Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
cforsythe
Mouseketeer
 
cforsythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 209

Deb, I love your report. I really appreciate all of the details about the DCL excursions.

I am currently booked for "The Best of Rome" tour. Did you hear anything about this excursion? After reading your experience on the one you did, I am considering changing. My only drawback is that your tour did not do the Sistine Chapel and I really would like to see that.

Any help you could give would be appreciated!
__________________
SSR Grand Villa 12/19-12/24/07
PC 08/28-09/02/06,POR 06/02/06-06/10/06
Offsite April 2005
Cruising Western 08/28/04-09/04/04
cforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraptographer View Post
Colour me impressed that you have been doing so much extra work to find photos when yours are not available in order to enhance our reading and viewing pleasure . And sorry to hear about your computer. From my perspective it is better to lose a computer than your trip photos!
Finally had a chance to download some pictures. I've put some of our actual shots in, and I'll add more over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforsythe View Post
Deb, I love your report. I really appreciate all of the details about the DCL excursions.

I am currently booked for "The Best of Rome" tour. Did you hear anything about this excursion? After reading your experience on the one you did, I am considering changing. My only drawback is that your tour did not do the Sistine Chapel and I really would like to see that.

Any help you could give would be appreciated!
Thanks for reading!

I think I looked at the Best of Rome tour, but I think I chose the Jumping Back to Eternal Rome over it because of the price. The Best of Rome includes lunch (we tend to be light lunchers), and I think did not include the Pantheon, which we really wanted to see. I would have liked to see the Sistine Chapel too, but there just was not enough time on this tour, with all the other things we did.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa

Last edited by Deb in IA; 07-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #33
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Her husband was a big shot banker, and once, at a fancy holiday party, cousin decided that she was going to drink the "big girl champagne" and not the bubbly water or ginger ale. Not long after drinking a single champagne flute, she was in the bathroom, violently barfing up hors d'oeuves.

She's never tried any more alcohol after that.
Oh how horrible! Poor her!! Maybe she can't metabolize it at all. Poor thing...

I try not to use the Prevacid too often (maybe twice a year), b/c obviously it's not good to mix that stuff.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
McDonald5
Mouseketeer
 
McDonald5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 135

OK, please forgive the stupid question. But when you say "adults only departure" are you saying that only you and your husband CHOSE to get off the ship? Or do you mean that only adults are ALLOWED off the ship? We'd like to do a Med cruise in 10 years (yes, a long time from now, I know) when the kids are 14, 16 & 18 but you have me a bit worried that they wouldn't be allowed off the ship. I only even ask b/c one of your posts says "adults only departure" but it has a picture of your daughter in it... Ok, thanks and sorry if that's a silly question.
__________________
DH, DW(Me), DD9, DD7, DS5

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #35
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5 View Post
OK, please forgive the stupid question. But when you say "adults only departure" are you saying that only you and your husband CHOSE to get off the ship? Or do you mean that only adults are ALLOWED off the ship? We'd like to do a Med cruise in 10 years (yes, a long time from now, I know) when the kids are 14, 16 & 18 but you have me a bit worried that they wouldn't be allowed off the ship. I only even ask b/c one of your posts says "adults only departure" but it has a picture of your daughter in it... Ok, thanks and sorry if that's a silly question.
No worries!

All cruisers are allowed off the ship!

To Disney, anyone 18 and older is "adult".

Some of the excursions are listed as "adult only departure". That just means that no one in that tour is under 18. There are usually similar tours that don't have that designation, and that usually means there will be kids.

We knew that we were on some long excursions, and while we love kids, we know that sometimes, especially the younger ones, get tired and cranky, so when he had the option, we picked the adult departures.

Hope that answers your question!
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa

Last edited by Deb in IA; 07-11-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #36
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh
 
keenercam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 10,457

Deb - I LOVED your trip report. Thank you so much!!!! Your embarkation photo is just wonderful! You must be so happy to have all these wonderful memories of this amazing trip with your family.
__________________
I married the love of my life all over again on 1/12/09 Click here for Our Disney Vow Renewal planning journal --Wedding TR starts p.98
keenercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
McDonald5
Mouseketeer
 
McDonald5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
No worries!

All cruisers are allowed off the ship!

To Disney, anyone 18 and older is "adult".

Some of the excursions are listed as "adult only departure". That just means that no one in that tour is under 18. There are usually similar tours that don't have that designation, and that usually means there will be kids.

We knew that we were on some long excursions, and while we love kids, we know that sometimes, especially the younger ones, get tired and cranky, so when he had the option, we picked the adult departures.

Hope that answers your question!
Yes it does! Thanks!
__________________
DH, DW(Me), DD9, DD7, DS5

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #38
cforsythe
Mouseketeer
 
cforsythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 209

Hilton Diagonal

Deb How did you like the hotel where you stayed? We are staying there 1 night before our cruise in August.

What time was your room ready?

How did you know what time your transfers to the ship were going to be with DCL transfters?
Thanks,
Charleen
__________________
SSR Grand Villa 12/19-12/24/07
PC 08/28-09/02/06,POR 06/02/06-06/10/06
Offsite April 2005
Cruising Western 08/28/04-09/04/04
cforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #39
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforsythe View Post
Deb How did you like the hotel where you stayed? We are staying there 1 night before our cruise in August.

What time was your room ready?

How did you know what time your transfers to the ship were going to be with DCL transfters?
Thanks,
Charleen
Hi Charleen!

The Hilton was fine - very clean and modern. Friendly people, they all speak English pretty well. Lots of Americans guests, too.

I think it is designed to cater more to business-types, because they have a small-ish restaurant but many large conference rooms.

And I wish they had American-type rooms, so that we didn't have to get 2 rooms for the 4 of us.

But they do have an outdoor pool and fitness area, and a courtyard.

As for the transfers, just check in at the Disney Hospitality Desk in the Lobby of the hotel. They will give you your tickets for the bus and time it leaves for the port.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #40
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
Deb - I LOVED your trip report. Thank you so much!!!! Your embarkation photo is just wonderful! You must be so happy to have all these wonderful memories of this amazing trip with your family.
Thanks!

DH and I are very fortunate that our "kids" still want to go on Disney vacations with us.

I guess we raised them right!

LOVE your wedding pictures in your sig, by the way!
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #41
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Hi Deb

I'm only up to Rome so far, but I had to comment.

Your bus broke? And you had to walk from the Piazza Navono near the Pantheon TO the Vatican? In the heat! I would have taken the guide's Mickey- hand paddle, hopped in a cab and said "See you all at the Vatican"

You guys are such troopers....your day sounded amazing and we had been considering this tour when planning our cruise. It was nice to read about it.

I also didn't know that there was a crab/shellfish Art of Entertaining with wine pairing. I never make it to those. It's hard to pry my small children away from the characters as we walk past them in the Atrium. Sounds delicious!!

Edited to add: I looked up the distance from Piazza Navona to the Vatican....I guess it isn't as far as I remembered it to be

Last edited by lilpooh108; 07-13-2013 at 02:43 AM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #42
ame
Addicted to travel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by cforsythe View Post
Deb How did you like the hotel where you stayed? We are staying there 1 night before our cruise in August.

What time was your room ready?

How did you know what time your transfers to the ship were going to be with DCL transfters?
Thanks,
Charleen
Great trip report Deb! I love reading about it from different people's perspectives.

We left the ship at 9:30 and got a cab to the Hilton. We waited about 45 minutes to check in. There were two people checking people in and a separate line for those checking out with two people manning that side. There were a lot of stressed people in both queues. The people checking out were mostly headed to the ship and worried about their bus.

The hotel was modern and clean, but we did have to chase them up on a fold out bed as one of rooms only had bedding for two people. The fold out didn' even fit into the allocated room and we had to put in our other room (we had 2 rooms, family with 4 kids).

a mall across the road with supermarket, food places, Zara and H & M
ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
RonningFamilyCrusin
Earning My Ears
 
RonningFamilyCrusin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 58

Deb in IA lovely trip report. Enjoyed your detail, pictures and stories. I am from South Dakota so I can relate to having to drive a substantial distance to a regional airport, then fly to an international airport, then fly over seas, just to get on the ship. Take care!
__________________
RonningFamilyCrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonningFamilyCrusin View Post
Deb in IA lovely trip report. Enjoyed your detail, pictures and stories. I am from South Dakota so I can relate to having to drive a substantial distance to a regional airport, then fly to an international airport, then fly over seas, just to get on the ship. Take care!
Thanks for reading!

Yes, we are in the wrong part of the country to be cruise fans, aren't we? I fantasize about how much easier this would be if we lived, say, in Port Canaveral . . .
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: