Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #1021
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I was up in early June staying in Aruba 57. The grounds, main pool, dining area, quiet pool and shops were excelent. Food wise they had an excellent variety! Loved sitting on a hammock by the beach and the little island area was very cute.

The walk to OPR is not a big deal for me. When you go to WDW you need to put yourself into the frame of mine that you have to walk a lot. No biggie!

Cons: Bus ride around the resort to get to the parks takes forever depending where you are staying. But, the same can be said for POR and CSR. Just hop on a little earlier.

Rooms: Strongly disliked them. It looks older and worn out and it made me wish I'd paid a little less and gone to POP or ASMu. The room was musty, the carpet had a wet spot in it. I take Lysol with me and got some of the smell out using that on the vents to the AC unit.

Unless there is a refurb, I wouldn't stay there again.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #1022
davebon23
Mouseketeer

I think getting rid of Nemo is okay because of AoA. The white in the rooms will be ok, but when I think of Caribbean I think bright colors like the buildings. Hopefully they will add some splash of color along with the white bedspreads to make it more tropical.

HAD TO FIX POST, HOW COME IT KEEPS MESSING UP MY WORDS THAT I TYPE. LOL!!
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]

Last edited by davebon23; 07-07-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: computer messed up words
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1023
LAS321
When you wish upon a star...

We just returned on July 4th from a week's stay in Aruba 54. We love this resort and find the grounds so beautiful and the whole resort just so relaxing.
We did, however, have the horrible mold smell in the room they initially put us in. We knew right away that staying in that room wasn't an option. We called immediately and they apologized and gave us a different room and even upgraded us to a waterview! It was still in Aruba 54, which is a location we love. Even in the new room we had that moldy smell blowing out of the AC unit from time to time. It wasn't anything like the first room, but it did still smell. I don't know what the problem could be but I think it's something they need to address.
We never really had any problems with the buses. Sometimes it took longer to get back to the resort, but it was never a big problem and we try not to get stressed out about that when we're on vacation....it's so nice to have someone else doing the driving!
When we were packing up to leave a Mousekeeper came by with the new throws for the beds....they were just unpacking them and putting them at the foot of the bed over the white quilts....they were the old bedspread design...
While I agree that the rooms could use a little updating, I still think this is the nicest resort of the moderates....we just love it there and can't wait to go back!
1983 ~ Polynesian, 1986 ~ Hotel Plaza, 1988,1991,1993 off-site, 1995,1997~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza, 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 ~Caribbean Beach Resort Port Orleans Riverside 2008,2009, 2010 July 2014~ CSR and POR!!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1024
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Just had an interesting chat session with a Disney rep about the new design of the rooms at CBR. I forgot to copy it before I closed it, but in general she said that it was being changed because of AoA. Now that there are Nemo rooms there they don't need a redundant theme at CBR. She also said they wanted the rooms at CBR to look clean and fresh, whatever that means.
Stephanie, thanks for posting the update! I kind of figured that they would be changing out the Nemo theme since, like the CM said, the AoA now has Nemo. It sounds like you got a CM who actually knew what was going on. Most that I talk to or do an online chat with don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeecanada View Post
Where abouts can the pictures of the two "mock" rooms be found?
I don't remember exactly what page they were on but I know that they were posted on this thread about a month before we left for our stay which was May 22nd.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #1025
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Sigh. I am really not excited to be hearing all these mold reports. Both my son and husband are asthmatic and while it isn't too bad normally, several nights of mold would be awful for them.
I mentioned previously we stayed one night in a room that was damp at CSR. It had mildew up in the high corners. There was no smell though, we were tired and didn't notice it until we went to bed. We stayed and everyone was fine in the morning. I will not hesitate to ask to be moved until I'm in a room that's not going to make my guys sick at CBR. My sisters dog can make my husbands breathing really really bad so I am concerned what a moldy room would do
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #1026
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Radiorox and LAS321, I'm sorry to read that you had musty moldy smells in your rooms. My mother, bless her heart, wouldn't turn on her air conditioner in her room and it had a moldy smell as well. But, once we convinced her to turn on the air and get some air moving, the smell went away. Hopefully, they will do a refurb at the resort and these issues will go away.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #1027
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto
Sigh. I am really not excited to be hearing all these mold reports. Both my son and husband are asthmatic and while it isn't too bad normally, several nights of mold would be awful for them.
I mentioned previously we stayed one night in a room that was damp at CSR. It had mildew up in the high corners. There was no smell though, we were tired and didn't notice it until we went to bed. We stayed and everyone was fine in the morning. I will not hesitate to ask to be moved until I'm in a room that's not going to make my guys sick at CBR. My sisters dog can make my husbands breathing really really bad so I am concerned what a moldy room would do
I have asthma and mold is one of my triggers. In 4 stays at CBR, I've not had any issues. I've had to switch rooms once at POR and once at BC but not at CBR yet.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #1028
hannahmachell
Mouseketeer

I'm sure that the answer to this is somewhere...however I'm going to ask again. Is there a store at CBR? Am thinking of doing an order with garden grocer but wondered what options there were at the resort itself?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #1029
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmachell View Post
I'm sure that the answer to this is somewhere...however I'm going to ask again. Is there a store at CBR? Am thinking of doing an order with garden grocer but wondered what options there were at the resort itself?
Thanks!
Yes there is. It pretty much has all the staples:

Bread
Milk
Chocolate Milk
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Donuts
Chips
Pop
Beer
Liquor
Crackers
Breakfast bars
Granola Bars
Candy

Anything special you would like to know about?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1030
hannahmachell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

Bread
Milk
Chocolate Milk
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Donuts
Chips
Pop
Beer
Liquor
Crackers
Breakfast bars
Granola Bars
Candy

Thanks! That helped a lot...nothing special really. Just wondered if I should be too concerned with garden grocer or not..
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #1031
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahmachell View Post
Thanks!
I posted pictures of some of the items for sale in the store in my trip report. You can use the link in my signature below to access those. There are more pictures on the CBR pic thread.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #1032
musicmama
Now an Irish Dancer's mama

Question Need location advice

DD and I are staying from August 30 to Sep 2nd, reserved "standard". I am somewhat disabled these days and I'm renting a car for easier transport. Don't need a handicapped accessible room (and really don't want one) but stairs and long walks are a problem so I will probably rent a scooter for park visits. Really looking forward to a little bit of pool/beach time but concerned that I won't be able to walk around the resort too well.

What building(s) should I try and request and should I note the problem with stairs? Should we upgrade to preferred?

Thanks in advance. This is our first moderate experience due to a great rate. I'm used to Pop and I know how to navigate there, but I've never seen CBR and really relying on Disers' expert advice!
Christmas 2011 with the motorhome (offsite), July 2011/LeakyCon plus Pop for high school graduation, Christmas 2008/All Stars Music with free dining, August 2007/Pop Century (girls only), August 2006/Pop Century (girls only), Christmas 2005/Ft. Wilderness, Christmas week 2004/offsite, Christmas 2003/Disneyland, May 2001/offsite, May 2000/offsite
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #1033
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Definitely call and have your reservation noted that you can't be placed upstairs for physical reasons.

As for preferred or not, we never do.
I always book standard (or king, sometimes) and just request Jamaica/Aruba near the bridge - it's not that far from there to the food court/shop/pool at Old Port Royale, and the bus rides are easier.

The value of preferred to you would have to be weighed against your personal preferences and budget, but especially with a scooter I wouldn't necessarily call it a must-do.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #1034
ninamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

Bread
Milk
Chocolate Milk
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Donuts
Chips
Pop
Beer
Liquor
Crackers
Breakfast bars
Granola Bars
Candy

Do they have Chip A'Hoys and the big bags of Cheetos? They are my favorite snacks when visiting from the UK!!

Disneyland California 1990
Disneyland California 1993
WDW 1995
WDW 2002
WDW 2005
WDW 2008
WDW CBR 2013
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #1035
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninamouse View Post
Do they have Chip A'Hoys and the big bags of Cheetos? They are my favorite snacks when visiting from the UK!!
I checked the pictures from Mickeystoontown's new TR and they do show the big bags of Cheetos. Didn't see any Chips Ahoy so I don't know about them, but the Cheetos are a yes!

EDIT: Here is the picture showing the Cheetos. She was just there the end of May. Lisa, I hope you don't mind me posting this here for them!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: