Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Yes, do join both the owners forum (forums.atozed.com) and TUG (www.tug2.net). Be forewarned that the forums at both locations can be a little negative---every time Wyndham makes some change to e.g. the VIP program, or how Wyndham works in RCI, you'd think that they'd killed everyone's puppy.
In some ways very much like the DIS. We own RCI and love it. There are lots of places to stay in Orlando - I use TripAdviser a lot - but again ta lot of the reviews tend to be negative over petty issues. Just another resource. We have stayed at Star Island, Polynesian Isles and Cypress Palms in addition to Bonnet Creek - all nice places to stay.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Exclamation Renting Points

We are in kind of a special situation. Even tough we own through RCI we always us those points at our home resort in the Berkshires. We love going there.

I am retired military, so when we go elsewhere, mostly to Disney, we rent through Armed Forces Vacation Club. No fees, no maintenance - nothing else. And there are other similar sites not affiliated with the military. I'm sorry though that I don't know what they are - I've never had to look. We are going to Disney for 4 weeks in the fall - $300/week plus taxes which ends up being $43/night. Selection is sometimes limited and some of the resort choices are not the best but there are several good ones. Regular price now is $349/week and there are more available at increased rates.

In the past 3 years we have stayed 7 weeks at Wyndham/RCI resorts in Orlando using this site and have had 7 good weeks of vacation. We have stayed in other places too but Orlando is still our favorite. Not a bad deal.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
AeroKU
Mouseketeer

My Father In Law owns Wyndham points. I'm curious as to what happens when he dies. Does his estate owe anything in regards to maintenance fees? Does his contract with them just end? He isn't sure how that works, so I told him I'd ask here.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKU View Post
My Father In Law owns Wyndham points. I'm curious as to what happens when he dies. Does his estate owe anything in regards to maintenance fees? Does his contract with them just end? He isn't sure how that works, so I told him I'd ask here.
Wyndham contracts are deeded, So it would be handled just like any other deeded property.

Someplace like TUG or the Wyndham's Owners forum might have people more familiar with the specifics on how Wyndham handles such situations. He can also (or you on his behalf,) contact Wyndham directly and inquire about what their requirements and procedures are. I believe that inheriting the contract may be the only way Wyndham will waive the transfer fees or allow you to keep any VIP status or eligibility on the points.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #35
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
Based on my family's usage, I've found that renting timeshares is cheaper than owning them -- even when you can buy one for $1. Remember, as an owner you are committing to a lifetime of maintenance and other fees.
Owning a TS has given us access to deals we wouldn't have been able to use otherwise, so I don't think it's always true that renting is cheaper than owning. I suspect it's generally true, though.

Owning is more convenient and carries a different kind of risk. The main risk with owning is being unable to get rid of the ownership when or if you can't use it; the risks with renting are that the unit isn't what you expected in an ugly way, or the owner didn't make the reservation properly, or otherwise a problem on vacation.

Plus owning forces you to take vacations or waste your maintenance fees, and some of need that boot to get vacations on the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKU View Post
His estate will be responsible for the maintenance fees, and a good estate lawyer will do his level best to move that TS right out of there. When there's no real estate to pay the money out, and no one in the family wants the TS, some people just walk away from it and hope the TS developer/points company will reclaim the thing.

I would ask on TUG or Timeshare Forums for people's experience with Wyndham, but the general rule is that the estate is supposed to take up that responsibility. Some Timeshares do have an end point (DVC contracts do), and a lot of particular resorts have a contract somewhere that has the owners vote to continue on a particular date (and if they vote to continue, the bills will keep coming in whether than was how you voted or not). But generally, timeshares aren't for life; they're for eternity!

Last edited by shalom; 07-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #36
Cdn Gal
DIS Veteran

We LOVE owning at Bonnet Creek (resale of course!). We have saved lots of $$ by purchasing and since the only time we can travel is at high season, we have already saved tons of money by owning rather than by renting. I would highly recommend anybody considering to purchase to look on TUG and to do a lot of research before committing to anything. I tracked the resale prices for 6 years before we finally tool the plunge. We haven't looked back yet and have only had terrific experiences so far with the Wyndham resorts!