Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
AussieCaribou
Mouseketeer

Anyone travelled overseas with kids without partner?

Hi everyone,

So, I have a question about permission to travel. Spent time on smart traveller, talked to the TA, and searched google and they all say that I should take an authority to travel letter from my DH saying that my DD has permission to go to the US. Problem is that I can't find a form or actual words to said letter.

Has anyone taken the kids without the partner? Did you have one of these letters? What did it say? Did you need it?

Thanks,
AussieCaribou
AussieCaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
5ofus
DIS Veteran

I think it's a good idea to take one 'just in case'.

I found this example, which I think is from the US. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un..._to_travel.pdf

Hope that helps you get an idea of what to put in the letter.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
5ofus
DIS Veteran

This one make a letter up for you and is apparently free http://www.childtravelconsent.com/

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Busy Busy
DIS Veteran

My DH is my son's stepfather - and over the past 10 years we have done a lot of traveling and have NEVER been asked about this. He has a different surname to DH, DD and I, and it has always been OK - nobody has ever mentioned it. If they knew the background, they would realise that my ex husband is a great guy who actually drives us to the airport when we go away!!!

I think that it's a great idea to have the letter though - peace of mind is SO IMPORTANT - and those people at customs when you arrive in LA can be really intimidating. You'll probably never need it, but better to be safe than sorry.

1978 - Disneyland
1997 - WDW - Dixie Landings & Disneyland
2006 - Hong Kong Disney
2009 - Disneyland - Paradise Pier
2011 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
2013 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
2015 - WDW - Pop Century
Busy Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Sharkmeister
Mouseketeer

Over the past few years I have travelled a lot with the kids and just me. I always carry a letter signed by their father along the lines of."I give permission for X to take (insert names of children) to ( insert destination) for a family holiday. Signed.... Sometimes I might even add the return date.

I have never been asked for it but on this last trip in January to the US (LAX) after we had cleared immigration and collected out bags, the last passport check officer did ask where the the children's father was and I simply said he couldn't get the time off work. He seemed ok with that answer and we continued on our way. Their father was at work and did know about the trip. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I would have hesitated with my answer.
Sharkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
AussieCaribou
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much everyone. I will be producing a copy and taking it with me. I really dislike LAX and anything that can give me piece of mind there is a good thing!
AussieCaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
battymum
DIS Veteran

I know someone who was travelling alone with a grandson and was held up and interrogated for a very long time - they went to Canada , I am not sure which airport, they got stopped at.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
ame
Addicted to travel

I hav trvelled with all my sons to the US when they were 10 with my husband at home. The US only asked me the usual questions, but they'd also ask a question or two of the child. I took one child to Canada ad we were grilled. But then, when we go as a family of six we are grilled entering Canada as well.
ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

I went 2 weeks earlier with the kids than DH last year I intended on taking a letter from DH but really can't remember if I did or not, I would have to look in my travel folder but I did have a copy of his flights with me anyway but for our return flight we were all linked. I know that when we looked at cruising without him I was going to need signed paperwork giving permission.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

yep

traveled to usa twice in 2003, 2006 with both boys, DH stayed at home...never questioned, never an issue....

my parents took my DS1 to Disneyland and wasn't questioned either.

as long as their passport is valid with esta then there will be no issue.
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
kylieh
DIS Veteran

My SIL on a Kiwi passport, took her daughter, Australian Passport different surname. No one even blinked, asked, or anything.

I remember at the time being told when we were making enquiries, and I think it was from the US Embassy, the fact she had a passport was permission to travel.

Some other countries in the EU are different.

Edited: Additional... My nephew, different side of the family to the above, messy separation (story for another day) has been advised not to get his 2nd daughter a passport due to as soon as she has it the mother can take her overseas without his permission as they aren't subject to custody/family court orders, the mother is a citizen of another country and the eldest daughter has a passport. IYKWIM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: