DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
calleger
Earning My Ears

Buying Multiple Contracts via Resale?

I am 100% certian I am not the first genius to think of this, however, I would like to know if it works.

The resale market for the non-Disney Land/World DVC locations is obviously much weaker than the on property locations. Has anyone tried purchasing the bulk of their points from Vero Beach (for example) and then purchasing a small contract for their perferred DVC resort?

The primary purpose would be to transer all the points from the cheaper contract onto the preferred DVC location when setting up a reservation.

In the end, it really is just pinching pennies. I was wondering if anyone has tried this approach and what the result was.
calleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

I had the same idea when I started my research. I found two issues (up to you if they are deal breakers for you). One - The higher MF times the large block of points will increase your long term costs. Second - the "possibility" Disney could eventually remove the perk of using your points at any resort.

Those were the two potential downfalls I saw. For the money, I would suggest buying at SSR (if price consideration is the major component of your search criteria). The price per point is not "that" much larger than VB, and the MF is substantially smaller (which will over the long haul cover the price per point difference).
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure if you transferred points from your Vero Beach contract to lets say a BWV contract, you would only be able to use the VB points at the 7 month mark. The transferred in points wouldn't magically become BWV points available for use at the 11 month booking window. So the small onsite contract wouldn't really help you any, you'd still have to wait for the 7 month booking window to use the other points.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleger View Post
I am 100% certian I am not the first genius to think of this, however, I would like to know if it works.

The resale market for the non-Disney Land/World DVC locations is obviously much weaker than the on property locations. Has anyone tried purchasing the bulk of their points from Vero Beach (for example) and then purchasing a small contract for their perferred DVC resort?

The primary purpose would be to transer all the points from the cheaper contract onto the preferred DVC location when setting up a reservation.

In the end, it really is just pinching pennies. I was wondering if anyone has tried this approach and what the result was.
I don't think that will work. I believe the transferred points retain the original resort priority and use year when transferred.

Another thing to consider is that while Vero Beach's resale prices are quite low, the maintenance fees are quite high compared to the other resorts. Look here for a history of fees: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823943 If you keep your contract long enough there will come a time where your total outlay for VB will be more than if you purchased a resort on WDW property.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
calleger
Earning My Ears

I think the fees alone would be enough of a turn off. In the end that would be like bending over to pick up pennies while dollars fly over my head.

Thanks for the quick response.
calleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

You would not have to buy onsite small contract at all since any transferred points retain their home resort and UY. You would not be able to book any resort on site until the 7 month mark (except the small onsite contract you are thinking about) which you could do anyway with just VB points. If you did have a small on site contract you would be able to use those points and only those points to book at 11 months out. You could potentially use 3 years worth of onsite points to complete a reservation. Again MF at VB are high.

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Disney has all of the bases covered. Buy where you love to stay.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:

disney was way ahead of you.

if you buy 300 VB pts and 25 BLT pts and want to book BLT at 11 months out...you'll only have access to that 25 pt BLT contract while the VB pts are on the sidelines till the 7 month window.

you can transfer those VB pts or bank them or borrow them...but they are still going to be VB pts and useless for booking anywhere but VB at 11 months out.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)

EDITED FOR DISCLAIMER-- my assumptions on increase may be afield. I did some calculations at VB is only a 4.54% average increase annually... Beach Club is 3.74% and SSR is 2.66%. The general ratio is still accurate though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post
One - The higher MF times the large block of points will increase your long term costs.
This to me is the biggest reason. Long term, the %10-20 the initial amount is only %10-20 the cost of DVC ownership. You'll have matched the upfront cost very quickly in membership fees. Also, I was told that the seaside off resort properties have a higher rate of increase year to year on maintenance fees because of increased weathering due to location.

Estimated maintenance fees with %7 increase per year on Vero Beach at $42 a point for 160 points over the 29 year contract: -$103,565.16

Estimated maintenance fees with %5.5 increase per year on Beach club at $83 a point for 160 points over the 29 year contract: -$61,215.79

Total 29 yr cost to own Vero with those assumptions? -$110,285.16
Total 29 yr cost to own the more expensive Beach Club? -$74,495.79

I could add in SSR but you have to remember there are 12 more years on that contract.

So Total 41 yr costs for SSR (assumption is $60 a point, %3 yearly MF increase because of size and lack of specialty maintenance--i.e. Stormalong Bay for Beach Club)
= -$70,142.63. Less than the BC membership, and with 12 more years.

Mainenancy fees

Quote:
Second - the "possibility" Disney could eventually remove the perk of using your points at any resort.

).
I read this as contractually guaranteed as a part of the point system, at least until the expiration of each resort?

Our Feb '14 Pre-Trip Report - Headed to the Grand Floridian Villas!

Last edited by twinsouvenirs; 07-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post

I read this as contractually guaranteed as a part of the point system, at least until the expiration of each resort?
It's possible Disney could remove one of beach resorts from the club (VB or HHI) if a storm damages them.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you want to book anything but late Jan to mid-Feb (but not MLK holiday), early May, late Aug to mid-Sept, you'll want an onsite resort as your home resort. It is getting harder and harder to book onsite at seven months out unles you don't mind moving around a few nights here and a few nights there and still a few more nights at a third resort.

Buy VB is you want a Beach Cottage or any villa at VB during summer months.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For WDW, the only advantage you'd get would be somewhat cheaper points but higher fees. The long term costs compared to say SSR will almost certainly be higher for HH and much higher for VB and you've given up any chance of an 11 month window. Now if one wants HH or BG, that's a different matter but just to get cheaper points it's not a reasonable choice even if you can find a subsidized VB contract for the cheaper price. If DVC makes sense for anyone and WDW is their focus, just buy the cheapest on property options, almost always SSR when looking big picture.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: