds. They are really comfortable 2 years ago when we stayed there.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: