Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We've gone the other way from these posts...we were deluxe snobs... Even at the WL, over 10+ stays, over all deluxes 35 stays and the last 2 trips have been POFQ and up coming trip again POFQ....

We do enjoy the WL, cost has become an issue... less discounts for deluxe and higher room rack rates has out phased our need for deluxe ... It's like been there done that scenario ...

POFQ is compact, easy to get around without the need for interior halls... Must say the food court offerings are much better than most deluxe resorts, deluxe TS restaurants in my opinion are awful and we hardly used them when staying deluxe...

So bottom line, when push came to shove, POFQ getting queen beds ... Really saw no difference in room size over WL... money talked.... We now stay POFQ, no need to look further, don't like the size of POR, but like to stroll over and visit their pool and food court!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We've gone the other way from these posts...we were deluxe snobs... Even at the WL, over 10+ stays, over all deluxes 35 stays and the last 2 trips have been POFQ and up coming trip again POFQ....

We do enjoy the WL, cost has become an issue... less discounts for deluxe and higher room rack rates has out phased our need for deluxe ... It's like been there done that scenario ...

POFQ is compact, easy to get around without the need for interior halls... Must say the food court offerings are much better than most deluxe resorts, deluxe TS restaurants in my opinion are awful and we hardly used them when staying deluxe...

So bottom line, when push came to shove, POFQ getting queen beds ... Really saw no difference in room size over WL... money talked.... We now stay POFQ, no need to look further, don't like the size of POR, but like to stroll over and visit their pool and food court!!
Nice point of view. Been there too. That $800 can buy my one college twin a whole new set of catchers gear
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
skeleton_pirate
Yo Ho, Yo Ho...

Going to jump on the bandwagon and say that it is absolutely worth it for all the reasons mentioned. Transportation's easier, the beds are comfier, the whole experience is just amplified. It was really brought home just how worth it the deluxe is when we did a split stay between POFQ and AKL. The second half of our trip was far and away more relaxing and more magical than the first half.

I've stayed at both both resorts, and while I'd rather stay at POFQ than not go at all, I'd sure as heck do everything in my power to be able to afford the deluxe.
skeleton_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Funny, because I moved from the POLY to PORS last december. My poly room was filthy. The common areas were filthy. PORS was just redone, so it was actually nicer in the room. The Poly is getting rehabed now, and I think everyone there had just given up because of that fact.

That being said, I have only heard great things about WL, and on my next trip I am doing a scouting mission there for a potential DVC purchase.

I think they are worth the $ if you can afford it. To me the accommodations are part of the vacation. If you are more "a room is just a place to crash" type, then probably no.

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
dmaz
Mouseketeer

Well we've stayed at both and we absolutely loved, loved, loved the WL. POFQ not so much. For our family, transportation and the extra space in the deluxes are key. If you don't mind the buses then POFQ is fine, but it definitely can not beat the feeling you get when you walk into the WL lobby. Can't wait to be able to stay there again, unfortunately with 5 in our family it is out of the running.

POR/Dolphin Dec 2014 :Dolphin/CR Aug 2013, Dolphin Jun 2012, POLY Aug 2009, CBR May 2007, AKL April 2006, WL Jan 2005, POFQ May 2004, POR April 2002
dmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Mouseketeer

Well, I think I am going to make the switch to WL. Once I thought about our plans, I realized that we plan to hang at the resort for a fair part of each day. We also plan to do MNSSHP, Hoop, and the Pirates and Pals cruise possibly - think it will be easier for all of these from the WL. Thanks to everyone for their insight - so great to come here and get opinions from people in similar situations. Hope everyone is having a great summer! Thanks again! Now off to make a call and switch my reservation.
120304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Oops didn't see the update

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
PrincessDaisyDuck
Mouseketeer

It's so individual as to whether it would be worth it to you, but for what it's worth my personal pick would be POFQ over WL. I've stayed at both (although WL many years ago) and POFQ is so darn nice I would just pocket the extra money for souvenirs or towards your next trip! The grounds are so beautiful, as are the grounds at Riverside which you can explore too.

Either way you'll have a great trip, they are both very nice resorts. Good luck!

1996 SoG & OKW, 1998 YC, OKW & WL, 1999 SoG & OKW, 2007 OKW, 2008 POFQ, 2009 POFQ, Jan. 2010 BLT, Sept. 2010 AKL Jambo, Jan. 2012 AKL Kidani, Sept. 2012 CSR, Feb. 2014 SSR, August 2014 FW Cabins
PrincessDaisyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120304 View Post
Well, I am booked at POFQ with free dining this September. I keep mulling over whether I should switch to the WL for an additional $800 for 5 nights. It's not that the extra $ would break the bank, but it's always nice to not spend it if you don't have to, right? Wondering if anyone has upgraded and looking back was happy they did, or thought they should have just stayed put and saved the dough. I hope this makes sense. Second guessing is driving me crazy. Have not stayed at either resort before, so am clueless a bit. It will be me, DH and two kids, 6 and 9. Thanks so much for any help!
Ahhh! That's always the question. We are booked at POR and have been waffling on changing to CR since the day we booked. For us the difference is about $800 as well. We decided to stay at POR and use the extra $$ for other activities like Pirates League for the kids, dessert party, etc.... Would have been nice to be on the monorail though.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We've only stayed at mods and deluxe. We've stayed at CSR, POR, POFQ, WL & Poly. We've stayed at both levels alternating years - so it's not as if once we went deluxe, we never went back. We like to travel to the World every year and in order for our budget to withstand it, we can't afford to do Deluxe this year. Last year, we stayed at POFQ and LOVED it. This year, we're headed back to the Poly (in 20 days actually !) But I have to say, when we told our dd8 and ds12, they were a little disappointed we weren't staying at the POFQ again - even though they loved the Poly when we stayed there.

For us, each level has its own merits. I love being on the monorail, but with that service comes less than stellar bus service to AK and DHS whereas we experienced great bus service to all the parks from both POR and POFQ - and we travel in August when the crowds are at 8s and 9s. We actually like the larger food court at the mods but we also love the choices at Captain Cooks at the Poly.

We love our moderate stays just as much as our deluxe stays!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: