Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #46
mejo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
But I'm not sure what needs to be set up to reactivate old chips vs. new chips. Unless they change the type of chip, they'd be the same. Scan and activate, doesn't matter old or new.

But for those saying they just don't want more mugs because they have enough at home, there is a very easy solution - don't bring it home.
Yep, we always drop ours in the trash at the airport, not very eco friendly but no need to fly them back here.

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

As much as I would try to not let things get to me while at WDW (I'm on vacation for heaven's sake), seeing the abuses of the free refill mug always got to me while sitting in the resort's food court. Maybe it was because of the money I spent to get the mug myself, but no one likes to see other people getting for free what they themselves just paid for. It happened ALL the time...and I'm not just talking about people bringing old mugs from previous visits. I mean people filling milk jugs, sports bottles, a family of seven buying one refillable mug only to fill and pour it into multiple water bottles for the rest of the family, you name it. Yes, it's amazing what you see when you're just chilling in the food court enjoying your meal. I can't put the blame on the Cast Members. Nobody wants to be the person to confront someone breaking the rules. I for one am glad something like this is finally coming.
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #48
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw_yensid View Post
As much as I would try to not let things get to me while at WDW (I'm on vacation for heaven's sake), seeing the abuses of the free refill mug always got to me while sitting in the resort's food court. Maybe it was because of the money I spent to get the mug myself, but no one likes to see other people getting for free what they themselves just paid for. It happened ALL the time...and I'm not just talking about people bringing old mugs from previous visits. I mean people filling milk jugs, sports bottles, a family of seven buying one refillable mug only to fill and pour it into multiple water bottles for the rest of the family, you name it. Yes, it's amazing what you see when you're just chilling in the food court enjoying your meal. I can't put the blame on the Cast Members. Nobody wants to be the person to confront someone breaking the rules. I for one am glad something like this is finally coming.
I agree, and I completely understand why Disney had to do something. We are driving this year, and I just came back from a big sale where I bought 8, 12 can packs of Coke products for under $12.00 for our resort fridge. Bye, bye mugs.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #49
cmash95
a princess at heart

disney pays coke for the carbination canisters and gets the syrup for free. So really they make a bundle off fountain drinks. They have to pay for any bottled drinkes sold throughout the property.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #50
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmash95 View Post
disney pays coke for the carbination canisters and gets the syrup for free. So really they make a bundle off fountain drinks. They have to pay for any bottled drinkes sold throughout the property.
Do you actually have a source for that information? It's long been rumored (and a variety of variations), but I've never seen anything that actually confirmed it.

Regardless, the cost of a 16oz soda is miniscule to the cost actually charged...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
vandy
Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
No the article does not say you can use them in the park. It clearly states "in the resorts".
Looking back it wasn't in the article, but in the response by "Jeff" who states he works in Disney finances and was in the know on this planning. He stated:

Your mug in conjunction with your MagicBand WILL allow you to access soda in the parks. But there is a lot of work that still needs to happen, and more fountain machines added before this can happen. So you can take your mug with you, and use it all day long. Until that happens, there will be no change to the current set up

This quote is what made me wonder if some of the new self-service soda dispensers were being put in now in preparation for the future use of refillable mugs.

vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #52
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
Looking back it wasn't in the article, but in the response by "Jeff" who states he works in Disney finances and was in the know on this planning. He stated:

Your mug in conjunction with your MagicBand WILL allow you to access soda in the parks. But there is a lot of work that still needs to happen, and more fountain machines added before this can happen. So you can take your mug with you, and use it all day long. Until that happens, there will be no change to the current set up

This quote is what made me wonder if some of the new self-service soda dispensers were being put in now in preparation for the future use of refillable mugs.
I've seen and heard of no signs of dispensers going in yet, and per his post he says a lot of work still needs to be done. And that assumes he's legit.

And it goes back to my wondering why it isn't linked to the MagicBand/RFID cards to begin with.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #53
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Did somebody reference that the mugs might have a refill delay? I can't see that referenced in the linked article.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #54
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Did somebody reference that the mugs might have a refill delay? I can't see that referenced in the linked article.
They tested this at one of the All Star resorts before, and they had a refill lockout time of 5 minutes. This prevented one mug being used to fill multiple containers.

This is supposed to be the same vendor's technology. They might change the lockout, but it would seem unlikely.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
disneyfreak89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
For more than 14 days, perhaps they'll have to issue a new mug or something like that. Probably not a seamless process but not a terrible inconvenience over such a long stay. Brief stop at the front desk.
Our next trip will be 14+ days so I can see them extending the date a few days so the RFID chip doesn't expire until our last day. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejo View Post
Yep, we always drop ours in the trash at the airport, not very eco friendly but no need to fly them back here.
Do you seriously throw them away???? Why not give them away as souvenirs or donate them to your local charity? I'm sure there are lots of kids out there who will never be able to afford a trip to Disney but would LOVE to have a mug.

Honeymoon '89 - OFFSITE 1990 - FW; 1992 - DixL; 1996 - FW; 1999 - FW/CSR; 2001 - DixL; 2003 - FW; 2005 - POFQ/ POR; 2006 - PC;
2007 - PC/CBR; 2008 - SSR/OKW; 2009 - PC/CSR; 2010 - VBR/WL/PC; 2011 - SSR/BWV/AKV; 2012 - SSR/BWV/VBR/HHI; 2013 - POR/SSR; 2014 - OKW/BCV; 2015 - SSR
disneyfreak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

As long as we can keep getting our free cups of ice water, My family and I will be completely fine

In the grand scheme of things, this minor price increase is white noise when figuring out the cost of a Disney vacation.

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, Sept:8 days at BWI in WDW, and Oct: 4 days on Disney Dream Bahamas with Castaway Cay Double Dip
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They tested this at one of the All Star resorts before, and they had a refill lockout time of 5 minutes. This prevented one mug being used to fill multiple containers.

This is supposed to be the same vendor's technology. They might change the lockout, but it would seem unlikely.
A lot of times I will fill my mug/cup, take a couple nice gulps because I'm thirsty and then refill it up to the top. I wonder how long they consider to be "one fill" or if I'll be locked out from my refill. I could also easily drink 12 oz of ice tea or diet soda (with ice) in less than 5 minutes and want a refill right away.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #58
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:

This would also prohibit me from filling, drinking, and then filling again before returning to my room. Acknowledging that I could sit around for 5 minutes, but it seems silly. I would think it would be better to lock out for 5 minutes after some refill threshold (greater than 1) is hit.

And yes - I acknowledge I have a soda/caffeine problem. What'sittoya?
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #59
prettypatchesmsu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post

This would also prohibit me from filling, drinking, and then filling again before returning to my room. Acknowledging that I could sit around for 5 minutes, but it seems silly. I would think it would be better to lock out for 5 minutes after some refill threshold (greater than 1) is hit.

And yes - I acknowledge I have a soda/caffeine problem. What'sittoya?
Both DH and myself do this. Or at least a few good gulps, then top off before heading back to room. This is actually my only problem with this, the lockout time. I can live with the rest.

2013 October 19th-31st - Pop Century / DH & Me for 18th Anniversary Dream Trip
2011 October - Pop Century / Mom, Me, & DH
2008 June - All Star Movies / Mom, Me, & DH
1992 June - Caribbean Beach Resort / Mom & Me
prettypatchesmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #60
prettypatchesmsu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
A lot of times I will fill my mug/cup, take a couple nice gulps because I'm thirsty and then refill it up to the top. I wonder how long they consider to be "one fill" or if I'll be locked out from my refill. I could also easily drink 12 oz of ice tea or diet soda (with ice) in less than 5 minutes and want a refill right away.
Agree!

2013 October 19th-31st - Pop Century / DH & Me for 18th Anniversary Dream Trip
2011 October - Pop Century / Mom, Me, & DH
2008 June - All Star Movies / Mom, Me, & DH
1992 June - Caribbean Beach Resort / Mom & Me
prettypatchesmsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: