Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Don't like resort, asking to switch.

This is more a hypothetical question. Let's say we book a value with FD. Check in and find the resort is not our thing, for what ever reasons. What happens if we go to the front desk the next day and nicely say " sorry this resort is not for us" and ask how much difference an upgrade to a moderate would be???

Taking whatever was available.

To make it more tricky. Would they still roll-over a discount% ( FD or room only) if anything was available or check if your % was also available. ??? Where you might forfeit your FD or %???
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

we've switched, but probably no set rule?

Hi!
We did something similar (room only rates; not package), but I'm guessing your success will be based on room availability (we were there during a quiet time - end of August) and whether the CM you talk to is experienced/savvy (so can easily do the work necessary on the computer)?

We were at POR 3 nights, and supposed to move to CBR for a split stay for 3 more nights. We loved POR and asked if we could stay. We were on a bounceback room only rate (booked probably 6 or 9 months before arrival). The CM at POR reception desk said absolutely. Didn't even hesitate a second - just went right to the computer. We got to stay in the same room (preferred, corner, first floor! (all our requests)). And, get this: the CBR room rate was cheaper per night (not by alot - maybe $10 per night). They didn't charge us the difference - so we paid the lower CBR rate for POR preferred. Both rooms had been paid in full before we arrived, fwiw.

It might have helped that I tried to be very nice about it - asked as if a favor, not demanding at all, and had two young kids (with sad faces!) with me and no other adult (so, maybe helped that it could seem to CM its alot of work to move with only one parent there?). Who knows, but the CM instantly said yes so it seemed to not be the first time it had happened. (And, the 'computer work' took less time then when I've asked to switch rooms at check in-which I do alot!- so it really must not be an unusual request.)

Last edited by Amanda999; 07-11-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

I did that a few years ago. I checked in to the Beach Club and hated it! I hated the crowded lobby with the kids running and screaming. I hated my room. I made my way back to the lobby and nicely asked if there was any way possible to be moved to the Poly. I explained that I stayed at the Poly before and just loved it and that the Beach Club just wasn't for me.

They looked up my reservation and saw that there was availability at the Poly under the same discount code so they moved me. Evidently they must have called the Poly and told them how pathetic I was because the CM that checked me in at the Poly came out from around the desk and gave me a hug!

They were so accommodating at both the Beach Club and the Poly. Disney customer service at its finest!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
ashearer
Mouseketeer

I didn't think about a split resort when booking but have seen people on here who love doing it.We have 10 nights at YC in Oct and I wonder if I asked if they would let us have perhaps 3 of these night at the end of our trip at the Poly or AK.
ashearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

As PPs mentioned, it will depend on the availability of rooms and discounts at the time you ask to move. Our SIL and family booked POR for one of their trips and upon arrival decided it wasn't for them. They were able to get switched to the Boardwalk Inn, but had to pay full rack rate because no discounted rooms were available at BWI.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
nkereina
Wendy Darling

As PP mentioned, whether or not they can transfer your discount over solely depends on the availability of rooms left under the discount. A certain number of rooms are blocked per discount and once they are gone, they are gone. If the hotel you want to switch to still has availability under the discount, your gold. Otherwise, you'd be subject to rack rate or no free dining (if thats the discount). I know the mods sell out of rooms allotted for the promos fairly quickly, especially free dining. Also keep in mind that all rooms during free dining are priced at rack rate (the discount is just free dining) so if you switched to deluxe, you'd be paying rack rate for deluxe which can be pricey.

If you are booked under free dining, I'm wondering what would happen with this. At values, you are eligible for free QS dining but if you are able to switch to a mod or deluxe, it would be regular DDP. Since you would be paying the difference, I am sure you would be upgraded to regular DDP but it would be a drag for you without any ADRs. Getting into TS restaurants without ADRs can be difficult during free dining, which makes the restaurants more crowded. Something to consider.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Disney is as accomodating as possible. If they have a way to make you happier with your trip, they will do it. It might cost you more or it may be up or down a level of hotel, room or accomodation, but they will do it if they have the chance. I myself have never had a stay that was bad enough to move but I am pretty laid back. I probably won't ever go back to CBR though. Just didn't fit me. Beautiful resort, but they all are. Find the ones that click for you and stay there. For me it's WL and POFQ. Gonna try boardwalk next though.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
As PP mentioned, whether or not they can transfer your discount over solely depends on the availability of rooms left under the discount. A certain number of rooms are blocked per discount and once they are gone, they are gone. If the hotel you want to switch to still has availability under the discount, your gold. Otherwise, you'd be subject to rack rate or no free dining (if thats the discount). I know the mods sell out of rooms allotted for the promos fairly quickly, especially free dining. Also keep in mind that all rooms during free dining are priced at rack rate (the discount is just free dining) so if you switched to deluxe, you'd be paying rack rate for deluxe which can be pricey.

If you are booked under free dining, I'm wondering what would happen with this. At values, you are eligible for free QS dining but if you are able to switch to a mod or deluxe, it would be regular DDP. Since you would be paying the difference, I am sure you would be upgraded to regular DDP but it would be a drag for you without any ADRs. Getting into TS restaurants without ADRs can be difficult during free dining, which makes the restaurants more crowded. Something to consider.
Plus if you moved to a different resort because you didn't like the first, the second might not have any rooms with free dining attached to them. And you would be out free dining totally.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashearer View Post
I didn't think about a split resort when booking but have seen people on here who love doing it.We have 10 nights at YC in Oct and I wonder if I asked if they would let us have perhaps 3 of these night at the end of our trip at the Poly or AK.
If this is what you think you would want, I would wait till October discounts one out, and make your changes then, while there would still be availability with discounts rather then wit till you get there.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

I almost asked to move our first time at CBR - hated it that much. I wanted out. DH thought I was crazy.

FYI - since then we've stayed at CBR in a pirate room and loved it
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

We moved once, I just picked up the in-room phone, told them we wanted to leave, they found us a room somewhere else, and we left. Of course this doesn't work if all the other resorts are booked, it's definitely based on availability. Those who read my most recent trip report know we asked about the possibility of moving to another resort in May, but nothing was available. So there is definitely a risk of that happening.

Which value are you booked for? I'd say your chances of moving to any moderate resort during Free Dining is near impossible. The value and moderate resorts book up so fast during that offer. Unless you happened to catch a time when someone has canceled.
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2015, 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
ashearer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post

If this is what you think you would want, I would wait till October discounts one out, and make your changes then, while there would still be availability with discounts rather then wit till you get there.
I booked through Virgin Holidays and have just payed final payment .I dont know if this makes a difference than if I had booked with Disney direct . We have free DDP so don't want to change if this is taken away as there's 5 of us. I have realised that dates coincide with Columbus weekend so there's probably zero chance of changes.(the last 3 night are 13-16 Oct)We are going to Hard Rock for 4 nights after our Disney stay and I wouldn't mind 3 different stays but would need to see how everyone else felt about it.
ashearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
emilymad
DIS Veteran

We tried to do this at AKL a few years ago but they wouldn't let us. My DH was sick and the A/C wouldn't run correctly and it was just making him worse. We would have paid whatever difference in rate their was but the managers at AKL wouldn't release us from the reservation. A lot of different things went wrong with that stay. After we got home I wrote a letter to Disney and the GM at AKL just explaining what happened. In the end Disney refunded us two nights even though we didn't ask for any compensation. I never heard anything back from AKL directly.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
annej

Mouseketeer

We did this a couple of years ago. We checked into a savannah room at AKL and were not happy with the view - straight ahead was a wall etc - had to lean over to see the savannah but it was just Dh and I so we thought ok. But that evening there was a terrible food and animal smell and by morning there was a chemical smell where they were cleaning a small watering hole. We nicely went to the front desk and asked to move to the Poly. They were very accommodating found us a room at the poly and called ahead to let them know we were coming. We were met at the Poly upon our arrival and given a lovely room. It all was handled very smoothly.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD22 DS18DSinLaw:29

annej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Good to know switching is not unheard of.
We are considering a split stay starting with value. We have only done mods. But are looking at poly or CR as second part.

We are not picky and do take the neg value reviews with a grain of salt. But just in case we do a value, and get back luck after bad luck, we would be willing to pay the difference to get out.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: