Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
ptmmg
DIS Veteran

Windosr Hills community vs Emerald Island

is there one better than the other? pros and cons of both? proximity to the parks is not an issue as this trip is mainly planned to enjoy the heated pools and the amenities of Florida in the middle of a harsh New E
ngland winter!!!!
ptmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
sympatico
DIS Veteran

It depends on whether you're renting a condo/townhouse or a pool home I think. When we rent a pool home we very seldom go to the community pool, the grandkids just want to stay at "their" pool.
If you're renting a condo/townhouse and are depending on the community pool then Windsor Hills has a much bigger community pool with a water slide and a zero entry area and hot tub. There's also a pop-up fountain play area. The castle playground is nicer than the playground at Emerald Island also. WH has a mini movie theatre where you can reserve and watch a movie for free.
Emerald Island has a regular pool and hot tub with a tiki bar beside the pool. As far as distance goes they are only a few minutes apart.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Thank you Wanda for answering the OP, I also wanted to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
It depends on whether you're renting a condo/townhouse or a pool home I think. When we rent a pool home we very seldom go to the community pool, the grandkids just want to stay at "their" pool.
If you're renting a condo/townhouse and are depending on the community pool then Windsor Hills has a much bigger community pool with a water slide and a zero entry area and hot tub. There's also a pop-up fountain play area. The castle playground is nicer than the playground at Emerald Island also. WH has a mini movie theatre where you can reserve and watch a movie for free.
Emerald Island has a regular pool and hot tub with a tiki bar beside the pool. As far as distance goes they are only a few minutes apart.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Dang duplicate post, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
djm99

If lovin' Disneyworld is Childish... I never want to grow up
Me Me Me Me Me Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmmg View Post
is there one better than the other? pros and cons of both? proximity to the parks is not an issue as this trip is mainly planned to enjoy the heated pools and the amenities of Florida in the middle of a harsh New England winter!!!!
Both are very similar. They both have their condos and townhomes in the front of the complex and the homes behind them. The complex of Windsor is newer and has a nicer community pool area although it is small IMO. I also think the homes are closer together and appear to have a short drive way (important if you have multiple cars). Since most of the people who rent homes use their pool neither of the pools were overly crowded when I visited both during July months (years apart of course). Both have small but nice Club houses. If you are renting a condo or townhouse in Emerald Island they had a lot of parking which was VERY important. Parking was okay at Windsor but that was important for us because when we rented a house in Emerald in 2006 (Windsor I think wasn't even open) we couldn't park on the streets if you rent houses (not sure if that still applies). We shared a 7BR with 4 families who all had cars so that really mattered to us. I didn't rent a house at Windsor Hills (only a condo) so I can't comment to that. Windsor is closer to 192. Don't get me wrong, I'm talking maybe 3/4 of a mile difference here so NO its not far away.

My only complaint of Windsor is their gate scan sheet issue. They are truly grated with a guard at the gate. When you enter the complex (the first time), you'll give them your name, and they will check it and give you a computer scan oblong thing (made of paper) that gets you in the gate (you keep it in your dash board). Well, its a flimsy piece of paper and you literally have to place it up against the scanner (which is outside and small). So, sometimes getting in is a little challenge (you don't have to show it to leave the complex). When I was in Emerald - someone was at the gate maybe once or twice and their wasn't anything to check for my car. You just drive in and out.

Personally I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. Windsor does tend to be more expensive because it is newer. Other than that, its really no big deal one way or the other. Both are nice.