Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #91
rangerxenos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2527 View Post
Unfortunately there are no computers available for public use..sry
Not the answer I was looking for, but thank you for the quick reply! This is one of the reasons I have never stayed onsite, Disney seems to not offer (or charge extra for) so many things that have been standard in offsite hotels for a decade. I can't believe they were still charging for WiFi until earlier this year!

Looks like I will have to see if work has a netbook I might be able to borrow, I really don't want to have to drag my big laptop with me.
rangerxenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #92
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerxenos View Post
Not the answer I was looking for, but thank you for the quick reply! This is one of the reasons I have never stayed onsite, Disney seems to not offer (or charge extra for) so many things that have been standard in offsite hotels for a decade. I can't believe they were still charging for WiFi until earlier this year!

Looks like I will have to see if work has a netbook I might be able to borrow, I really don't want to have to drag my big laptop with me.
When we were last at Disneyquest in 2008 there were computers to access the internet. Obviously this will only work if you have a ticket but it is an option for those going there and have no other computer access..

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #93
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom55 View Post
Now I am totally confused, when we go to Disney am I going to be at risk if I get on my computer or am I not? What good is it if I get hacked then the whole thing is a big let down for me. I do not understand all this.
You are not secure using public wifi and therefore should stay off bill paying sites/online banking/ordering from shopping sites etc. Anything that is vitally important and has loads of personal info. it is not a good idea to access from public wifi. There is protection software you can buy though. I have never used it but I have seen it out there. Be sure your antivirus is up to date to protect you from any viruses.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...-spots-safely/

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Last edited by Halbleib1; 10-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #94
BWVPam
Loves being at WDW!

Stayed at Saratoga in October 2013. It was free wi-fi, but the connections were so bad, it was hard to be able to do much on the internet.

BWVPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #95
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWVPam View Post
Stayed at Saratoga in October 2013. It was free wi-fi, but the connections were so bad, it was hard to be able to do much on the internet.
Are you from the future?

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #96
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

Stayed at AoA and OKW last week. WiFi in AoA was ok but absolutely useless in OKW, we were grateful if we could get online at all and it was a miracle if we could load more than one page before it crashed. Were trying to check things like park opening and ADRs and it was a nightmare!
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #97
jmorrisey1204
Earning My Ears

Just got back from AOA cars suite. Had no issue with wifi except I had to connect each and every time. Don't know if that was a setting on my side or resort itself.
jmorrisey1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #98
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Here's how to stay safe on public free wireless networks, including Disney's:

Do all these as applicable to your platform:
* Be sure you are protected by up to date antivirus
* Be sure you are up to date for all operating system patches (you do auto-update, don't you?)
* Be sure all your applications are up to date, especially Flash, JAVA, Adobe Reader, and non-Microsoft browsers

When connecting:
* Be sure you are connecting to the official Disney Wi-Fi. If you see multiple similar names but slightly different, do not connect. The risk is that someone broadcasts their own signal to fool you into connecting to them instead
* Turn off all data sharing, or at least for Windows choose "public" for the network type and it will restrict access
* remove sensitive files from your machine (like open text lists of your passwords)

When using:
* Use the https form of all web sites with passwords or login information. If your webmail is http find out if there is a https version instead.
* Don't follow links or open attachments in your email unless you can verify they are safe some other way
* Once you are safely connected the risks are largely the same as any other.
* If your machine is clean and well protected as noted above, It is unlikely anyone on the same network can attack you any better than they can when you are at home or using your smartphone

MACs, Smartphones and tablets have not been as risk prone as Windows PCs,but that is changing... keep up with the best ways to secure all devices.

It has been reported that as many as 40% of all Windows PCs are infected. That means there may be software trying to steal your information. How well are you managing your security?

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #99
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
Are you from the future?
Really fast connection
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #100
acribbs
Earning My Ears

Potential silly question alert!!

Is there wifi at the parks?

Newbie here!! GOing for first time in September!
acribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #101
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Thought I would give an update after using Wi-Fi a lot the last 2 weeks at all 4 parks, and Kidani Village at AKL, and at Beach Club Villas and around these resorts.

Overall, I give it an 7 out of 10 for performance and reliability. It needs improvement and it may still see performance issues as more and more people use it.

Coverage was excellent all around the resorts, in rooms and public areas, with only a few noticeable poor coverage areas. Even the bus stops are covered.

You could tell that evenings at resorts are heavy use times, that's the worst time for performance. During the day, such as a few days when I had to work, it was great.

The only issue we had was with our iPods. My wife had an iPhone which stayed connected to the cellular data network. My daughter and I had iPods and frequent use means locking it and putting it in your pocket, then getting it out again. Locking an iPod disconnects it from Wi-Fi.. so every time you get it out you must wait for it to reconnect. Sometimes that was quick, sometimes it took 1-2 minutes, and sometimes it was stuck and you needed to turn Wi-Fi off and back on to get in.

In addition, if you leave MyDisneyExperience running, it would get stuck at the loss of the connection. I often had to kill and restart it - not many people know how to do this (double tap your main button, press and hold an application to start them vibrating, then tap the "-" sign to close the app.)

I also have some tools on my PC for analyzing wireless networks. I did notice that at BCV they laid out their access point frequencies with too many adjacent on the same channel (frequency.) That will cause performance to degrade. They need to interleave their channels better. But that is easily fixed.

It was great to use My Disney Experience in the parks to see wait times and fastpass return times... reduced my running around a lot and helped direct us to places with decent wait times.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: