Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Talking Pre Trip Report: The Twelve Days of Disney…..Mama & Ninja’s 2013 Christmas Vacation

Background

I have always wanted to do a trip report but never seemed to have the time during my past trips. We started planning this trip earlier than any others and to help pass the time I have done a lot of crafty projects for the trip, but now I am running out of those and need something to pass the next 5 and a half months. So here I am starting a pre trip report and plan to do a trip report upon our return. There will be a lot to write about J

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.
aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Chapter Links

Reserved for Chapters

Introductions (Post #3)
Schedule (Post #6)
Crafts Intro (Post #7)
Scavenger Hunt Book (Post #8)
Disney Trip Journals (Post #9)
Pressed Penny Money Holders (Post #10)
Photo Hunt Book (Post #11)
Arrival Day Clue Game (Post #12)
Scrapbooking Binder (Post #13)
Matching Tie Dyed Mickey T-shirts (Post #14)
Sweatshirts (Post #15)
Disney Trip Book (Post #16)
Disney Interview #1 (Post #18)
Prepurchased Souvineers (Post #21)
Water Bottles (Post #22)
Bags (Post #23)
Autograph Book (Post #24)
Christmas Presents #1 (Post #25)
Disney Hoodies (Post # 26)
Updated Schedule (Post #27)
Updated Schedule 2 (Post 36)
Christmas Decorations
Planning- Travel, Hotel, Guided Tours, Character Meals, Dining, Special Events
Itinerary

For some reason some of my links stopped working, I tested each after I set them up and then went to do some homework and came back to them not working

Last edited by aidensmom31; 09-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Introductions

Cast of Characters

Me (32, turn 33 right before the trip so over course I will be celebrating my birthday in Disneyland) – I am a single mom of one wonderful 9 year old boy. I have a pretty stressful job working with mental ill people and also am currently going to school full time for my bachelors in Psychology (hoping to be able to go all the way to grad school for it too). I am a HUGE Disney fanatic. I have always loved Disney but my love/obsession grew after taking my son for the first time in 2009. We went to Disney World and Disneyland in 2009 then Disneyland in 2011 and 2012 (twice). This will be our first year being annual passholders. It is also going to be our first trip of 2014, we plan on going back in October before our AP's expire and experience Halloween time with the mouse

Ninja (DS9) – I call him ninja because approximately 5 months after our trip we will be returning to California so that he can take his 1st degree black belt test. He has been doing martial arts since he was 4 years old and loves it. He set the goal to become a black belt about a year after he started and has stuck with it. I am very proud of him. He is also very athletic participating in baseball, basketball and soccer. Soccer seems to be the sport of choice though. Somehow he has become just a big Disney fan as me....I am not sure how it happened

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-10-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

I'm looking forward to following along!

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMarvelStarWars View Post
I'm looking forward to following along!
Thanks I have a lot to add already but photobucket was being evil last night so I had to wait till today to upload my pics I wish I know of another site to use for my photos.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Schedule

Ok so this will be the most days we have spent at a Disney Resort ever (including our one trip to WDW in 2009). So in order to help myself remember all of our plans I have made a basic schedule. I am a pretty organized person and am definitely a planner but in the past I have forgotten or almost forgotten special dining we have had planned so I am putting a stop to that before we even get there this time. I think in the past I just get caught up in the magic and am on So here is the tentative schedule (things may change when it comes time to make reservations):

December 24, 2013 - I get off work at 600am (I work graveyard shift the night before). I plan on having everything packed before this so it will all be ready to go. My parents are watching the kiddo and will have him up getting ready by the time I get off. I will take a quick shower and change then my dad is driving us out to PDX. We will check in, drop our bags off, grab some breakfast and get throw security. Depending on how long it takes to get this done (we are flying Jet Blue and I paid extra for the more leg room seats that comes with the ability to go through the 1st class line at security) we will have some time to just hang out, my son will play with his Ipad and I will probably catch a quick nap next to him . Then we will grab some lunch to take on the plane. We depart at 1119am and arrive at Long Beach Airport at 134pm. Once we land we will grab out checked bags and take a luxury towncar (I decided since this was a special trip to go all out as much as I can and while I love using the shuttle wanted something a little more special and just us) to our hotel Best Western Park Place Inn and Suites. We may be making a grocery stop on the way there too, just depends on what I decide to do. Either way by the time we get to the hotel it should be check in time Depending on when we get to check in we plan to decorate our room for Christmas and let me rest for a little while. Then it is off to the parks We have to activate our AP's, get our photopass plus card and just soak in the fact that we are in DISNEYLAND FOR CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS We will have dinner at Cafe Orleans which has become a tradition for us, ride some rides and enjoy it all but probably not stay up too late.

December 25, 2013 - CHRISTMAS + DISNEYLAND = So far all I have as a definite plan is to have lunch at Blue Bayou with a waterside table.

December 26, 2013 - Fanatasmic Dessert Package, most likely the first showing.

December 27, 2013 - 1st Character Meal, Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel @ 700am (may change the date of this depending on the tour). Discover the Magic Tour (my son really wants to do this and this will be the last year that I think it will be for him).

December 28, 2013 - For this day I have reserved a premium tour with Mouse Expeditions . I know some people like them and some dont but for me it really is ideal. This way I can have one day where I dont have to run for FP's with my son, since it is only me and him we have no runner any other day, we always have to do it together. I would totally do a VIP tour through Disney but I just dont have that kind of money at this time. They will also be holding my spot for the fireworks which is something my son and I have never got to see from a good vantage point .

December 29, 2013 - Nothing scheduled at this time. We may do park time or we may do something else in the area like the wax museum or the tar pits or Universal Studios Hollywood.

December 30, 2013 - Second Charater Meal Surf's Up with Mickey at the Paradise Pier Hotel @ 700am. Holiday Tour Day

December 31, 2013 - Third Character Meal Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn @ 710am. Based on how busy it was when we were at Disneyland in 2011 I am figuring that by 600pm my son and I will have done what we want to and will most likely head out of the park for our fourth Character Meal Goofy's Kitchen dinner. We will take our time and enjoy what characters we can, then hit DTD and then most likely call it an early night. We would just rather be in the parks the next morning then sleeping because we were up so late.

January 1, 2014 - Open to enjoy the parks.

January 2, 2014 - Lunch @ Carthay Circle . Also probably the day we plan on seeing WOC if we do. I am just not sure we want to do it yet.

January 3, 2014 - Open to enjoy the parks.

January 4, 2014 - Last day So far I know for sure that we will eat lunch at Cafe Orleans (this is also a tradition). The towncar picks us up @ 330pm. We will check our bags, grab our dinner and then wait for boarding. We take off @ 605pm and should be home by 828pm.

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Crafts

So like I said in my original post we starting planning this trip earlier than any of our other trips . So it is now approx 5 and 1/2 months away and I need things to do to help pass the time . I did a lot of reading on the disboards, strolling Pinterest, reading blogs, looking on esty for special things, and digging around the interent . I found so much. Some of it I was willing to do myself and some I just decided to save myself from or and buy them made by somebody else. I found so much it was hard to choose and I dont think I am done yet The next several post will be of the crafts I made or purchased for the trip .

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-10-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Scavenger Hunt

(Outside cover of the book)

My son and I have been during the Holiday season before and knew we would be seeing lots of crowds so we decided that we wanted to find something that we could do in the park but that would not require us to stand in long lines. I searched the internet for ideas and found these instructions to a scavenger hunt. I am not a super crafty person but it seemed simple enough, so I started doing research for questions and quests. Read several books, looked online, went through past trip stuff then created all the pages and took it to Office Depot to have them laminate the cover and bind it. All together it cost me maybe $10 .

(Inside the book)

I did one question per page so that there was space to write the answer, attach items collected and put pictures.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Journals

I knew I wanted to do a trip report this time around. I mean we are going for almost two weeks, how could I not? However, I know myself and there is no way I would be able to remember everything and the order it was in so I decided to take a notebook with me and use it during down time or at the end of the day. When I mentioned this to my son he said that he wanted one too. Well now I had to step it up. I didn’t want it to be just a boring old notebook. So I shopped around trying to find something Disney related. But everything I liked just cost too much and I didn’t really want to put that much money into it. So I got on Pinterst, which has become an addictive site for ideas, and found some instructions for turning a boring old composition book into a Disney worthy journal. Total for both books cost me approx $10

My son's book, Mickey Mouse Design

My book, Minnie Mouse Design (I altered the Mickey Mouse design to Minnie because she is my favorite)

Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Pressed Penny Money Holders

So my son and me are big pressed penny collectors . We started it when he when he was little on our beach trips and museum trips and other local trips. Then we started to look for them everywhere we went . On our first visit to WDW our family friend who works there told us how many you could find in the parks and well an obsession was formed . Now it is a must for each trip and we collect money for them all year round. I found a cute idea on the internet for something to hold the money in and keep it separate from my wallet. There were the result . Total cost was approx $5 for all them.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Photo Hunt Book

Reserved for Photo Hunt Book

Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Arrival Day Clue Game

Reserved for Arrival Day Clue Game

Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Scrapbooking Binder

I am a big scarpbooker (Not sure that is even a word ). Especially of my disney trips. But I am horrible at keeping it all organized while on the trip, sometimes losing a piece or it gets ripped . So this time I decided to make something to store all my stuff in and it is something I will be able to reuse in the future . Its still in the process of being put together but I will get a picture up soon.

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-11-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Tie Dyed Mickey T-shirts (Matching)

So I can't remember where I saw one, it may have been someone's trip report on here or pinterest but when I did I knew I had to do them. I found instructions on a blog online but was a little hesitant on doing it myself. I wanted some designs that required a lot of colors and well I could just see myself messing them up and then getting . So I went on Etsy and found this wonderful pair of ladies that do them. It probably cost me more than it would to do it myself but for me it was worth it to have someone else do them . I actually got a purse done for me and a backpack (one of those string ones) for my son too that I will add to this post.

Christmas Day Shirt

2nd T-Shirt. The pink wasnt as bright as I thought it would be but otherwise we like it. My son agreed to wear this design if I let him design his own .

Our favorite!!! Thinking of using it for New Years Eve or Day.

My son's design and our second favorite. We are going to use this one again for Halloween.

And the last one. Well for now atleast.

So I mentioned that I had a purse and backpack sack made too. These are for on the plane. I hate taking any of my good ones on trips so this is perfect. Themed for the trip and easily will fit all my essentials for traveling. The one for my son will easily fit the only "toys" I am allowing to come on our trip and they are plane only

My Purse

My son's Bag

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Sweatshirts

So after I found the tie dye shirts I decided I needed to find a couple sweatshirts. We were blessed with awesome weather on each of our previous trips but at night it would cool down quite a bit so I knew we would need something. Plus we are leaving and coming back to pretty cold weather

The first one I found was from another Etsy seller . I wanted something matching and a dark color.

Front

Back

The next one is just a little something cute for myself. I loved the saying

Last edited by aidensmom31; 07-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: