Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that the Nescafe coffee that is currently served in the restaurants and provided in the rooms is going away. They announced over a month ago that Joffreys will be taking over as the coffee provider in the parks and resorts. No date announced yet for this.

For the OP- If you will visit before this big changeover occurs, I'd recommend bringing your own mini coffeemaker, filters and coffee. Oh- and bottled water (yes, it makes a HUGE difference to the way the coffee tastes). Once in the parks, you can get pretty good coffee, but you have to look for it. Allears.net has a list of kiosks and restaurants with good coffee.
I mentioned it!

It's already popping up at kiosks before the gates and in the park. Had it several times. It's roughly $3.50 for a cup of coffee. Only 1 size.

Nescafé wasn't in the room, but it sure was at QS and TS still.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #17
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Here is the info on coffee at the resort from the FAQ thread. Definitely read the second question. I haven't seen anyone mention the Ale & Compass option for a real cup of coffee.

If you haven't been over, I invite you to check it out. The first page has a lot of detailed information and loads of pictures about the resorts. If you have any questions, you can ask and the posters who hang out there will try to help you!

Click on the link in my signature.

What kind of coffeemakers are in the resort rooms?

As of October 2011, the drip coffee makers in the BC and YC resort rooms were replaced.

The regular resort rooms and club level rooms (including Deluxe Rooms) now have the Cuisinart Double Pod Machines:

Thanks for the photos Rorey, Cinderumbrella and MickeyT!

Here is what I believe are in the rooms currently. Anyone who has been there more recently, please correct this info if it is wrong:

All regular (non-club level) rooms: Cuisinart Pods

All standard club level rooms, all views (standard meaning non-suite), including Deluxe Club Level Rooms: Cuisinart Pods

Suites (1 BR, 2 BR, VP, Presidential Suites): Keurig K-cup

Beach Club Villas- Mr. Coffee-type makers (4 cup for studio, 10 cup for 1BR, 2BR)

I think this applies to both BC and YC- again, let me know if I am wrong!

I don't "do" Nescrape! Is there anyplace at the resort where I can get a REAL cup of coffee???

REAL COFFEE ALERT!!!

Ale and Compass is located just off the Yacht Club Lobby.

In the morning, breakfast items are available like a DECENT cup of coffee and tea, pastries, an assortment of cereal and fruit. This location also serves as a refill station for your refillable mug until 11 or noon.

Ale and Compass Menu

Ale and Compass Continental Breakfast Photos

Thanks, MickeyT and Nicki in NJ
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
butternut
Earning My Ears

Will the Melitta round coffee pods fit in the cuisinart trays? I am thinking of buying them at home and replacing theirs with them > Does anyone know if that will work? Thanks
butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

For those of us dealing with the coffee woes at Disney….The Joffrey’s conversion is welcomed, but also consider the water. If you can’t stand the water at WDW then try using bottled or filtered water in the coffee maker. It may be the reason your “home” coffee still tastes bad at WDW. We use the Britta bottles and filter the water for our in-room coffee pod brewing. Just a tip for those who haven’t tried it.

Mike

Mike DW DS (5 ) DMIL

First visit 1976, Pre-2010 too many off sites to remember, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Funny you should post this, I went to Disney Jan 2012 with hubby (and DS) and while we both like coffee and generally drink it everymorning we don't HAVE to have it. Most morning we got a cup at foodcourt (we stayed value) and while it sucked it was still do able for up.

My upcoming trip is in june with my sister (and again DS) and her 1 requirement for hotel/resort was coffee. So we are staying Mod just so she can have a coffee pot lol...

We are happy about Joffy and it will be nice not to have to make the walk to the foodcourt...
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I'm one of those people who needs to have quality coffee and packs my coffee maker for trips.

The coffee makers in the room with the Cuisinart systems accept a coffee pod. Coffee pods are generally cheaper than k-cups, and are available in a wide array of quality coffees; however, you will generally not find coffee pods on sale at your local grocery store or BB&B. Your best bet is to order them ahead of time from an internet source (and don't worry--they won't take up a lot of room in your luggage). I might recommend you do a search for "coffee pod" on Google to find distributors. Fratello coffee pods are some of the best out of there and regularly win awards. (Yes, I am a coffee snob.)

My issue with in-room coffee is that I don't think the coffee makers are used regularly, and in the last room I was in, mine tasted like burnt plastic (which I have encountered many times before with new Cuisinart coffee makers that I've owned). If it's been used before, I don't think you'll have this problem. If it hasn't, I'd recommend running some vinegar through the system a few times before you use it.

Since we are flying, I'm not taking my coffee maker with me and I'm not going to be able to take vinegar on the plane either (and I doubt I can buy it at the resort store), but I am planning to take coffee pods with me. However, if the coffee maker stinks and I can't get the burnt plastic taste out of the maker, there is a stroller rental & grocery delivery company in the Orlando area that also rents Keurig coffee makers for $20-30 depending on how long you'll be there (or about the cost of 6 disgusting Disney "coffees"). That's my Plan B if the Joffrey coffee hasn't been completely rolled out and if I don't like it. (It's been 4 years since I had it last--I don't remember being impressed.)
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Love the suggestions . . .

Thanks to all for the coffee tips. I used to have a pod brewer at my office that stopped working and I have a lot of pods left. I think I'll bring a bag of them when we drive down in May. Our last trip to the World we rented a vacation home because there was five of us and it was cost effective (very nice accommodations BTW). We had an honest to goodness coffee maker and real fresh coffee. In May were staying at POR. I remember on our previous trips on-property, being desperate for a REAL cup of coffee.

We're driving, so I'll pack an extra flat of bottled water, and it's not that far to the Super Target if we run low.

Does anyone know, do they have microwaves in the rooms at POR?

SkywayGuy
SkywayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Sue M
DIS Veteran

No microwaves in the rooms at POR, but they have one or 2 in the food court.

coffee
As Natebenma says, the coffee is now Cusinart Pods, better IMO then the Nescafe.
In addition to good coffee at Ale & Compass you can find:
Kona coffee at Kona Cafe and coffee cart by monorail exit at Poly
Coffee at Epcot in World Showcase , I think by Italy & France?
Coffee at DHS, cart by exit of Tower of Terror
Coffee at AK, coffee cart in Asia,
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
FortCanadaGirl
Earning My Ears

The Kona coffee at the Poly is amazing--especially if you do the press pot at the Kona Cafe. This would be a coffee highlight

And Starbucks is coming. . . coming to Main Street MK anyway
FortCanadaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #25
samacita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCanadaGirl View Post
The Kona coffee at the Poly is amazing--especially if you do the press pot at the Kona Cafe. This would be a coffee highlight
Oooh, this makes me even happier we are staying at the Poly. Sounds like a lovely start to the day.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut View Post
Will the Melitta round coffee pods fit in the cuisinart trays? I am thinking of buying them at home and replacing theirs with them > Does anyone know if that will work? Thanks
Yes, they do, and they make a great cup of coffee. I like the Melitta French Roast.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Colleenkayte
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much for posting this information! I was starting to pull my hair out trying to get the scoop. I am not a nice person in the morning without a good, strong cup of coffee. I also don't want to run everyone on vacation to please my coffee need. Thanks again!

Colleenkayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleenkayte View Post
Thank you all so much for posting this information! I was starting to pull my hair out trying to get the scoop. I am not a nice person in the morning without a good, strong cup of coffee. I also don't want to run everyone on vacation to please my coffee need. Thanks again!
www.Javapodz.com have great pods
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

I love my coffees here @ home but while at Disney I can only do Lattes, every park loved all the lattes. In my opinion the Coffees just have either a burnt harsh or watered down taste. Have them try it if they like it all is well, if they do what I did have them try the Lattes, the ones from the little wagon barrel looking type of things lol at the parks, named something like Espresso

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
barbara ann
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what they have in the cabins at FW? I read the list above but every time I research the cabins they are listed in a different category (moderate, home away from home, campsite?!?). Hoping someone has been recently...
barbara ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: