Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spodie View Post
Sorry if this has been posted/debated before, but this has really bothered me since getting back from my trip on Friday and would like to hear your input/thoughts/experiences.

Last week, we did a split stay - three nights at Port Orleans Riverside and four nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Because I had never stayed at either resort, I spent a good deal of time exploring and experiencing each resort. That, along with walking to and from the room, eateries, and the pool, made for me walking past many CMs.

I cannot tell you how many CMs I encountered on my stay who I walked past who did not acknowledge me. At all. I'm not talking about me being one of a long line of people filtering out of the pool area. I'm talking about me and a CM in a corridor or pathway and getting NOTHING. I would smile and they would just continue to stare straight ahead - it started to become almost comical. But really, I began to feel like I was a ghost.

The first time it happened, I wrote it off. The second time, I thought it was weird. After the third time, I started counting. I would smile at every CM I came into contact with (not anything different from what I would normally do). Many of them would smile or offer some kind of greeting, but the number of them who did not was staggering, especially when you keep in mind that a simple greeting is so easy! Depending on how picky I want to be with the acknowledgements, it was around 15 CMs over the course of 7 days. Ouch.

Now, I'm not saying that each CM I run into needs to give me a standing ovation or sprinkle rose petals for me down the hallway, but isn't it the first rule of good hotel hospitality (and normal social decency) to at least acknowledge a person with a smile, hello, or at least a nod, especially if you are the only two people on a pathway/corridor? In that regard, I was treated better by complete strangers in the hallway at times!

I know that this was a small detail in an otherwise smooth trip, but small details go a long way, especially when you're paying $200-$300/night to stay there.

If this is how CMs are going to treat guests, what would keep me there, especially when there is a Four Seasons opening soon right on the outskirts of Disney??
I have never heard of that being the first rule of hospitality. If anything, I though housekeeping was supposed to be invisible.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
gogo
DIS Veteran

OP, after reading your post it did jog my memory while staying at the Poly in the Hawaii Bldg. It has been a couple of years. But, I do remember coming and going past the CM desk as you enter the bldg. The CM's sitting there rarely looked up from their desk and I thought that was a little indifferent on their part. So, I do get what you are saying. Although, I haven't thought of it until reading this thread.

Another time while staying on the Club level at the Beach Club, I had to walk approximatley 3 hallways to get to my room. A male CM was walking at a fast clip with a food cart and almost ran me over. I actually smiled and stepped out of the way. I caught a disgusted look on his face as though I was in his way. Now, that irritated me for a little while after.

But, overall, most CM's have been friendly and it hasn't negatively effected my vacation. Sorry, you encountered it so much. Hope everything else was good!
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I stayed a week at AKL in June and the CM's seemed extremely friendly.. I got many welcome home's and happy birthdays.. To the point i would be discussing something with my DD and I wouldn't hear it till my DD made me aware
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #34
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Well, when we went in 2009 & stayed at POFQ, you would think that we were the enemy as far as the CM's were concerned. Just about every single one we encountered was either rude or just whatever in concern of us. Now, the one's we did encounter were the ones flying by on golf carts, the receptionist (which I was actually embarrassed by her attitude while with my DD), or the food service workers. The housekeepers were great! Now, I don't expect anything special at all, but I also expect better customer service than my local Walmart for the amount of money I paid to stay there.

Heck, I was even spoken to as a child & embarrassed in front of my kids for asking about the line for a ride from an old man. Old man, you need to just retire. I'm just now after 4 years considering a return visit & the lack of customer service has been a great factor.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

just have to say that this is the strangest complaint I have read about on the dis......lines, crowds, heat....I get...but not saying hi in a resort??
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
MyHappiestPlace
Mouseketeer

Location: Hop, skip and jump from The Happiest Place on Earth

I have had only great encounters this visit. Stayed one night at poly and then two at fort. All the CM at the Poly said aloha whether it was front desk merchandise or food and beverage. And I stayed on July 4 when the resort was a madhouse! Capt cooks was insane and they sell managed to say aloha and accommodate all my allergy requests with no issues.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkeys View Post
just have to say that this is the strangest complaint I have read about on the dis......lines, crowds, heat....I get...but not saying hi in a resort??

I kind of read between the lines and I didn't take it that the OP was disheartened by CM's not saying Hi. It sounded like it was being ignored or acknowledged when there were just the two of them in a hallway, etc. When something repeatedly occurs, I think a person does take notice.

I don't think the post was strange at all. It was something the OP experienced and wanted to comment on it. Let's not make people afraid to post comments or experiences.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #38
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkeys View Post
My initial reaction to this post was the same as yours. However after giving it some thought I think I understand. I remember our first WDW trip in 2008 noticing how happy and friendly all the CM's were. I must admit it does add to the magic of a Disney trip. Encountering pleasant happy people around every corner you can't help but be happy yourself. It is infectious. I found about 90% of the WDW CM's to be this way and our two stays at CSR since then were the same.

I haven't experienced that same level of pleasantness consistently at any other resort we've stayed at. Yes there are good people everywhere, but not as consistent as WDW. I think I probably would notice next trip if that changed. It wouldn't ruin my trip, but I would notice. I think that's all the OP was getting at that they noticed a difference. I always wondered where they find 10,000 people that happy to hire in one area!
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

We are here now...been here for 10 days and leaving tomorrow. We stayed one night at POR and the remainder at BC, club level. I have noticed most all of the castmembers we have encountered-at the resorts, parks, or restaurants-to be friendly and helpful.
I have also noticed a ridiculous amount of unsupervised, loud, badly behaved children everywhere. I have noticed guests YELLING at lifeguards at the pool. I have noticed a woman belittling a club castmember for not having sugar-free cookies at her disposal at 10:00pm. In short, I have noticed an abundance of rude, snarky guests with an extreme sense of entitlement and no sense of ownership for their own vacation enjoyment.
These castmembers come from all over the world, and deal with people from all over the world. I think they do their best to help each guest have a magical vacation.
So sorry your experience wasn't what you had hoped for. Maybe your next trip will be better

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #40
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
We are here now...been here for 10 days and leaving tomorrow. We stayed one night at POR and the remainder at BC, club level. I have noticed most all of the castmembers we have encountered-at the resorts, parks, or restaurants-to be friendly and helpful.
I have also noticed a ridiculous amount of unsupervised, loud, badly behaved children everywhere. I have noticed guests YELLING at lifeguards at the pool. I have noticed a woman belittling a club castmember for not having sugar-free cookies at her disposal at 10:00pm. In short, I have noticed an abundance of rude, snarky guests with an extreme sense of entitlement and no sense of ownership for their own vacation enjoyment.
These castmembers come from all over the world, and deal with people from all over the world. I think they do their best to help each guest have a magical vacation.
So sorry your experience wasn't what you had hoped for. Maybe your next trip will be better
An unfortunately common state of the world right now. Rather than be grateful for the abundance we have been blessed with, we demand even more. We have lost our awareness that our words / actions have impact on others. Causes me to check my own behavior and express my gratefulness to CMs. I really do appreciate their work.

ASMo -1999, POP -2006, DLR - 2007, ASMo -2008, ASMu -2009, BCV - 2010, CSR - 2011, POFQ - 2012, BC - 2012, WL / CR - 2013 POR - 2014, POP! - 2014 POFQ - 2014 POFQ - 2015 SO Blessed !
DWillowBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Our trip in 2010 to CSR gave us a good mix of folks. but overall, the CM were helpful and friendly. Those who didn't make a notice of us, were on a mission. Followed one and saw that there was a hurt guest in the lobby...that's why he didn't smile on his way past us at the CS.

Some bus drivers just loaded the buses, but when we were on the wrong bus, the driver called dispatch and dropped us at our resort stop (not the main one..the one at our room) and then proceeded to take the rest of the folks on to AKL.

It has been well stated by PP that we are more rude and more demanding now that prices have gone up on all our lives. And those of us who perhaps aren't ever in those shoes, maybe we can stop and smile at other guests in the place of a CM.

OP I thank you for bringing this view of your experience to the boards so we have the opportunity to think about and discuss it. I also hope, as others have said, you have a better trip in the future and that this doesn't spoil your memories. Of course, making a game out of it, says that you are a good sport about gray clouds.

MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWillowBay View Post
An unfortunately common state of the world right now. Rather than be grateful for the abundance we have been blessed with, we demand even more. We have lost our awareness that our words / actions have impact on others. Causes me to check my own behavior and express my gratefulness to CMs. I really do appreciate their work.
I completely agree! I find it really sad that many times these castmembers are young people, working through college or for the summer, and grown adults are being unkind to them. Or older folks, who are retired and just keeping busy or working part time for a little extra. We spoke with a retired man from Indiana who owns a second home down here. He was working the night parade in the MK. He's been coming down for a decade and working at the parks, and I couldn't believe how hard he was working to keep kids from climbing light posts and sitting on top of trash cans during the parade. With parents sitting right there and doing absolutely nothing!

Sorry to be off topic. I'll get off my soap box now!

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #43
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the Entitlement Generation!!
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #44
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We have been going for many, many years and have stayed at both of the resorts you mentioned recently.

We only had very friendly cast members. But one not speaking to me, would never make an impression on me at all.

However there are times I speak first, which if this bothered you, I am surprised you did not speak a greeting to them.

Quote:
Depending on how picky I want to be

I am sorry, but yes it sounds picky to me.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #45
momofkids
Mouseketeer

We were just there in November. The Cast Members all acknowledged us at least when we smiled or nodded at them. The CMs are always so great that I would notice if we were "snubbed". My husband likes to go to Disney primarily because of the niceness of Disney employees. I don't think the OP was saying it ruined the vacation. OP just said that it was noticeable and bothering him/her since the return home. I really find it hard to believe that many of you wouldn't notice that you smiled or greeted someone, and they ignored you. I would be a little disappointed in the situation too. Customer service is what we love about Disney resorts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: