Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
csturg
Earning My Ears

What "AREA" should we stay in??

I have never been to Orlando and have no idea of what "areas" to stay in. We are staying a couple of nights post cruise and mainly will want to go to DTD and maybe some outlet shopping. Does anyone know of nice hotels we should stay? How about the traffic? IDK if we would want to stay in a high traffic area??

THANKS!
csturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csturg View Post
I have never been to Orlando and have no idea of what "areas" to stay in. We are staying a couple of nights post cruise and mainly will want to go to DTD and maybe some outlet shopping. Does anyone know of nice hotels we should stay? How about the traffic? IDK if we would want to stay in a high traffic area??

THANKS!
Almost by definition, The DTD and Outlet malls are going to be located in "High Traffic Areas". BUT.... there are some nice resorts and hotels in the area which can give you that isolated feeling when on property so you only have to be reminded of the high traffic when you leave to go to your destination.

Besides DTD and some Outlet shopping, is there anything else you are looking for? Maybe some idea on the type of Hotel or Resort you are looking for or a price point you are looking to spend? There are so many options and so many places around the tourist district that it might help you get suggestions if you narrowed things down a bit more.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
momto2js
DIS Veteran

We like the area around sea world and also the Kissimmee side of Disney. The area on I-drive between SW and DTD is nice but I prefer to be closer to SW because the traffic is less. Too close to DTD or LBV and the traffic tends to be an issue even if just going out to eat.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at a few of the budget hotels around DTD and have never had issues. There are a few just down the road as you turn into the DTD area and a few further down the road.

One of the best outlet shopping malls Premium Outlets is all very close and nearby - easy 5-10 minute drive. There are lots of restaurants around there, and a grocery store called Goodings that is 24 hours. Its not the best grocery store, but it does in a pinch and sells booze (if you want it).

We have stayed at the Best Western near there, and its ok. Not super luxiours or anything but inexpensive and clean.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
bluwater
Mouseketeer

I just returned from my first stay in the Bonnet Creek area and I highly recommend it:
  • You are close to DTD but on the less traffic-packed side (West side?).
  • You are on-site Disney, so don't have to contend with the traffic on the main roads.
  • You can easily get to Crossroads restaurants and the Outlets.
Hope that helps a little.
bluwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

I think Bonnet Creek is the only place around Disney we haven't stayed. I checked the site and it looks really nice. Lots of amenities, but twice what we have paid at other places.

We might have to book it next trip though, everyone always raves about it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
csturg
Earning My Ears

Do you know any "nicer" hotels/resorts on the quiter side of International Drive?
csturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy00 View Post
I think Bonnet Creek is the only place around Disney we haven't stayed. I checked the site and it looks really nice. Lots of amenities, but twice what we have paid at other places.

We might have to book it next trip though, everyone always raves about it.
If you are looking at the Wyndham Bonnett Creek timeshare resort (and not the Waldorf, hilton, or Wyndham Grande Hotel), DON'T Book directly with Wyndham. You will easily pay close to $300/night, while if you book with an owner such as the ones people talk about here on the DIS, You would end up paying closer to $100/night for the exact same unit.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Orlando Vic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Do you know any "nicer" hotels/resorts on the quiter side of International Drive?
Peabody Hotel
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
jbrock2013
Earning My Ears

The Peabody is the ONLY place I stay!!! It has 2 pool areas, parking garage, tennis courts & the famous ducks in their older lobby. Its on the other end of I drive. Even though its a bit costly, I refuse to stay at any other hotel in Orl. You definitely get what u pay for!!
jbrock2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #11
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
If you are looking at the Wyndham Bonnett Creek timeshare resort (and not the Waldorf, hilton, or Wyndham Grande Hotel), DON'T Book directly with Wyndham. You will easily pay close to $300/night, while if you book with an owner such as the ones people talk about here on the DIS, You would end up paying closer to $100/night for the exact same unit.
How do you find the owners directly? just starting the search for properties and seem to be going around in circles.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Letterhead
Mouseketeer

Have a look at Sheraton Vistana Resort and Sheraton Vistana Villages. They are both at the quieter end of I-Drive, and come with a separate living area with kitchen.

There's also several pools and activities at each one.
Letterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
How do you find the owners directly? just starting the search for properties and seem to be going around in circles.
Vacation Upgrades and Vacation Strategies are two reliable places that you can book Bonnet Creek thru that are very popular with the DIS Community.

You can also look thru the Ebay timeshare rental auctions, as well as several other timeshare rental marketplaces online (TUG, REDWEEK, etc)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Vacation Upgrades and Vacation Strategies are two reliable places that you can book Bonnet Creek thru that are very popular with the DIS Community.

You can also look thru the Ebay timeshare rental auctions, as well as several other timeshare rental marketplaces online (TUG, REDWEEK, etc)
Thank you very much I will look into those

Kirsten
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
there are several Marriott and Hilton timeshares in this area.

to get close to DD and outlet shopping then would suggest Lake Buena Vista area - there is a country inn not too far.

for outlet shopping - there is a Hilton Grand vacation club in walking distance of premium outlet this one
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=17

it is not to far to DD

here is the hilton
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/flo...NGV/index.html

hope you come and look quick these stop at midnight tonight
http://bookit.com/us/florida/orlando...ADID=Tp_106866

Last edited by spiceycat; 07-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote