Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #2506
Phlip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
I'm not sure any of us here can give you the answer.

With SPG Amex, you have a $65 annual fee. You earn "points" which can be used for Starwood property stays OR converted to airline miles. The only times you earn "bonus" points is when you stay at Starwood properties or when you refer others who subsequently enroll in the Amex card.

There are 2 different Disney Visas. You can get the one with no annual fee, earning 1% on purchases. The rewards dollars can be used on Disney vacations or the Disney Store. The Premium Disney Visa has a $49 annual fee and earns 2% on Disney purchases, groceries, and at gas stations; 1% on all other purchases. With both Disney Visas, there is also a 6 month 0% interest option on Disney Vacation Packages. Disney Visa also occasionally has "special offers" such as a discount code for WDW being offered 3 days before it's offered to the general public.

In your situation, I tend to think a Disney Visa would be the better option for you, but that is just my opinion!

Good luck with your decision!

Mike - glad your family had a great vacation! Looking forward to photos!
Starwood Amex runs a promo fee free for one year, and you get 10000 points first use, 15000 more if you charge 5k in first 6 months. Dolphin is 10000 points for a free night. I ended up getting two free nights for just using the card and not trying hard to earn points. I would've paid 450 total for those nights. No way would I have earned that with the 1or 2 percent award. When the year was up, I cancelled the card. No fees. And we like the dolphin better anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #2507
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post

Starwood Amex runs a promo fee free for one year, and you get 10000 points first use, 15000 more if you charge 5k in first 6 months. Dolphin is 10000 points for a free night. I ended up getting two free nights for just using the card and not trying hard to earn points. I would've paid 450 total for those nights. No way would I have earned that with the 1or 2 percent award. When the year was up, I cancelled the card. No fees. And we like the dolphin better anyway.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do the free points nights need to be booked under a separate type/level/category of booking? In other words, if I made a regular reservation now using the teacher rate, and come February had enough points for a few free nights, can they be redeemed at the time of check in/Check out (that seems way too good to be true), could I alter the reservation a month or so ahead of time, or does it need to be originally booked with points? I guess I am asking how far in advance of a stay would I realistically need to have these points accumulated?

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #2508
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallprincesses View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do the free points nights need to be booked under a separate type/level/category of booking? In other words, if I made a regular reservation now using the teacher rate, and come February had enough points for a few free nights, can they be redeemed at the time of check in/Check out (that seems way too good to be true), could I alter the reservation a month or so ahead of time, or does it need to be originally booked with points? I guess I am asking how far in advance of a stay would I realistically need to have these points accumulated?
I suppose you could call in advance to modify the reservation. I wouldn't risk waiting until you check in/out, some nights are blocked for point redemption.

I had enough points for 1 night of my 4 night trip this coming August. I booked two separate reservations, one cash for 3 nights & one points for the final night. They told me upon checkin I could get them to combine the reservations so I didn't have to potentially switch rooms.

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #2509
Phlip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnfly30 View Post
I suppose you could call in advance to modify the reservation. I wouldn't risk waiting until you check in/out, some nights are blocked for point redemption.

I had enough points for 1 night of my 4 night trip this coming August. I booked two separate reservations, one cash for 3 nights & one points for the final night. They told me upon checkin I could get them to combine the reservations so I didn't have to potentially switch rooms.
I ended up using the points on two different ressies. First night I had all the points when I reserved, and the second night the points would be hitting my account a week before my trip. You do need to book as a point stay.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #2510
Shula
DVC Wannabe

Just booked our trip at Dolphin for 6/6/14-6/14/14. 4 rooms standard view, 1 AAA $215 and 3 w/teacher rates at $209. So excited because up until this week the rates were $279, first time I checked this week and it was down to $239. Called Dolphin direct and got the discounts. I will continue to watch for cheaper rates but at least I know we are staying because this rate is already within budget. OMG, so excited for our first stay there, I just had to share. We have stayed at BCV so we know how awesome Epcot area resorts are!!!! 330 days
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #2511
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shula View Post
Just booked our trip at Dolphin for 6/6/14-6/14/14. 4 rooms standard view, 1 AAA $215 and 3 w/teacher rates at $209. So excited because up until this week the rates were $279, first time I checked this week and it was down to $239. Called Dolphin direct and got the discounts. I will continue to watch for cheaper rates but at least I know we are staying because this rate is already within budget. OMG, so excited for our first stay there, I just had to share. We have stayed at BCV so we know how awesome Epcot area resorts are!!!! 330 days
I guarantee you'll get it for less than that by the time it's all said and done. This past trip (June), it took until January for the rates to drop, but they finally did. You will definitely get those standard rooms for under $200 by the time next June rolls around. I'll be in the World for your exact dates next June (well, 6/5 - 6/15), but I'm hoping to rent a 1 BR villa instead at BW. Gotta love the Epcots resorts area!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2512
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Was that $215 including tax or resort fee? I need to call because the website has it at like $320 with tax and resort fee for our march trip. This is at the Swan
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #2513
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
I guarantee you'll get it for less than that by the time it's all said and done. This past trip (June), it took until January for the rates to drop, but they finally did. You will definitely get those standard rooms for under $200 by the time next June rolls around. I'll be in the World for your exact dates next June (well, 6/5 - 6/15), but I'm hoping to rent a 1 BR villa instead at BW. Gotta love the Epcots resorts area!
That was exactly what we experienced. We booked our executive suite in late January for $400 (teacher discount) and prices didn't drop until March. Ended up getting it for $369 which is where it stayed because all the executive suites were booked. Actually was quoted $352.50 once, but by the time my brother called, a few hours later, that price was no longer available.

Quote:
Congrats on booking Shula. Like Music City Mama stated prices will likely drop after January, not to say they won't before then!

Did you look into any of the suites? If you are going with family you might want to look into them as an option. The one or two bedroom Executive suites actually don't run much more and can actually run cheaper than the standard rooms and you only pay one resort fee instead of two. Honestly, if we are traveling with 5 or more people, I have trouble seeing us go any other way.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #2514
vicb
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear the price update, just checked my May 2014 dates, they did drop a bit but I think they are still pretty high, more like what I paid for Easter week 2012 (my last trip). I'll keep watching a few more months before I book.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #2515
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Not sure if this is the right place or if someone knows the answer to this...

Looking at staying at Swan since 2014 rates at BC/YC are WAY higher than I expected.

Can I sign up for a Starwood card under my name and then get a card under my business name (I have an LLC with a valid EIN) to take advantage of the 10K points on each card and then use both of them for the same stay? I'll happily call to get my reservations linked so we don't have to move rooms.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #2516
Roo2
Greatest Disney Vacation Planner Ever

I wanted to share a new code I saw on Travelzoo to book in August for the Dolphin- the code is JULYLTO and the website read

"Stay at the Walt Disney World Dolphin hotel for $139 per night, and receive a complimentary upgrade to a resort view room, over these dates:

Aug. 3-7, 13-17, 21-25, 29-31
Sept. 1-7, 11-14, 18-30"

I was actually able to book Aug 23-Sept 1 for $139 each night- very excited!

Hope this helps someone! (Now I just need to get my daughter to help me figure out how to change my ticker!)

Roo2

DD 18-
ME 50-
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #2517
ryansstitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
I wanted to share a new code I saw on Travelzoo to book in August for the Dolphin- the code is JULYLTO and the website read

"Stay at the Walt Disney World Dolphin hotel for $139 per night, and receive a complimentary upgrade to a resort view room, over these dates:

Sept. 1-7, 11-14, 18-30"

Hope this helps someone! (Now I just need to get my daughter to help me figure out how to change my ticker!)

Roo2
Wow! That last set of september dates is food and wine time I think... I guess I couldn't expect them to offer such a promo during their own food and wine classic though...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #2518
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post

Sept. 1-7, 11-14, 18-30"

Roo2
That's over my dates! But I think it only saves me $10 a night over the rate I got. I hoping for an upgrade as I'm a SPG member.

Going to investigate..

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014 ~ YC Sept 2015
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #2519
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnfly30 View Post
That's over my dates! But I think it only saves me $10 a night over the rate I got. I hoping for an upgrade as I'm a SPG member.

Going to investigate..
Be careful. I got a rate or $149, but it has a one night deposit that is refundable up to a few days before checkin. I always like to make sure my reservations are refundable, just in case. The $139 rate that PP mentioned has a one night NON REFUNDABLE deposit. Just so you know. I preferred to pay the extra $10 for peace of mind.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #2520
catiesmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place or if someone knows the answer to this...

Looking at staying at Swan since 2014 rates at BC/YC are WAY higher than I expected.

Can I sign up for a Starwood card under my name and then get a card under my business name (I have an LLC with a valid EIN) to take advantage of the 10K points on each card and then use both of them for the same stay? I'll happily call to get my reservations linked so we don't have to move rooms.
Yes, DH and I did this last year. We each signed up for a SPG Amex. During the application process, you'll just note which SPG account to assign pints. It was very easy. We also got his dad to sign up too and give us his points (we provided their room too). Wish we could do it again for our 2014 trip
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: