Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Having a "Me Party" - A solo trip dining review! Update 9/10

I just got back from my very first solo trip to Disney World and it was incredible! I did meet up with friends a few times while I was down there, so I wasn't totally alone the whole time, but I did get to spend some quality time with myself while I was there At first I was hesitant about doing table service by myself, but then I decided I enjoyed it so much and who cared if I was alone! So I ended up doing a mix of counter service and table service.

I was also lucky enough to attend the Disney wedding of one of my friends while I was down there, so I can also give you an inside look at some Disney wedding food - and a Fantasmic dessert party!

Where I Ate

Of course this is what you're most interested in - the food!

Wedding Lunch Buffet
Fantasmic Dessert Party
Cape May Cafe Breakfast
Boma
Katsura Grill
World Showcase Snacks
Via Napoli
Splitsville
Plaza Restaurant
The Mara
Tomorrowland Terrace

Also look for snack reviews along the way!

About Me

Briefly about me - My name is Becky, and I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost two years, but I had to leave my husband at home for this one since he couldn't get the time off from work. I was actually really excited about trying a solo trip. I would get to do things that I wanted to do at my pace, and I would also be able to meet up with some of my friends down there. I currently work as a tutor, but I recently finished my degree in library science and I'm looking for a job as a children's librarian. I also do theater (currently in a production of Jekyll and Hyde), and I like to write (just finished a children's novel that I'm sending out to agents now).

In terms of food, I'm not too picky. I love pasta and seafood, but I don't really care for marinara sauce. I will eat almost anything, though I tend to lean more toward "lighter" choices like fish, chicken, or vegetarian food (I rarely eat beef, though I do enjoy it on occasion!). I also enjoy a lot of ethnic foods, like Japanese, Indian, Thai, and African.

The Savings

I'm an annual passholder, and I have Tables in Wonderland. This was my 3rd Disney trip this year, so I've been keeping a running total of how much I've saved with my TiW card so I know the full value I got out of it! So far this year, prior to this solo trip, I saved $161.18. So although I didn't add a lot to that number this time, it is definitely paying off for me!

Thanks for following along! Also if you're interested, I have a full trip report of my solo adventures here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48890650

Last edited by librarygeek; 09-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
I just got back from my very first solo trip to Disney World and it was incredible! I did meet up with friends a few times while I was down there, so I wasn't totally alone the whole time, but I did get to spend some quality time with myself while I was there At first I was hesitant about doing table service by myself, but then I decided I enjoyed it so much and who cared if I was alone! So I ended up doing a mix of counter service and table service.

I was also lucky enough to attend the Disney wedding of one of my friends while I was down there, so I can also give you an inside look at some Disney wedding food - and a Fantasmic dessert party!

Where I Ate

Of course this is what you're most interested in - the food!

Wedding Lunch Buffet
Fantasmic Dessert Party
Cape May Cafe Breakfast
Boma
Katsura Grill
Via Napoli
Splitsville
Plaza Restaurant
The Mara
Tomorrowland Terrace

Also look for snack reviews along the way!

About Me

Briefly about me - My name is Becky, and I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost two years, but I had to leave my husband at home for this one since he couldn't get the time off from work. I was actually really excited about trying a solo trip. I would get to do things that I wanted to do at my pace, and I would also be able to meet up with some of my friends down there. I currently work as a tutor, but I recently finished my degree in library science and I'm looking for a job as a children's librarian. I also do theater (currently in a production of Jekyll and Hyde), and I like to write (just finished a children's novel that I'm sending out to agents now).

In terms of food, I'm not too picky. I love pasta and seafood, but I don't really care for marinara sauce. I will eat almost anything, though I tend to lean more toward "lighter" choices like fish, chicken, or vegetarian food (I rarely eat beef, though I do enjoy it on occasion!). I also enjoy a lot of ethnic foods, like Japanese, Indian, Thai, and African.

The Savings

I'm an annual passholder, and I have Tables in Wonderland. This was my 3rd Disney trip this year, so I've been keeping a running total of how much I've saved with my TiW card so I know the full value I got out of it! So far this year, prior to this solo trip, I saved $161.18. So although I didn't add a lot to that number this time, it is definitely paying off for me!

Thanks for following along! Also if you're interested, I have a full trip report of my solo adventures here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48890650
Cool! I'm excited to hear about all your restaurant reviews & pics THe wedding looked pretty Jealous that I couldnt afford a wedding there

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Disney's Beignet review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Love Disney Weddings (I had one myself)

Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephorachick View Post
Cool! I'm excited to hear about all your restaurant reviews & pics THe wedding looked pretty Jealous that I couldnt afford a wedding there
I agree with you, I wish I could've done a Disney wedding too! I'm still trying to sell my husband on a Disney vow renewal somewhere down the line

And I saw the link to your blog in your sig... going to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I'm in!

Love Disney Weddings (I had one myself)
That's awesome! What were your locations? This one was at the wedding pavilion for the ceremony and the reception was at Atlantic Dance Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Count me in
Welcome!! Good to "see" you again!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=librarygeek;48893351]I agree with you, I wish I could've done a Disney wedding too! I'm still trying to sell my husband on a Disney vow renewal somewhere down the line

And I saw the link to your blog in your sig... going to check it out!

I've only been married almost 3 years & my hubby already said maybe at our 10 year we could renew vows at WDW!

I had Disney details to my wedding. Click here is interested in seeing them

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...r-wedding.html

Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Following along. I'm heading to Pop next week for my first solo trip!!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

sounds fun. i like the title of your thread, that song always gets stuck in my head after watching the muppets! i love that soundtrack.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Finkerfell
Mouseketeer

Love your thread title, too. Makes me smile Can't wait for the reviews!
October 2010-Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2011-Port Orleans French Quarter
Sept 2012- Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
Sept. 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter
Finkerfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I"m in!

Jill in CO
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=sephorachick;48894382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post

I've only been married almost 3 years & my hubby already said maybe at our 10 year we could renew vows at WDW!

I had Disney details to my wedding. Click here is interested in seeing them

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...r-wedding.html
That would be great! A 10 year vow renewal sounds perfect! And I definitely want to check out your Disney touches. I also did some Disney touches at my wedding, we did a fairy tale theme. I had a planning journal here on the DIS, the link is in my sig if you want to check out some of my stuff too

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Following along. I'm heading to Pop next week for my first solo trip!!
You'll have a great time! There is nothing like a solo trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor View Post
sounds fun. i like the title of your thread, that song always gets stuck in my head after watching the muppets! i love that soundtrack.
Thanks! I adore the Muppets and had this song stuck in my head pretty much all week since it seemed appropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkerfell View Post
Love your thread title, too. Makes me smile Can't wait for the reviews!
Thanks! Reviews to come soon! Hoping to get the first one up tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I"m in!

Jill in CO
Welcome!!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wedding Lunch Buffet

Wednesday night I was staying with a friend, and then on Thursday her husband dropped me off at the Grand to attend my other friend's wedding. The ceremony was beautiful, and then we headed over to Atlantic Dance Hall on the Boardwalk for the pre-reception. If anyone is planning a Disney wedding I know they have a ton of options for food, so here's a peek at what I got to experience!

The pre-reception food was simple, but good. There were a few pastries - I think a cinnamon one and an apple one, and some mini muffins out. I was starving since I hadn't eaten breakfast so I had an apple pastry and a few muffins, but I held back since I knew there would be good food coming later!

They also had a really cute drink station set up - there was lemonade, sweet tea, and regular iced tea. Then you could add various fruits and different types of sugar (for the unsweetened tea). It was a very cute and fun idea!

Around noon we were let downstairs for the actual reception:

Their favors were even food/drink related! They gave everyone a bottle of their favorite root beer:

Another cute touch to their wedding was the colored straws. They had yellow and blue to go with their colors:

Lunch was a buffet, and I had a little bit of almost everything. starting with the roll and going clockwise: roll with butter, garden salad with Mango Poppyseed dressing, Ohana inspired egg noodles with pineapple, assorted potato medley, Parmesan champagne risotto, flank steak, and Parmesan crusted chicken!

The only thing I didn't try was the steamed vegetables, since there were so many more exciting options. Everything was really good. I'd never had risotto before, but it was tasty - just very rich. I loved the egg noodles with pineapple. The mango poppyseed dressing was delicious! The flank steak was very good and they had a variety of different sauces you could choose to go with it - I went with red pepper aioli. The chicken was also very good, but a little dry. There was a marinara sauce to go with it but I don't care for that so I had it alone. Still good though I would've preferred if the chicken itself was a little more moist. Overall though, the food was incredible! What a great lunch! I would easily give this lunch a 9 out of 10. I loved the variety and everything tasted so good.

And then of course for dessert there was...

Wedding cake! And as a special surprise, Daisy and Donald came to help cut the cake!

The inside of the cake:

It was obviously chocolate, and I honestly have no idea what the filling was. It tasted like it was something relatively simple, but I couldn't identify it. It was definitely delicious though!

Overall I was super impressed with the food at the wedding! Disney definitely does not disappoint! And not only that, but there was a Fantasmic dessert party for wedding guests to come later in the evening!

Last edited by librarygeek; 07-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=librarygeek;48901036]Wedding Lunch Buffet

Their favors were even food/drink related! They gave everyone a bottle of their favorite root beer:

That looks like SO much fun! Dominion Root beer is local to my area! The food all looks SOOOOOO good!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I looked at all your wedding journal. It looks so pretty!!! I know how you feel on having a wedding at home & getting more for your $$ wish we were all rich LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: