Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
southlakejr
Mouseketeer

Best resort for 2 adults?

So, DH and I are tentatively planning our first WDW trip for the end of January/beginning of February 2014. We are DL vets, but this is our first time visiting WDW together. DH went about 12 years ago with his family, so he really wasn't in charge of planning anything. I visited MK for one day about 15 years ago, so we're pretty much newbies.

We are trying to be as balanced with the budget as we can be, especially since we are likely to pay 750 or more in airfare alone from CA. We know that we want to stay on site, but we're not sure if we should stay in a moderate or a value. As nice as the deluxes seem, I just don't know that either one of us are wanting to spend that much money on just a place to sleep!

So, here is a bit about us, based partially on our DL trips:

We are big park people, and frequently sleep in a little and then stay the rest of the day until the park closes.

We stay at a pretty low end hotel in DL, since we tend to go multiple times a year with APs.

Unless it is free or offered at kid's prices, we will not have the dining plan.

We don't have children. DH works with ED children for his everyday job, and prefers to be a way from them a bit more on his time off.

I'm assuming we will not be spending much pool time (or any) based on the weather for our stay. We might visit a hot tub, but have never used the one at our resort near DL.

This may be our only WDW trip, or at least for several years ( see above reference to $$$ airfare) Especially since we are just a 6 hour drive from DL.

Where would you suggest we stay? On the one hand, I'm torn because the values are so much cheaper, and we really don't spend that much time in the room. On the other hand, the theming of the values is certainly geared more towards those with kiddos. DH LOVES New Orleans Square in DL, so part of me leans towards POFQ, but I'm not sure that the increased price really justifies it, since it seems like the amenities are nearly identical between the two. While we don't need to go budget-budget cheap on this trip, saving that much a day would make us more likely to try TS restaurants or other experiences.

I guess my question is really if there is enough of a difference between a value and a moderate to really be worth spending more? Thoughts? Are we going to hate the values as adults?
southlakejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this, but I personally would not stay in a value for an adults only trip, especially given the information you provided. I would go with POFQ or POR. They are both lovely and you can take a boat to DTD which is really nice as well. Given the dates you are contemplating, your chances of getting a discount are pretty good. I would choose the room you want now, book it and then keep your eye out for the discounts!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
goteamSy
Mouseketeer

We stay away from the value's for the exact reasons you mentioned. Go mod for sure!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamSy View Post
We stay away from the value's for the exact reasons you mentioned. Go mod for sure!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

The values do not have hot tubs. My vote would absolutely be for POFQ. I think it's perfect for the type of trip you are looking for.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Definitely POFQ!!!!

You will love it there, for all the reasons already listed. Also, they have a nice carriage ride.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

POFQ - we love it. It's affordable for us, theming is great, jazz music piped in, fountains, boat to DTD.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamSy View Post
Us too! I think you'd be much, much happier at one of the Port Orleans resorts.

And a belated Welcome to the Dis!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
flamark
Mouseketeer

POFQ sounds like just what you're looking for. Don't forget about the carriage rides either. Another neat feature of POFQ.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

From one Disneyland-er to another here is my advice-

If you regularly stay on Harbor Blvd in Disneyland, every hotel in WDW (even the values) will seem like PARADISE! They are so themed and beautiful and you get all the wonderful Disney magic.

Also keep in mind that while at Disneyland you never swim- a) because the harbor blvd pools are nothing special, and b) because Disneyland people tend to prefer park time vs. resort time.- however while in WDW you will want time to enjoy your resort. If you go and spend all your time at the parks you will be sad that you missed out on enjoying a leisurely stroll trough the grounds of your hotel and a dip in the pool. We swam at our hotel in December, so you never know about the weather!

I highly recommend POR or CSR. We stayed in both on our honeymoon and loved both. Since your husband likes New Orleans Square I would suggest POR, plus they have a ferry boat to Downtown Disney which is nice, and you can go see Yee-ha Bob! I think the food options are better at CSR though, but it sounds like you guys will be at the parks during eating hours anyway.

Have FUN planning!

PS. Don't forget to plan time to ride the monorail and explore the Deluxe resorts. It is so fun to do and is something that shouldn't be missed for a Disneyland-er, it really shows the differences between the two areas.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

I would stay in one of the Port Orleans Resorts! It sounds perfect for what you're looking for! Have fun! They're is also a boat to Downtown Disney!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
mrslur
Mouseketeer

My DH and I have stayed at values, moderates and deluxe and we still love POFQ. We are heading there again this September for a week stay. I'm a native southern Californian and I will tell you that I was completely overwhelmed by the size of WDW on my first trip as compared to DL. You will definitely want some down time at your resort.
mrslur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
pixieprincess72
Making Magical Memories

Definitely POFQ, I think you and DH will love it!! Seems like just what you're looking for.
Offsite (March 2005) WL (July 2006) GF (July 2007) YC (May 2008) Disneyland (March 2009) YC (June 2011) Offsite (April 2012) BC/Swan (April 2013) CSR (May 2013) AoA (Sept 2013) POR (Oct 2013) POP & WL (NYE 2013-14) COMING SOON: VGF & AKV (May 2014)

pixieprincess72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: