Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you enjoy/look forward to most about a repositioning cruise?
Different Ports of Call/Itinerary 44 38.26%
Variety of entertainment 14 12.17%
More opportunities to dine at Palo 8 6.96%
More Sea Days 84 73.04%
New and different dinner menus 20 17.39%
More interaction with cast and characters 19 16.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #226
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
Um, I would enjoy Thor as our captain.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #227
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

The Pacific Ocean!

We were out of the Miraflores lock at 3:51pm (took an hour to go through the last lock). And we began our Pacific sea voyage at 4:55pm.

funny, I don't feel any higher than I did in the Atlantic

our pilot boat finally leaves us

jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #228
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Quote:
Um, I would enjoy Thor as our captain.

Ummhmm

I CANNOT wait to do this cruise in reverse. Only downside is no Castaway

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #229
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
bridge over the river kwai? Lol
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #230
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

Quote:

I haven't been on the DIS much lately so it is only now that I finally have a chance to follow your wonderful trip report again! Also, this is the first time ever that I have spotted myself in someone's trip report - in the corner in the pool, enjoying those great Typhoon Lagoon-like waves!

Now on to catching up with the rest of your report ...

EDIT (later after reading the rest of the report): Thank you for posting all those great pictures of the Panama Canal crossing! We were a bit further back during Gatun Locks (didn't arrive on deck 10m until 5.15 ... which was definitely too late, as I know now! ).

After Gatun Locks, deck 10 really emptied out almost totally and we spent hours there, from the lake crossing up until the torrential rain started falling just before passing Culebra Cut.
I had actually intended to stay out in the rain, but had to change my mind and flee after 3 seconds of it because I almost drowned in the rain

Oh, and your pictures of Captain Fabian right after "the bump" are really priceless! (I loved how cruise director Jimmy kept giving him a hard time about that at every opportunity for the rest of the cruise)

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)
2015: Eastbound Transatlantic (Magic, 15 nights)

Last edited by annichan; 07-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.
annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #231
NYcruiser
Earning My Ears

We cruised Panama Canal with Disney too and loved it!
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas August 2009
NCL Pride of America Hawaii August 2010
Holland America ms Westerdam Februrary 2011
NCL Epic Februrary 2012
Disney Fantasy Februrary 2014
NYcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #232
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
I haven't been on the DIS much lately so it is only now that I finally have a chance to follow your wonderful trip report again! Also, this is the first time ever that I have spotted myself in someone's trip report - in the corner in the pool, enjoying those great Typhoon Lagoon-like waves!

Now on to catching up with the rest of your report ...

EDIT (later after reading the rest of the report): Thank you for posting all those great pictures of the Panama Canal crossing! We were a bit further back during Gatun Locks (didn't arrive on deck 10m until 5.15 ... which was definitely too late, as I know now! ).

After Gatun Locks, deck 10 really emptied out almost totally and we spent hours there, from the lake crossing up until the torrential rain started falling just before passing Culebra Cut.
I had actually intended to stay out in the rain, but had to change my mind and flee after 3 seconds of it because I almost drowned in the rain

Oh, and your pictures of Captain Fabian right after "the bump" are really priceless! (I loved how cruise director Jimmy kept giving him a hard time about that at every opportunity for the rest of the cruise)
Thanks for posting! So funny that I caught you in the pool. Last year my trip report from the Fantasy caught another DIS board reader by surprise. I had taken a photo in the concierge lounge of an adorable baby that was interacting with Minnie Mouse all by herself - her parents were nearby, but not looking at the baby, instead handling their toddler and older children. I posted that I probably shouldn't take photos of a stranger's baby, but I couldn't resist not capturing this adorable moment. And the mom was just reading along on my trip report some months later and was so surprised she posted "that's my baby"! She loved the photo and I sent it to her in a larger format. I think it's so funny that I caught another reader this year! Thanks for following and for sharing your memories as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYcruiser View Post
We cruised Panama Canal with Disney too and loved it!
Nice
Old 07-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #233
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day 7 evening

Before dinner, DSis and I went to the main theater to see Iron Man 3 in 3D, which was the stage performance that night. I have to share a little story from that... The cruise staff stand at the entrances to the theater passing out 3D glasses to guests as they enter the theater. The family behind us start to talk just as the movie begins and everyone is told to put on their 3D glasses. One of the older men in the group starts yelling to the others that he doesn't have glasses and says "where'd ya get them there glasses?". The family member next to him, behind me, yells back "yah old coot, you're sittin' on 'em." Then the woman the clan behind us called "Maw maw" announces to everyone she doesn't need the 3D glasses - "it looks the same with them on and with them off!" DSis and I could NOT stop giggling!

Now on to dinner -

Panama Canal menu in Parrot Cay

"Steamed Crab Royale" the lunch version was better

Baked Lobster Tail

Lobster Tail de-shelled by Patryk

Prime Rib

Butter Pecan Sundae

Tonight for dinner, it was just DSis and me since our parents were exhausted from getting up at 3am. They had dinner earlier at Beach Blanket where it is a menu and table service for dinner.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 07-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #234
speedo
Mouseketeer

Day 7 Navigator

Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #235
speedo
Mouseketeer

T-Shirts

Throughout the cruise in the stores they sold a special panama canal cruise t-shirt. I think we said before on the first night there was a bit of panic to buy these shirts since there were not many out but they definitely had more than enough as we saw them in the store through the last night.

On the actual day we went through the Panama they sold another t-shirt that was only available that day. This was done at a booth by the Goofy Pool. This was the only time I saw this t-shirt for sale - it was special for the panama canal crossing also but a different design than the one they sold throughout the cruise.

We got suckered into buying both t-shirts. I do like the first t-shirt but the second one that they sold only on the panama canal day is not as nice. The material is thinner and I don't like the design as much. Personally it seems like they knew it wasn't such a great t-shirt but created buzz for it by making it available only on the canal crossing day.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #236
NHshorty
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaaaaah View Post
Thank you for the detailed and picture-blessed trip report! I just booked the Castaway Cay double dip cruise and this is helping to refresh my memory of "our" original Disney ship. Gonna be a long wait, but this type of trip report helps.
We also just booked the double dip for next October!
NHshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #237
NHshorty
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your amazing trip report!!!!! Now I know I have to do this cruise!!!!!
NHshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #238
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day 8 Sea day with dolphins

Day 7's Panama Canal experience was definitely the highlight of the trip and exceeded our expectations. So you can't expect too much excitement the next morning, but... I woke up about 6 am (sleeping in compared to yesterday!) and stepped out on the verandah.

It was a beautiful morning - and peaceful as the rest of my family were all still in bed. I noticed in the distance what I thought was dolphins and I yelled in to DSis to wake up and then went over to my parent's windows and nocked on theirs until I finally heard rumbling. I also grabbed my camera, which initially kept fogging up on me - going from the air conditioned state room to the more humid outside. The room next door to my parents also came out to take photos of the dolphins.

At first they were a ways off, but there seemed to be such a large number of them.

After a while they started to come right next to the ship

DSis got some great shots - this is when we started to really tease her about being a wildlife photographer

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #239
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHshorty View Post
Thanks so much for your amazing trip report!!!!! Now I know I have to do this cruise!!!!!
Excited for your upcoming cruise! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #240
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day 8 - Breakfast

So how do you break away from dolphins and a beautiful morning on your verandah? You send Dad to forage for baked goods. And you have him pop open a bottle of champagne they brought onboard for a special occasion.

Here's our breakfast:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: