Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
AngelicFruitcake
Earning My Ears

Hmm....I quite enjoyed John Carter, as did my whole family. While I feel marketing is partially to blame, (didn't Borroughs fans piece together their own trailer because they felt it better represented the plot and they wanted it to succeed?) but also, as more of a movie fan than Disney fan, I place blame on the media, who were far too eager to label it a failure. The film never really had a chance.

Which makes me kinda sad because I'd love to see other books adapted.

This is also likely to hamper The Lone Ranger. Personally I'm over Johnny Depp and his acting like the same character in every movie, and I wonder if there isn't some media fatigue with that as well. They seem a little too elated to call it a disaster.

That said, I'm still willing to give the movie a chance. Shoot, I just saw After Earth and it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews would have you believe.
AngelicFruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Q-man
DIS Veteran

I didn't think it was possible to make a movie that Depp couldn't save in some way. Lone Ranger proved me wrong.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I am a it surprised why a few are making a fuss over the Lone Ranger...........it like Carter may not have been popular or a success. My own opinion is Depp never was a really good actor, he has had many flops, maybe if he got off the drugs?

It certainty is not a problem for Disney!

For the year so far on Iron man 3 and Monster U they have earned over 1.6 B, yes Billion.

One problem movie is not the end of the world, in fact their shock is going up.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen Lone Ranger but think the marketing was bad for it too. The commercials just focused on Depp and didn't make it seem like an exciting movie. I don't think The Lone Ranger name has the same draw that Disney expected.

It's hardly catastrophic to the company given some of their other successes, but it's obviously a disappointment for them. The problem was giving Gore Verbinski free reign to let the budget go crazy (i.e., build his own train) because he had a hit with Pirates. Even when they shut down the production and forced the budget down, it was still over $200 million before you consider marketing.

We've seen a good amount of big budget movies fail this summer due to bad word of mouth. There are so many summer releases that many of us just focus on the most interesting ones.
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
I haven't seen Lone Ranger but think the marketing was bad for it too. The commercials just focused on Depp and didn't make it seem like an exciting movie. I don't think The Lone Ranger name has the same draw that Disney expected.

It's hardly catastrophic to the company given some of their other successes, but it's obviously a disappointment for them. The problem was giving Gore Verbinski free reign to let the budget go crazy (i.e., build his own train) because he had a hit with Pirates. Even when they shut down the production and forced the budget down, it was still over $200 million before you consider marketing.

We've seen a good amount of big budget movies fail this summer due to bad word of mouth. There are so many summer releases that many of us just focus on the most interesting ones.

Excellent post!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

I was trying to remain postive, but under $50 for the first 5 days isn't good. People seem to rate it high that have seen it, but not that many have seen it apparently.

I have not yet, but want to as I am a Lone Ranger fan. However, I read that the LR refuses to use a gun?! Say what?!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #22
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom

The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Disney lands another "bomb" of a movie.
2) Everyone KNOWS the Lone Ranger story.
3) Why did Disney think they could re-write it?
4) Even with Johnny Dep?
5) Critics think the movie will lose $100+ million.
6) Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean
. . . "if they make it the public will come"
7) Still needs to be a good flick.

NOTE: Even U.S.A. losers can make up the loss in worldwide
release. But, the worldwide market doesn't jump on Westerns
like they do for science fiction.
I dont know the lone ranger story!, im too young for that, they are bringing a new generation to the story and remaking it with Johnny is bound to bring in alot of Pirate fans and kids to the story.

I think it will be a good story, have you seen it yet? how can we call it a bomb without seeing it?

film dosnt release in UK until August and i am very much lookin forward to seeing the movie!

Disney have had some movies that didnt perform over recent years, but they are still turning out gems! Tangled, Wrek-It Ralph,

Oz the great and powerful was better than i thought it would be and i think that is the turning point for disneyu flops, John Carter was a good movie in its own right, not everyones cup of tea, but it appealed to sci-fi market and younger audiences hence why they released a lego after it!

it will be one of them films like return to oz where at the time you watch it and go ... it was okay.... but in time it will become a cult classic for those die hard fans.

Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp is going to be a good movie, performing well dosnt mean its a bad movie!, if the story, heart and disney feel is there im sure i would love it!

im lookin forward to this film alot!

and on your comments about critics, ... critics dont know jack!,
critics told black sabbath would never reach number 1 allbum and slated there first album, it sold millions and made them a house hold name,, just saying,

watch the movie, judge for yourself, when the critics change your mind about art before you have seen it, its time so stop reading reviews lol

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
I didn't think it was possible to make a movie that Depp couldn't save in some way. Lone Ranger proved me wrong.

1) Have you seen the Western, "Dead Man", with Depp?
2) A major loser of a movie.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #24
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Ash< View Post
. . . I think it will be a good story, have you seen it yet? how can we call it a bomb without seeing it? . . .

1) Yes, I have seen it at a preview.
2) And it will be a loser for the studio.
. . . no "Disney" feel
. . . bad acting
. . . convoluted story line
. . . mis-characterization of the Long Ranger story
. . . no "heart"
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
SharkBoy
Earning My Ears

Really enjoyed it

We saw it on opening weekend and I was very pleasantly surprised. I honestly don't know why the reviews were so terrible, we really enjoyed it. It might have been a tad long, but never boring. I might remove the silly parts with the rabbit and the horse on the tree, that just seemed out of place, but otherwise, it worked for me
Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

I agree with a PP who said they are picking the most interesting movies because there are SO many out right now. I know that summer is the time that Hollywood cranks them out like crazy but sheeesh! our movie budget isn't up to all of the movies my family wants to see right now.

We're going to be catching some of those at the 2nd run $3 theater!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
JB2K
DIS Veteran

The problem is...

...Disney tends to rely on other "channels" for their movie ideas -- in other words, they seldom come-up with anything original...

Monsters U? Nope -- that franchise was Pixar's brainchild.

Iron Man 3/Marvel Cinematic Universe? Ditto -- most of those characters were created 50 years ago (Disney bought that company for access to these characters, as the first 2 Iron Man movies had no involvement from the Mouse).

As for the Lone Ranger, I am yet to see it (and will probably hit the second-run theatre, or rent the Blu-ray on Redbox), but that character has not had media success since way before many of us were born (there was a 1981 movie "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" that was a major flop for Universal Studios).

As bad as the Universal film was, it stands to make more money (against its' production budget) than the Disney movie (unless the Disney film pulls-off some sort of miracle in the U.K.). The Universal movie made roughly 2/3 of its' budget, while the Disney version is currently nearing the halfway point.

FWIW, I think Disney needs to come-up with some fresh ideas -- as they are now the owners of everything Marvel, there are still hundreds of characters at their disposal which have never been tapped for movies. Or, perhaps their animated offering later this year ("Frozen") might have a "Tangled-esque" appeal...
Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
My own opinion is Depp never was a really good actor, he has had many flops, maybe if he got off the drugs?
Drugs? That's kind of a bizarre accusation to make. I see no proof of Johnny Depp having a drug problem.

Flops? Kindly tell me what he's been in that "flopped". Nearly everything I know that he's been in has performed to or exceeded expectations. Worldwide, not always domestic.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

I'd be concerned about this but Disney is the first studio to hit $1b in ticket sales domestically in 2013 and has also done $2b worldwide. That's on only 4 releases this year of which Lone Ranger is one. I doubt that they really all that concerned and they have a few more releases to come this year.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

It appears that the Lone Ranger has pretty much faded from the movie news already. Can't be long before it hits on DVD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: