Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #76
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

This makes me angry-I am a huge Norman Rockwell fan and old time "Americana" aficionado as well as a "cup of joe" (Dunkin/Krispy Kreme etc) type guy... This is an absolute travesty-IMHOthe only way it would please us purists(I'm not the only one) is IF they kept the ENTIRE Main St Bakery Menu and supplemented that with Starbucks drinks... The Starbucks "bakery" items are lackluster at best and their cinnamon roll holds nary a drop of wax to the original MSB cinn roll... Walt Disney would be losing his proverbial marbles and perhaps spouting off like Donald Duck... He would've figured out a way to balance the sponsorship with the creativity of the bakers and make it all work and preserve the intent of Main Street.

(Perhaps I should expound upon this and email Mr. Staggs??)
DJRosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #77
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post

I'm about 50/50 on the starbucks thing, the reason why I'm for it is because I love the coffee, I don't drink it often but it would be a great way to start the day at the park. What I dont like about it, and I could be wrong on this part, but I believe they replaced the bakery items with the typical Starbucks bakery items. I'm not a fan at all, we can get those items at the thousands of Starbucks around the world, why not mix the coffee with the old bakery items?
Amen to this(as my post states)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #78
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

Great post-I agree about change and whatnot-however-as I stated in a previous post-Walt always made the sponsorships take a backseat(while remaining visible) to the authenticity of the period/theme... If only they had kept the bakery items instead of Starbucks' lackluster items...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #79
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
But in one sense, Starbucks is both a brand and a product. The name is advertised because it will cause my daughter to head for the sign each and every day in the park. She loves and will want Starbucks coffee. So will many others, so it makes sense to tell people you can buy Starbucks here.
Agreed! Starbucks is a strong brand that is marketable; that's why they did this. It is no different than them adding Johnny Depp to POTC as a PP brought up. Younger generations automatically associate Depp with Jack Sparrow just like they know Starbucks as a a coffee shop with baked goods.

For those of you that think this is a huge mistake, rest assured that if it doesn't work they will promptly change it again and drop the partnership. WDW has done this many times in the past.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #80
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRosko View Post
This makes me angry-I am a huge Norman Rockwell fan and old time "Americana" aficionado as well as a "cup of joe" (Dunkin/Krispy Kreme etc) type guy... This is an absolute travesty-IMHOthe only way it would please us purists(I'm not the only one) is IF they kept the ENTIRE Main St Bakery Menu and supplemented that with Starbucks drinks... The Starbucks "bakery" items are lackluster at best and their cinnamon roll holds nary a drop of wax to the original MSB cinn roll... Walt Disney would be losing his proverbial marbles and perhaps spouting off like Donald Duck... He would've figured out a way to balance the sponsorship with the creativity of the bakers and make it all work and preserve the intent of Main Street.

I believe the small town coffee shop was far more common than the bakery during the Victorian age.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #81
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRosko View Post

So you would be happy if there was a dunkin donuts or a krispy kreme on main street? But starbucks is bad?
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #82
JLKennedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post

~This is NOT my argument, at all. I would never argue about "sponsorship" in the parks. The bakery was replaced with a common coffee franchise.
Starbucks DOES NOT franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #83
godolphin123
Earning My Ears

Hmmm

Walt came to me in a dream last night and said boooooorrrrriiiiiiiiinnnngggg....where's the creativity, where's the imagination....bring me my imagineers....we're not running a strip mall here
godolphin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #84
Nannylisad
Nannylisad

I hear your passion !! Lol

But let's remember ALL Disney food is "mass" produced !! To say Starbucks is guilty of it is a fact, however Disney is just as if not more guilty of it. The food quality at Disney has consistently gone hill for years. This might spark a much needed call for food quality to improve. We can always vote with our $ and stop attending the park. I myself will keep attending and avoid 700 sq feet of Main Street.
Nannylisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #85
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I think Walt would either say "I'll have a white chocolate mocha... Thank god they got rid of that Nescafé crap"

Or "what!?! Since when did a cup of coffee cost more than $0.05"

Can we stop with the Walt stuff please? The dust settled on him fifty years ago and any "family" influence was erased in 1984. Evolution and change are constants that have no mechanism for stopping
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #86
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Magic Johnson sold his 105 Starbucks franchises...

...back to Starbucks in 2010. Starbucks offers very limited franchise opportunities at their discretion, it is not available to the general public. http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...ranchises.html

Starbucks does franchise Seattle's Best. http://investor.starbucks.com/phoeni...irol-faq#26956
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #87
godolphin123
Earning My Ears

:)

With enough sugar, chocolate, mocha, cinnamon, half and half, what nots, etceteras and who knows whats anything will go down easy
Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #88
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom

what would walt say....

I thinkl Walt would say "Ill have a latte please" lol

or he would go "OOOOOOOH Money Money Money!!" in the style of Toy Story lol

Has anyone seen the documentary waking sleeping beauty? on there Walts Newphew - Roy and others basically saying "you cant let a dead guy run your company"
and "if we dont keep with the times were basically going to be running a meuseum"

can anyone honestly say that the coffee disney was putting out before was good? it was a cup of swamp water! now with coffee.. glad starbucks is there and it fits with the style of main street blended really well IMHO

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #89
godolphin123
Earning My Ears

you mean

coffee flavored drinks don't you? Just think what they(Disney) could have done with even a little imagination infused into the redu.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #90
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

So you would be happy if there was a dunkin donuts or a krispy kreme on main street? But starbucks is bad?
No-merely stating my coffee preference... I drink Starbucks on occasion-but I associated the Bakery with cinnamon buns and old time Missouri baking...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: