Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
Mad-Jasper
Mouseketeer

Me and the GF saw LR Saturday and loved it. Not that the acting or story was great, it was a fun movie. When they played the LR theme we both looked at each and had the biggest smiles. Chill bumps ensued. I would like to see this franchise do well.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Jasper View Post
Me and the GF saw LR Saturday and loved it. Not that the acting or story was great, it was a fun movie. When they played the LR theme we both looked at each and had the biggest smiles. Chill bumps ensued. I would like to see this franchise do well.

FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????

Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefan View Post
I'll be the dissenter here. While I enjoyed DM2, I did not think it was as good as DM1. Also, I did not think that MU was as good as MI either, but I thought that the story holds its own better in MU than in DM2.

That said, DD9 thought that both of them were great and I am sure that they both will make a great deal of $$. I do not have the same faith in either 'Planes' or 'Turbo'...
Planes looks GAWD AWFUL. It looks like one of those garbage Disney direct to DVD sequels
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Despicable Me 2 out performs Lone Ranger by almost a full 100 MILLION Dollars for the loooong 4th of July weekend.

Weekend Total
1. Despicable Me $82,518,000 $142,076,000
2. The Lone Ranger $29,432,000 $48,936,000
3. The Heat $25,000,000 $86,398,000
4. Monsters University $19,590,000 $216,127,000
5. World War Z $18,200,000 $158,758,000
6. White House Down $13,500,000 $50,478,000
7. Man of Steel $11,415,000 $271,206,000
8. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain $10,100,000 $17,460,000
9. This is the End $5,800,000 $85,554,000
10.Now You See Me $2,770,000 $110,415,000

Depp's second straight summer flop
"The Lone Ranger" marks the second consecutive major box-office misfire for Depp, who starred in last summer's "Dark Shadows." That send-up of a 1960s TV vampire soap cost $150 million to produce and topped out at $80 million. It opened to a mere $29 million -- and "The Lone Ranger" did worse than that.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSkinner View Post
My complaints about the Lone Ranger, is the depiction of Texas. Nowhere in Texas do we have topography like they show in the movie, Obviously Monument Valley area. Plus it would have taken days to reach where the golden spike was hammered. Johnny Depp steals the show. Should have been Tonto meets a lone ranger. Overall good movie. Eill buy iy in blu ray.y
Good point! I spent the whole LR movie wondering why they were in Arizona. Maybe it was more expensive to film in Texas?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #36
Mad-Jasper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post

FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????

]

Jerry Bruckheimer intended LR to be a franchise starter with sequels to follow. It's also not likely that Disney would drop 250m on a film intended to standalone and not a potential franchise.

But hey, why waste time in contributing to a discussion when you can simply be obnoxious.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
Disney Blues
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Jasper
]

Jerry Bruckheimer intended LR to be a franchise starter with sequels to follow. It's also not likely that Disney would drop 250m on a film intended to standalone and not a potential franchise.

But hey, why waste time in contributing to a discussion when you can simply be obnoxious.
True, and I agree with you on the intended Franchise, every movie with that kind of budget always leaves room in the story and are hoping
Disney Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
]

And yet you reply with nothing but obnoxious. Wow.

LR was a gimme to Depp for signing long term for POC. That's it.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #39
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
While Jerry Bruckheimer has made very few missteps, intentions are only that. Depp took far less for this movie than his others, so did Bruckheimer - 20% less than what they'd normally ask. Check out this HuffPost: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1009407.html

In 2012, Disney said that it expected losses of $200 million on John Carter; at that time the film had made only $234 million worldwide, far short of the $250 million budget plus worldwide advertising. They aren't willing to go down that road again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f6VS_blog.html

So, it does happen. While Disney is still ouching from this loss, it is more relegated to reputation than dollars. I doubt Disney is hurting any and have fully recovered from and easily absorbed this loss. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...s-it-chi-36389 Disney doesn't want to be responsible for a big goose egg.

But after came the releases of Brave and the Avengers...need I say more? Disney is like a cat, it's going to land one way or another.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

The flop of one movie is not a issue or a problem!

So far this year from JUST Iron Man and Monster 2, they have brought in $1.6 b, yes, Billion.

Frankly Depp is no longer the actor or draw many think he is and many more are starting to realize.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #41
Mad-Jasper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post

And yet you reply with nothing but obnoxious. Wow.

LR was a gimme to Depp for signing long term for POC. That's it.
Actually, my post referenced Bruckheimer's desire for LR sequels AND called out the poster for having nothing substantial to add to the
discussion.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/je...el-1200494492/
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
Mad-Jasper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post

While Jerry Bruckheimer has made very few missteps, intentions are only that. Depp took far less for this movie than his others, so did Bruckheimer - 20% less than what they'd normally ask. Check out this HuffPost: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1009407.html

In 2012, Disney said that it expected losses of $200 million on John Carter; at that time the film had made only $234 million worldwide, far short of the $250 million budget plus worldwide advertising. They aren't willing to go down that road again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f6VS_blog.html

So, it does happen. While Disney is still ouching from this loss, it is more relegated to reputation than dollars. I doubt Disney is hurting any and have fully recovered from and easily absorbed this loss. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...s-it-chi-36389 Disney doesn't want to be responsible for a big goose egg.

But after came the releases of Brave and the Avengers...need I say more? Disney is like a cat, it's going to land one way or another.
Box Office Mojo has the numbers for a few Disney's recent disappointments.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...yfranchise.htm

Except that the foreign numbers may have put these movies in the black or at least close to it.

I don't expect the foreign numbers to save LR though.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
amwhitaker
Not happy unless I'm going to Disney. I will NEVER grow up!

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Lone Ranger!!! I will be buying it when it comes out.

I have NEVER let critics sway me one way or the other, it doesn't make sense. Everyone has different tastes in life with everything. If I listened to the majority of people around me, I would never had gone to WDW!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #44
mm1971
DIS Veteran

From what I've read and seen it was expected that the movie would not do well in the theaters. It's mostly due to it being a western movie. They don't do particularly well. Disney stock was unaffected and actually up yesterday so it shows that the poor movie receipts were expected. We have not seen it yet, but I do plan to get there this week.

I've seen mixed reviews. The lack of $$ is because the younger audiences that normally go to the movies really have no interest in the Genre. I saw a graphic and the majority of people were over 30 that saw the movie. I'm bringing my DS, but he has little interest in Westerns and will probably enjoy it less than I do.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #45
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

The fact remains the Disney made a big mistake in some people's eyes by casting Johnny Depp as Tonto, rather than a Native American actor (While Johnny is 1/8th Cherokee, I know a lot of my Native American friends refused to see the movie because of what looked like a blatant attempt at whitewashing by Disney). Depp's costume was also horribly, horribly inaccurate (full-time war pain and a dead crow on his head? Come on, Disney. I know you can do better than that.)

I saw the movie. And I wanted to love it. I really did. But I had a really hard time seeing past the glaring number of racial stereotypes and (I didn't expect this to be an issue with a Disney movie to be honest?) the sheer amount of violence in it.

WDW DCP Alumnus - Merchandise - DAK Discovery Island

The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions of the Walt Disney company or any affiliates.
ValiantHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: