Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
8.99 for one day is kinda an insult...you have to suck down 4.5 cups of coke (which costs disney 0.5 cents per cup) to just break even.
$9 isn't bad, if you think the mug offers value as a souvenir.

The cost is going up to $18. Disney is offering a small discount to guests only staying a few days.

You'll be able to legally use your mug in any resort. I wonder if Disney will check how many guests fill their mugs at drink dispensers near the pool at a resort they're not staying at.

edited to add. Looking at the pricing the mug costs $6, soda costs $3 per day with no charge for day 4 on.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #32
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It says specifically that you can't re-use the mugs on another trip.

I'm wondering if there are health code reasons...it definitely isn't a technological one.
I can't see it being a health code reason because you're already sticking your "dirty mug" up to the dispenser the 2nd time you fill it.

I'd have to imagine it has something to do with the logistics of reactivating them.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

It says specifically that you can't re-use the mugs on another trip.

I'm wondering if there are health code reasons...it definitely isn't a technological one.
Yeah but that doesn't make sense. If its an RFID chip and I'm willing, please let me reactivate it and pay again to use the same mug. I don't need 3 mugs a year. I'd like to have one I can bring back and reactivate for a fee. Saves space in the kitchen, and the environment (haha yeah right).

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #34
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I wonder if Disney will check how many guests fill their mugs at drink dispensers near the pool at a resort they're not staying at.
Since the mugs are usable at any resort, unless they are tagged for DDP users, they could only tell if you bought the mug at the resort you are using the pool at. Not if you are actually staying there.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Since the mugs are usable at any resort, unless they are tagged for DDP users, they could only tell if you bought the mug at the resort you are using the pool at. Not if you are actually staying there.
A poster in the blog, Jeff claims to work for Disney. Regardless his answer makes sense. He said the cost to Disney for the mugs is $2-$3. How many people would bring back their mugs if Disney was only offering a $2 discount? Probably no enough to justify setting up a system to reactivate old chips in the system.

Last edited by Lewisc; 07-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
A poster, Jeff, in the blog claims to work for Disney. Regardless his answer makes sense. The cost to Disney for the mugs is $2-$3. How many people would bring back their mugs if Disney was only offering a $2 discount? Probably no enough to justify setting up a system to reactivate old chips in the system.
But I'm not sure what needs to be set up to reactivate old chips vs. new chips. Unless they change the type of chip, they'd be the same. Scan and activate, doesn't matter old or new.

But for those saying they just don't want more mugs because they have enough at home, there is a very easy solution - don't bring it home.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:

A poster, Jeff, in the blog claims to work for Disney. Regardless his answer makes sense. The cost to Disney for the mugs is $2-$3. How many people would bring back their mugs if Disney was only offering a $2 discount? Probably no enough to justify setting up a system to reactivate old chips in the system.
It'd cost nothing to "set up" such a system. It's virtually the same as activating a new chip. The only difference is using the word reactivate since the mug itself has been used. Once the mugs deactivate they're dormant, just the same as a new chip is. I'm not going to argue any further, it just makes sense to me to be able to pay $17.99 and reactivate.

Another thing that comes to mind is what comes of the lifetime mugs at the resorts like Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary. I see a good few still using them today, but with the chip system how will that all work? Just speculating.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

What about if you just buy the mug at the food court?

When we were at Disney the end of May, we weren't on the dining plan, but we did buy the mugs at the food court out of the big bin of them they had. How will they activate them, at the checkout? That will sure tie up the cashier trying to figure out how long to activate the chip for, when the lines in the food court can be long, I can see a lot of people being upset at this. It's too bad that they don't offer a regular glass that you could fill up and "throw away" if you don't want the mug (kinda like regular fast food restaurants that you go to). A lot of people might just buy them each time they go to the food court (without carrying their mug to the food court), think of all the money that they could make
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
germ539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #39
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
They could tell if you used your magic band to sign the mug purchase back to your room. Could probably infer your home resort if you used your mug for breakfast in one resort. Use your mug at more then one pool the same day? OK maybe a split stay but...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
When we were at Disney the end of May, we weren't on the dining plan, but we did buy the mugs at the food court out of the big bin of them they had. How will they activate them, at the checkout? That will sure tie up the cashier trying to figure out how long to activate the chip for, when the lines in the food court can be long, I can see a lot of people being upset at this.
Not having seen this implementation yet...but anyways...

1) The CM pushes one of four buttons, for how long to activate - 1, 2, 3 or 14 days (still not sure how to they do longer). They scan the mug. Done.

2) They have separate bins, for each length. Mugs are pre-coded for length, and just need activation. CM scans it like a grocery clerk would, and it rings up at the appropriate price.

Does not seem that difficult. They've already tested some aspects of this.

Quote:
It's too bad that they don't offer a regular glass that you could fill up and "throw away" if you don't want the mug (kinda like regular fast food restaurants that you go to). A lot of people might just buy them each time they go to the food court (without carrying their mug to the food court), think of all the money that they could make
They do. They offered paper cups with an embedded chip (probably the stick-on variety actually) that is good for four fills/1 hour, whichever comes first. Seems reasonable to assume that they will still have that.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #41
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
8.99 for one day is kinda an insult...you have to suck down 4.5 cups of coke (which costs disney 0.5 cents per cup) to just break even.
Well, there is the cost of the cup. Looking at the pricing, it appears they priced the physical mug at $5.99 and then $3 per day for soda. $5.99 is obviously not the true cost to produce but not horrible when compared with other souvenir prices.

Personally I've never seen the value in the mugs. Have no desire to carry around a sticky, undersized plastic tumbler wherever I go. And like another poster said, I could drink the entire contents just on my walk from the refill station to hotel room.

It's just one more reason we rent a car and make our own grocery trip. The $18 x 4 we'd have to pay for mugs would more than cover the cost of a single day car rental. And with it we can buy our own choice of beverages plus other snacks and necessities.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't blame them for this...

but gee...doesn't it seem like old CMB and the beans department have really tightened the screws on the customers across the board the last 3 years or so?

the dining plan costs and reductions, the hotels (while admittedly at somepoints in their histories have seemed like a good deals) are not really a good deal at all anymore, and the huge assault on the price of annual passes last year....

just seems like they buy the hype that the economy is booming and people are raking it in...except that the second part is pure fiction because wages are still down.

I don't know...i don't typically whine about price...but the inflation at WDW is gonna have to take a break sooner or later here. the $4000 vacation is going to quickly become $6,000 or $8,000...and that's hard scratch to swallow for your average peep.

But i know...it's ok because they're paying me back by building Star Wars Land, Carsland, Russia, Brazil, and Spain and two new lands in AK

at least they are dropping the pretense of only being allowed to use the mug where you're staying...and this should give no excuse for them not to keep the self service ones open 24 hours....as it would basically require one custodial employee with minor training to service/clean them and engineering has somebody available 24 hours a day as is.
I don't often agree with you, but this time you've hit the nail on the head...
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #43
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Well, there is the cost of the cup. Looking at the pricing, it appears they priced the physical mug at $5.99 and then $3 per day for soda. $5.99 is obviously not the true cost to produce but not horrible when compared with other souvenir prices.

Personally I've never seen the value in the mugs. Have no desire to carry around a sticky, undersized plastic tumbler wherever I go. And like another poster said, I could drink the entire contents just on my walk from the refill station to hotel room.

It's just one more reason we rent a car and make our own grocery trip. The $18 x 4 we'd have to pay for mugs would more than cover the cost of a single day car rental. And with it we can buy our own choice of beverages plus other snacks and necessities.
Someone somewhere said the mug costs $2-3 to Disney (it may have been that "Jeff form Finance"), but even then, the mug itself can be a loss leader given the markup of the soda itself.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Never used the mugs either, for the same reasons you've stated.

Even when we have fridge in our room we tend to take a cooler with us, there's nothing like an ice cold coke or beer after a long day at the park. Sure you've got to fill the cooler up with ice every couple of days, but a couple of buckets of ice from the machine and you're all set.

I've never even considered getting a mug.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
An excellent way to phase the beverages out of the DDP and jack the price on that too, lol!
And you back that assumption up with what facts?

I think they just found a new way to make a few more dollars. And as someone who only uses their mug during the current trip, I'm glad they have come up with a way to frustrate those who thought they were above the rules.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: