Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Babsy
DIS Veteran

would you book the Poly in Nov? Construction woes?

I am wondering about the construction of the Polynesian Villas that will be starting up this year. We are going to be in WDW for the weekend of Nov 9. Does anyone have any information as to where the location of the villas is expected to be and to what degree you can expect noise/disruptions from construction in early November?

We will be travelling with an infant (10 months) and small child (3 years) so will be at the resort for naps and pool time in the middle of the day, so construction could potentially have a huge impact on our stay. If we were expecting to be in theme parks all day long, it wouldn 't bother me, but this time I am concerned.

All that said, the Poly is usually the resort that I would pick for convenience with small children and returning frequently from the MK. I have stayed at the GF and CR as well and I like them both. However, son and daughter in law are less thrilled about these options, so I doubt that we will stay at either of these.

Bottom line: should we book a room at the POLY and take our chances on construction issues or just decide to stay in an Epcot resort such as the YC/BC?

OR do you have a compelling argument to persuade son and DIL to stay at one of the other monorail resorts?

PLease help. It is often easier to see what someone else should do than to decide what you need to do yourself. I am just too close to all this to see the big picture.

TIA
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
I am wondering about the construction of the Polynesian Villas that will be starting up this year.
Since every thing that you have seen relative to DVC at the Poly is rumor and not supported by anything official from Disney do you really want to alter your plans until there is actual evidence of any construction?

Even if the rumors turn out to be partially true it is highly unlikely that there would be any major work being done in Nov that you would even notice. Since any DVC construction at the Poly would most likely start in the area where the Luau currently is you could just request the Tahiti longhouse as it is the farthest away from that area.

Don't forget that even officially planned and announced construction/refurbishment/maintenance actions can end up being delayed. There were people that changed their reservations due to the Volcano pool being scheduled for maintenance back in March, that maintenance did not happen and now is scheduled to be done in September.

BTW, you can currently make reservations for the Luau for December.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
Even if the rumors turn out to be partially true it is highly unlikely that there would be any major work being done in Nov that you would even notice. Since any DVC construction at the Poly would most likely start in the area where the Luau currently is you could just request the Tahiti longhouse as it is the farthest away from that area.

Don't forget that even officially planned and announced construction/refurbishment/maintenance actions can end up being delayed.
I agree. The Poly is just now in the middle of redoing all of the longhouses and I'm not sure how many are done vs how many are left to do, but I agree that I don't think anything major will be going on in November. We are staying at the Poly for a couple of nights in December right before Christmas and I haven't thought twice about the possible construction as I don't think it will be in full swing by that time (but if by chance it is, it wouldn't bother us and we would still stay there ).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Babsy
DIS Veteran

THank you, both!

OK, that does make me feel better. We are still fairly unsettled about where to stay, but at least I can still keep the Poly in the running. It is especially helpful to know that the luau area is likely where the villas will be situated

I usually kind of know where I want to stay on any given trip. However, THIS TIME With the grandchildren going (and our adult kids) somehow where we should stay seems much more confusing.

With your reassurances, I believe that I am back to thinking the Poly for the first 4 nights and then the YC/BC for the last 3 nights.

Now, if I could only decide for certain that we don't want to rent DVC points to stay in a villa.... and if we could decide whether or not to move from Poly to Epcot area........decisions, decisions.....
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

All the longhouses should be completed by early October, and any "rumored" construction won't start until January the earliest.
peteykirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

I thought they would wait until the GF points are sold out before starting the Poly villas?
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, that does make me feel better. We are still fairly unsettled about where to stay, but at least I can still keep the Poly in the running. It is especially helpful to know that the luau area is likely where the villas will be situated

I usually kind of know where I want to stay on any given trip. However, THIS TIME With the grandchildren going (and our adult kids) somehow where we should stay seems much more confusing.

With your reassurances, I believe that I am back to thinking the Poly for the first 4 nights and then the YC/BC for the last 3 nights.

Now, if I could only decide for certain that we don't want to rent DVC points to stay in a villa.... and if we could decide whether or not to move from Poly to Epcot area........decisions, decisions.....
I know how hard it is to choose a resort with so many great options.....LOL. With that said, you couldn't have picked better resorts to do a split, IMO. The Poly is awesome (it's our favorite resort for many reasons) and the BC/YC in the Epcot area is great. I think splitting between a MK resort and Epcot resort is the best of both worlds .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Smile Thanks again!

Thank you Peteykirch! That is exactly the sort of news that I was hoping to hear!

AKJMOM: That sounds like a sensible plan to me, but I don't know how Disney proceeds with DVC sales/plans.

Mickeynut1: LOL!!! My head is swimming in confusion! So many options and great choices! Hey, it's Disney after all. Planning is half the fun! This trip will be fantastic I know, wherever we end up staying. But I have to obsess over the trip planning. It's part of who I am! LOL! I do agree with you too, and I thank you for chiming in with your opinion - a split stay between the MK and Epcot area resorts with the Poly and YC/BC is an ultimate Disney stay. Thank you so much for your support. It gets so confusing that I tend to forget the simple facts that I should know!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mickeynut1: LOL!!! My head is swimming in confusion! So many options and great choices! Hey, it's Disney after all. Planning is half the fun! This trip will be fantastic I know, wherever we end up staying. But I have to obsess over the trip planning. It's part of who I am! LOL! I do agree with you too, and I thank you for chiming in with your opinion - a split stay between the MK and Epcot area resorts with the Poly and YC/BC is an ultimate Disney stay. Thank you so much for your support. It gets so confusing that I tend to forget the simple facts that I should know!
You're welcome.....glad I could help . Don't feel bad about obsessive planning......I do the same thing, especially when I plan far ahead . I find my head spinning sometimes and the more I think about it, the more confused I get....LOL. You are going to have a fabulous trip .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: