Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
newfiegirl
Hello Mickey!

Davenport area and heading to the beach...please offer advice

i hear cocoa beach is closest, but how does the distance compare with st pete beach? is there another one I am missing that may be even closer than these 2 (in driving distance..)
newfiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
newfiegirl
Hello Mickey!

also, anyone ever visit the jettypark beach?
newfiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

DD lives in Clermont, next to Davenport, and often goes to Clearwater Beach. Siesta Key is also considered to be one of the best areas.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Many people, my family included, would happily drive a few extra minutes to the Gulf side. I don't enjoy the eastern beaches at all. The Gulf has great beaches. Clearwater is a straight shot and has nice facilities.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
bluwater
Mouseketeer

Last week we drove from Disney to Clearwater area as a side trip. Didn't seem far at all. We visited Caladesi Island. I would't even go near the Atlantic beaches - only the Gulf.
bluwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
atwmommy
Mouseketeer

Approx. how long did it take you? We are headed down in 3 weeks and have 2 beach days planned. Thanks.
atwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwmommy View Post
Approx. how long did it take you? We are headed down in 3 weeks and have 2 beach days planned. Thanks.
From Clermont to Clearwater takes a little less than 2 hours. From a Disney Resort, add on a few more minutes.
Cocoa Beach is nice to visit if you have never been to the Atlantic Ocean before. There's a pier and Ron Jon's surf shop is fun to explore. Getting to Cocoa Beach is a little over an hour.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran

It is about the same distance from either coast.

Main thing would be ...Do you want to visit a gulf or an ocean? It is a totally different experience.
If coming during hurricane season- Is there a storm on the ocean or in the gulf? Then go the opposite way to avoid rain or go to see the larger waves caused by the storm.

I am an ocean person and find gulf side beaches a little tame- great for babies though because bottom is more level and they can sit way off shore and play in the water without waves. You can usually find different shells on gulf side so that is a plus, too.

I think both sides are beautiful-just in different ways.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
I am an ocean person and find gulf side beaches a little tame- great for babies though because bottom is more level and they can sit way off shore and play in the water without waves. You can usually find different shells on gulf side so that is a plus, too.

I think both sides are beautiful-just in different ways.
I was about to post something very similar to this. It really depends on what you are looking for -- both are great, but very different.

If you are looking for ocean, go to Cocoa Beach. Very good beaches, real ocean, surfing, etc. Also, depending on where you go on the Atlantic coast, there may be accessible offshore reefs which offer snorkeling or SCUBA opportunities. (The best reefs are in the Keys, south of Miami.)

The other thing the Cocoa Beach area offers, of course, is Kennedy Space Center, so you can easily do a full day touring KSC and splashing in the surf.

If you are looking for a quiet, restful beach experience, the Gulf Beaches may be for you. Lovely beaches, warmer (sometimes too warm) water, almost lake-like except in really bad weather. Shallow, generally even bottoms -- great for little kids, but not for ocean swimming, snorkeling, etc.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote