Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhuff View Post
As ridiculous as all this sounds, i think its good for disney to finally have some control over the fountain machines. I can admit to reusing my mug year after year and have no shame. I just think they should put more fountain machines all over the resorts, not just in the cafeteria, sometimes it can be a hike just to get a drink!
That's what stopped us on the last several trips - nowhere near a fill station!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Just when you thought the test was forgotten and the tech dead...

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013...isney.html?m=1

Seems like this is going in everywhere...what I don't see answered, is can I buy a "length of stay" that covers two separate (but consecutive) resort reservations?

Here's what it says:
- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.

As long as you are within the 14 day LOS pass...seems like you can use them at any resort fill station.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I think the opposite. Jack up the prices and the included mug makes the DDP look like a better deal.
Bingo!

Most of the DDP's now include a refillable mug...almost certainly to make it look like the DDP is a better value.

We find zero value in them...first of all because we're DVC members and we are always in a 1 or 2 BR. Second because the fill stations are forever and a day away from our villas.

Cheaper and more convenient to stock the fridge.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Lady V
I kept waking up so hot!
I get teary eyed and happy all at the same time!

Sounds good to me! If I want to splurge and buy the mugs we will but not until the design changes.
-BCV,HRH,AKV,BWV,
2010-BLT, ASSports,ASMusic, AKV, 2011-SSR2012-CBR, DAAR, BCV
2013 -ASMovies, AKV,POP, AKL 2014-SSR,ASSports, Pop
Disney Dream-Jan 2014, Disney Magic-Feb 2014, Disney Magic-April 2014
Lady V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

for some reason it won't let me quote automagically right now, but from pilferk:

Quote:
Here's what it says:
- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.

As long as you are within the 14 day LOS pass...seems like you can use them at any resort fill station.
Yes, I don't know if I missed that on my first reading, or it was updated...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I don't blame them for this...

but gee...doesn't it seem like old CMB and the beans department have really tightened the screws on the customers across the board the last 3 years or so?

the dining plan costs and reductions, the hotels (while admittedly at somepoints in their histories have seemed like a good deals) are not really a good deal at all anymore, and the huge assault on the price of annual passes last year....

just seems like they buy the hype that the economy is booming and people are raking it in...except that the second part is pure fiction because wages are still down.

8.99 for one day is kinda an insult...you have to suck down 4.5 cups of coke (which costs disney 0.5 cents per cup) to just break even.

I don't know...i don't typically whine about price...but the inflation at WDW is gonna have to take a break sooner or later here. the $4000 vacation is going to quickly become $6,000 or $8,000...and that's hard scratch to swallow for your average peep.

But i know...it's ok because they're paying me back by building Star Wars Land, Carsland, Russia, Brazil, and Spain and two new lands in AK

at least they are dropping the pretense of only being allowed to use the mug where you're staying...and this should give no excuse for them not to keep the self service ones open 24 hours....as it would basically require one custodial employee with minor training to service/clean them and engineering has somebody available 24 hours a day as is.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
8.99 for one day is kinda an insult...you have to suck down 4.5 cups of coke (which costs disney 0.5 cents per cup) to just break even.
Not sure if you really meant a half cent...not sure where that info comes from. The often quoted (and probably urban legend to some degree) is 5 cents per serving.

Looking at some general searches, prices for 5 gal of syrup seem to be around the $7/gal mark. They mix at about a 5.5-to-1 ratio of water/syrup, 1 gal of syrup would make 6.5 gallons of coke

Neglecting cost of water and CO2 and other overhead, that comes to about 93 cents per gallon of finished product.

There are 8 16oz servings per gallon, so we're actually at about 12 cents per serving.

And I bet Disney gets it a lot cheaper.

But that's neither hear nor there...we KNOW there is a great markup because we can get it cheaper at the store already, often less than a buck for 2 liters.

Now, for more than three days, obviously the price has gone up...but we don't know yet what the size of the mugs are. If they are the same size (16oz max fill), then it is an increase. If "Jeff from Finance" is right, they will be increased to 20oz, or a 25% capacity increase...which is more than the actual increase in the cost of the mug (16%).

Will they be bigger? Not sure...but I can see this as a compromise on feedback on how long you have to wait between fills...

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I typically always do the dining plan, so I can't see an adverse effect on me. Of course I still wish the mugs were bigger. I can easily put away a full mug on my walk back to my room.

I do like that they seem to work at all resorts now. Of course who knows how they managed to police this before.

I wish they'd work in the parks. That would make it perfect.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if you really meant a half cent...not sure where that info comes from. The often quoted (and probably urban legend to some degree) is 5 cents per serving.

Looking at some general searches, prices for 5 gal of syrup seem to be around the $7/gal mark. They mix at about a 5.5-to-1 ratio of water/syrup, 1 gal of syrup would make 6.5 gallons of coke

Neglecting cost of water and CO2 and other overhead, that comes to about 93 cents per gallon of finished product.

There are 8 16oz servings per gallon, so we're actually at about 12 cents per serving.

And I bet Disney gets it a lot cheaper.

But that's neither hear nor there...we KNOW there is a great markup because we can get it cheaper at the store already, often less than a buck for 2 liters.

Now, for more than three days, obviously the price has gone up...but we don't know yet what the size of the mugs are. If they are the same size (16oz max fill), then it is an increase. If "Jeff from Finance" is right, they will be increased to 20oz, or a 25% capacity increase...which is more than the actual increase in the cost of the mug (16%).

Will they be bigger? Not sure...but I can see this as a compromise on feedback on how long you have to wait between fills...
i was being a little exaggerated...but you get the point....fountain beverages are high cost and low overhead pound for pound. its like charging more for parking...its just gravy.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
OurFamilyof5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather

No the article does not say you can use them in the park. It clearly states "in the resorts".
So does anything change with the mugs you get inside the park?? You can get mugs inside the park, right?
OurFamilyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
ImDisneyDreaming
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurFamilyof5 View Post

So does anything change with the mugs you get inside the park?? You can get mugs inside the park, right?
No you can't get mugs inside the park. Unfortunately.

Kristi Chris Aerial Christopher M&M Mittens Patches Mittens

Home resort SSR 2012

ImDisneyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurFamilyof5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDisneyDreaming View Post
No you can't get mugs inside the park. Unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure they still have souvenir mugs, etc. in the parks, but they are not the same thing. They don't come with free refills.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

You'd think you'd at least be able to bring an old mug and reactivate it. At least I didn't see anything there that hinted at that. This probably sounds bad to some here, but now I don't feel bad for using the same mugs our past few trips. Being DVC members, this isn't that good of an investment given the distance to get refills, costs, and such. Looks like we'll become more frequent customers of the local Hess stations. Now... how long until we get RFID towels at the pools?

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
You'd think you'd at least be able to bring an old mug and reactivate it. At least I didn't se anything there that hinted at that.
It says specifically that you can't re-use the mugs on another trip.

I'm wondering if there are health code reasons...it definitely isn't a technological one.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they still have souvenir mugs, etc. in the parks, but they are not the same thing. They don't come with free refills.
I got a winter themed mug last December in MK that was identical in shape to the refillable mugs (same mold, different color and graphics).

So I can see where people might assume they were refillable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: