Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #1036
MickeyRocksInPA
Earning My Ears

Navigators?

These are great pics. Thanks for sharing.
I wonder if anyone has some newish navigators to share???
MickeyRocksInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #1037
topsy
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=jadedjojo;47388875]Juneau- We did Mendenhall Glacier on our own. Took the blue bus (much, much cheaper than the DCL excursion) and rode to the Glacier. It wasn't a long ride, and we saw a lot of interesting things on the way. We hiked as many of the trails as we could, took the trail to Nugget Falls (incredible!), and took a lot of photos. We didn't see any bears (although the signs were everywhere warning of bears, and someone said we missed a bear by five minutes in the parking lot), but we saw a lot of salmon in the streams and bald eagles. I will rate our own excursion of Mendenhall as 5/5 . Of all of the ports, Juneau had SO much to do, and I was very disappointed we didn't have more time. We only went to Mendenhall and briefly visited the downtown area, and barely made it back to the ship on time! We look forward to visiting again in the future and doing more. [QUOTE]

We would like to get this bus when we're in port in September. Do you remember where you should board, do you pay for tickets on the bus or in advance, is there a bus at 8.00am?

Our whale watching excursion picks us up from the glacier at 10.15am so we want to be there by 8.30am.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1038
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyRocksInPA
These are great pics. Thanks for sharing.
I wonder if anyone has some newish navigators to share???
The navigators from the first cruise of the season can be found at

disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #1039
Jimbob22
Earning My Ears

Skagway: White Pass trainride and trail camp. The first part is about 90 minutes, the views from the left side (per someone else's post) are incredible. The camp is 'liarsville' and is kind of hokey. It was cold, wet, and drizzling a bit, we were not that crazy about this part.

Juneau: Mendenhall, whale watching. Mendenhall is good, we had around 50-60 minutes there, but not quite enough time to comfortably go on some of the longer hikes (3-4 miles).

Not impressed with the whale watching. The boat is not allowed to get close to the whales, so it just goes out, parks a while, and you see a whale or two from very far away. The boat does get hot and stuffy, so I went out on top for a bit.

Ketchican: Ketchican by land and sea. Took bus ride to the totems (Saxman). Driver dropped us off and we had 15 minutes to observe them. We were the only group without a guide to give us good explanations of them. Then we got back on bus and went to tour of non-working cannery (Libby cannery, closed in 1957). This was actually kind of interesting. Scintillating? Not sure, but kind of interesting to see a historical cannery. The Native American guide was eloquent and interesting. Then a boat ride back to port, it stopped here and there to point things out, but I didn't find it all that scintillating.

We spent around a grand on excursions, overall I didn't feel all that overwhelmed (these were all booked thru Disney). I'd advise against any whale watching or boat rides. If you have good waterproof shoes, I'd look into some self guided hikes and save a lot of money.

The White Pass rr, Mendenhall glacier, and the Libby cannery are all of potential interest, but there are likely cheaper ways to get to them.

Last edited by Jimbob22; 07-02-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #1040
mamahemingway
Earning My Ears

Helicopter - Juneau / Skagway

What port would you recommend for helicopter?
I was thinking of doing Mendenhall glacier on our own to save money in
Juneau and helicopter in Skagway, thoughts ?

Only other idea was Rum Runner in Juneau. That is more money and not sure enlightened time to see glacier too.

Ketchikan we have Island Air float plane booked

Thank you!!!

Ps -I can't seem to find how to book helicopter on own? They said book with DCL?
mamahemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #1041
Spart02
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahemingway View Post
What port would you recommend for helicopter?
I was thinking of doing Mendenhall glacier on our own to save money in
Juneau and helicopter in Skagway, thoughts ?

Only other idea was Rum Runner in Juneau. That is more money and not sure enlightened time to see glacier too.

Ketchikan we have Island Air float plane booked

Thank you!!!

Ps -I can't seem to find how to book helicopter on own? They said book with DCL?
We loved our helicopter adventure in Skagway! Here's who we booked through:

TEMSCO Helicopters, Inc.
P. O. Box 434
Skagway, AK. 99840
907-983-2900
866-683-2900 toll free
907-983-2981 Fax
skg_staff@temscoair.com

Let me know if you have any questions about TEMSCO in Skagway.

May 98 - CBR - Honeymoon
Jan. 02 - Offsite - DoubleTree Club
Jan. 04 - POP
Jan. 06 - POP
Sept. 06 - Disneyland Hotel
Dec. 07 - POP
Jan. 09 - Wilderness Lodge
Jan. 10 - Dreams Villas
Oct. 10 - Dreams Villas
Jan. 12 - Disney Dream Cruise, then Bay Lake Tower
June 13 - Wonder - Alaska!
May 14 - Magic - Transatlantic
Spart02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #1042
rwhistler92
Mouseketeer

I can't wait subscribing to this thread.
rwhistler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #1043
mjp526
Earning My Ears

Subbing. Thank you for all the great info!
mjp526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #1044
Hedd4DW
Earning My Ears

Another good recommendation for TEMSCO. We were booked in Skagway, but it was cancelled due to the weather. We were able to re-book for the next day in Juneau. It was awesome and so glad we didn't miss it.

We did whale watching early on the Juneau day with Harv and Marv's and really enjoyed that as well. We didn't have enough time after the helicopter to see much of Juneau. I would have liked to explore Mendenhall and hike to the waterfall. Please note - take the Disney shuttle bus from the dropoff in Juneau to the ship. It is a LONG walk, but we did not know about the shuttle.

We did the White Pass Railway in Skagway and enjoyed it, despite the fog and rain. I would recommend some type of excursion in Ketchikan; we tried to see it on our own and the kids got bored fast.
Hedd4DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1045
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the tip about the Disney shuttle in Juneau. Where do we find it?

Thanks!
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #1046
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
Thanks for the tip about the Disney shuttle in Juneau. Where do we find it?

Thanks!
Yes. Curious to know running times as well
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #1047
Hedd4DW
Earning My Ears

The Disney shuttle to the ship in Juneau was in the circle drop off right at the bottom of the Mt Roberts Tramway. That is where our excursion dropped us off - wish I had known to get on the Disney shuttle to get back to the ship! They were big tour buses with the Disney shuttle sign in the front window and ran frequently. We saw several pass us as we walked.
Hedd4DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #1048
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd4DW View Post
The Disney shuttle to the ship in Juneau was in the circle drop off right at the bottom of the Mt Roberts Tramway. That is where our excursion dropped us off - wish I had known to get on the Disney shuttle to get back to the ship! They were big tour buses with the Disney shuttle sign in the front window and ran frequently. We saw several pass us as we walked.
Is this a free shuttle?
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #1049
mamahemingway
Earning My Ears

What time did you go? Do you think the time matters ? I was going to book 9:45 am
so that we have time after.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #1050
mamahemingway
Earning My Ears

Hedd4DW thank you for your response.

We are going to book helicopter for Skagway.
You have me thinking that maybe we should skip the Rum Runner Whale Watch so that in case we have to rebook the helicopter for Juneau we have more flexibility. Do you think your Harv and Marv tour was the highlight of your trip and we should not miss the whale watching in Juneau even if it means that we don't get to the Mendenhall glacier? I am worried about the drive to the glacier ( I know it is not that far, but I hear the shuttles only run once an hour from the Mendenhall glacier vistor center back to the ship) and we have a pretty short day in Juneau.

In Ketchikan we are doing a float plane at 3pm and was hoping to see the Saxam Totem pole before that.

Thank you!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: